• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Huge FPS loss due to player macroing.

klapios

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
This is going on atlantic right now:

He's able to spam those red circle things under him at an extreme rate and when ever I walk by I have a huge drop in perfomance, easily down from 60 to around 5-10 fps.

I have no idea what he's doing but there is a huge potential for explotation and griefing due to this, ive never seen it before. He is doing at the same time he is macroing bushido.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is going on atlantic right now:

He's able to spam those red circle things under him at an extreme rate and when ever I walk by I have a huge drop in perfomance, easily down from 60 to around 5-10 fps.

I have no idea what he's doing but there is a huge potential for explotation and griefing due to this, ive never seen it before. He is doing at the same time he is macroing bushido.
Report it to a GM and let them take care of it no matter what the result is.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EC 4 teh win ... again - lol (*sarcasm*)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
what is wrong with this scenario? one player can lag your game??!
Yes because for some reason there is an incredible amount of something going on with any intense graphic animation sent to the EC. Nova Blast is good for pretty much locking up anyone in the EC... yet no matter how many times we beg and plead NOTHING is done about it. We ask that this kind of crap isn't put on bosses for the EM Events since it pretty much gives an extremely unfair advantage to everyone in the CC... yet this falls on deaf ears. I gave up asking. I gave up reporting it... why bother.

Pretty sure that most these intense graphics cause a massive memory leak or something in the EC. But who knows... All I know is it certainly kills my game play and ability to enjoy events. Imagine 10 people all doing that at an EM Event.

I know it's not my computer nor is it my Graphics card.... it happens to me and others I'm in vent with during events... It happened on my old PC and it happens on my new PC... My computer has a Pentium i7 in it... with 16 gigs of ram and a Nvidia GTX970 with 2 Gigs of it's own Ram in it... I can play any number of other graphically intense games with no issues at all... yet playing UO .... locks me up.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Turn off particle effects for others except you and your target, problem solved.

Edit:

In the User Settings, go to the Graphics tab and scroll to the bottom and you will find:

I'd suggest lowering the particle detail as well. You might also want to turn off Mob Shadows, which is just above this.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I second Dot's suggestion.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yes because for some reason there is an incredible amount of something going on with any intense graphic animation sent to the EC. Nova Blast is good for pretty much locking up anyone in the EC... yet no matter how many times we beg and plead NOTHING is done about it. We ask that this kind of crap isn't put on bosses for the EM Events since it pretty much gives an extremely unfair advantage to everyone in the CC... yet this falls on deaf ears. I gave up asking. I gave up reporting it... why bother.

Pretty sure that most these intense graphics cause a massive memory leak or something in the EC. But who knows... All I know is it certainly kills my game play and ability to enjoy events. Imagine 10 people all doing that at an EM Event.

I know it's not my computer nor is it my Graphics card.... it happens to me and others I'm in vent with during events... It happened on my old PC and it happens on my new PC... My computer has a Pentium i7 in it... with 16 gigs of ram and a Nvidia GTX970 with 2 Gigs of it's own Ram in it... I can play any number of other graphically intense games with no issues at all... yet playing UO .... locks me up.
Its quite impressive actually how they have managed to keep that 1990s feel with UO despite the vastly more powerful hardware we have now, it must have taken a lot of effort on their part to keep the authentic dial-up modem clunky lagfest as you go past houses or more than about 4 players despite the much faster broadband connections we have now that run much more complex online games smoothly.

Kudos to them also in managing to make an "enhanced" client that wouldn't look out of place on an Amiga 500 but appears to be more taxing on modern equipment than games like GTA5 or Fallout 4, its quite an achievement

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kudos to them also in managing to make an "enhanced" client that wouldn't look out of place on an Amiga 500 but appears to be more taxing on modern equipment than games like GTA5 or Fallout 4, its quite an achievement
While I'm all for sarcasm, including what you said, the reason the EC is "taxing" on modern hardware is because video cards aren't really designed to draw both 3D objects (in EC this would be the terrain) along with static sprites and animated sprites pasted onto invisible polygons at the same time.

There were an avalanche of bad design choices (especially choosing sprites over fully 3D models) made with KR that flowed into the even more dumbed-down EC.

(And yes, I only use the EC)

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You mean the lag isn't because I'm on satellite internet?

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
just imagine being at an event, lol. there are people doing the chat spam crash at events when boss appears but u wont see it. u will fell it lol. use to only be done for pvp. cant go into it here but the devs know about it. speeders get turned up, ect... Hint, have to look before u can stop it lol.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
On a rotary phone! With static like crazy! As long as you don't visit any sites with pictures it's ok.
Actually... if you can restrict yourself to sites with no pictures OR words, you'd probably feel like you're on cable internet!

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Ditto what weaver said above....

I don't see what is being exploited? Someone training bushido like everyone else does... go team...

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Turn off particle effects for others except you and your target, problem solved.

Edit:

In the User Settings, go to the Graphics tab and scroll to the bottom and you will find:

I'd suggest lowering the particle detail as well. You might also want to turn off Mob Shadows, which is just above this.
I never noticed that setting before but will try it, thanks

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Report it to a GM and let them take care of it no matter what the result is.
Ditto what weaver said above....

I don't see what is being exploited? Someone training bushido like everyone else does... go team...

I just went and made a sandwhich 10-15 mins ago while training archery and literally got paged on and moved to the "jail" for "unattended macroing".

they sent the warning to my account email.

Hell i should be careful i might be paged on while writing this response.

if this is their main area of concern vs speedhacking duping and scripting, their priorities are extremely skewed.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Mesanna pretty much threw open the doors for everything but unattended macroing :coco:
I was actually floored that a GM showed up that quick to move me. I literally went and made a sandwich and ate it, and by the time I got back I was moved into some random place with gates.

I mean by all means ban me, though its not advisable to tell the banning GM to eat a kitten, but I digress.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Where was this? I seems awfully petty of somebody - not the GM but the person who reported it

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Where was this? I seems awfully petty of somebody - not the GM but the person who reported it
This was on Great Lakes and It was petty, there was no other point to do it than to be obnoxious since most people saw me move around and talk in general chat just before i stepped away for a moment.

klapios

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
uhhhhh.......

Better graphics card and CPU?
my computer can handle much more graphically intense game than this one, some one mentioned it before but this game is rendered very inefficiently. I tried replicating the lag with lightning strike on my hot key and I go no where near to the amount of lag caused by this player, the particle filter seems like a good solution. Honestly this is something the devs should really look into. I didn't page on the guy but when i tried talking to him he was obviously afk. Sensu if that's you I would consider changing your macro to activate lightning strike every 1.25 seconds not every 0.1 seconds lol.

Last edited:

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I hate EC and yes all Uo clients are horrible and will eat up your CPU its very CPU and Graphic Intensive without the actual "Graphics" it sucks up more then it should. I am sure In EC Its even worse with all that NEON blobbby crap lol

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I was actually floored that a GM showed up that quick to move me. I literally went and made a sandwich and ate it, and by the time I got back I was moved into some random place with gates.

I mean by all means ban me, though its not advisable to tell the banning GM to eat a kitten, but I digress.
ya, ive 'left to make a sandwich' before and left my guy training too.
i guess the question then is did i really need to be gone for 18 hours to make a sandwich?
the answer is - depends on how much you like sandwiches i guess.

wink wink, nudge nudge.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
ya, ive 'left to make a sandwich' before and left my guy training too.
i guess the question then is did i really need to be gone for 18 hours to make a sandwich?
the answer is - depends on how much you like sandwiches i guess.

wink wink, nudge nudge.

I would not have bothered to post if I knew I was unattended all day. I couldn't have been gone more than 5-10 minutes.

To add, it wasn't as if I were scripting either, i was practicing on a wolf spider with a bow. That was my "crime".

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
unfortunately the order of that day is you can run whatever you wanna run just as long as your attended while doing it.

if your unattended even for a second...... well..... may Valhalla have mercy on your soul.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
unfortunately the order of that day is you can run whatever you wanna run just as long as your attended while doing it.

if your unattended even for a second...... well..... may Valhalla have mercy on your soul.
It is sad to see UO come to this and if this is in fact UO's stance then why can't we speak of the other programs now?

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It is sad to see UO come to this and if this is in fact UO's stance then why can't we speak of the other programs now?
Come to this?
As long as these types of games have existed there have been people exploiting and cheating in them, much the same as in real life, battlegrounds in WoW are full of people running bot programs that give the passing impression of them playing in order to leech from those actually playing, often so much so that it ruined your teams chance of winning, and just like this everyone was saying "nothing is ever done, the devs don't care" etc.

I saw a thread here a while back saying they wish the UO devs would take actions like Blizzard(WoW) do, companies cannot really publish methods they use to prevent such things as its essentially giving information about how to get around them, nor is it really ethical to publish lists of people banned for such things.

People assume an incident they personally witnessed is proof nothing is ever done, its like being in a traffic jam on a motorway and one guy decides to cheat by illegally using the slip-road, you will get some who moan the police don't do anything, others that will think "well if he can do it, I will", fact is the police cannot be everywhere at once, but if he continues to do it he eventually gets caught along with the sheep that followed assuming it was ok.