• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Human to Elf miner

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail fellow miners,

I mined for years in the dark tunnels, caverns, and along cliffs on my human character Armoth. Recently I had made my gargoyle Multnomah as my crafter and moved mining over to my elf friend the lumberjack Rumil.

Big difference in getting special gems and colored ore. Such a big difference the pain about the random ore spawns rests a little lighter on my mind. Luckily my elf friend knows magery and can mark runes. Compared to my human friend Armoth, now merely a tinker, the sacred journey and never marking runes to ore veins my Rumil is getting along quite nicely mining.

I don't have any great runebooks marked yet of valorite like the old days but elf's are certainly better miners than humans. I am starting to turn my nose up at humans as I walk by and sometimes sneer a little under my bascinet.

-Lorax

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have thought about changing mine to elf but since I have imbuing,tailoring,tinkering,blacksmith all on one I tend to need the extra carrying capacity of the human! I may try it and if i dont like it or it doesnt work for me i can always switch back!

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have thought about changing mine to elf but since I have imbuing,tailoring,tinkering,blacksmith all on one I tend to need the extra carrying capacity of the human! I may try it and if i dont like it or it doesnt work for me i can always switch back!
Ya first thing I did was made him jewelry that included +8 strength each.

-Lorax

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And, truthfully, mileage may vary on the ore and gems.

I've seen people test it and say the elf is better, while mining side by side with my human and a friend's elf, I saw no difference at all (about as much variation that could be attributed to the Random number generator). On several occasions I even got more of the special gems than him.

Lumberjack is better on an elf, for sure. But mining, it comes down to a promise of more ore, that may be a phantom (since the ratios of iron to colored the devs THINK are the same from spot to spot, AREN'T), and given the number of swings per ore spot, the chance for an extra ore for human about cancels the elf advantage (as it actually exists, not how the devs think it exists) for those that don't mine fel (in Fel, though, the elves do have more of an advantage, since the human 10% bonus doesn't double).

So it comes down to more of the ML gems as an elf (which are subject to the extremely fickle RNG under the best of situations), vs. ability to mine twice as long per trip as a human. Given I mine mostly in Ilshenar, where I can't recall into if I recall out to unload, I prefer human.