• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How's siege doin?

G

Been thinking of coming back to siege. I last played in early 2007. Main char names were Cael Gevitath and Tyrst Bellitor. I originally left because i got fed up with ROT... but im thinking of giving it another shot.

How's the shard population now vs. a few months ago? More people? Less? How are the guilds aligned? Any blue zergs? How's the demand for tailor reward stuff, since that was my main income?

G

*shrugs* Probably fewer players in line with the general UO trend, thanks in part to the sheer incompetence of those running it.

Guilds are mostly aligned into one of three alliances; KoC, Circle of Flame and HHSF.

There is a major change coming with BODs (probably next publish) which should increase the availability of good smith ones and the intensity you can get from hammers/sewing kits.

G

Sheesh... what a resounding response. :/

Guess that answers one question: the shard's deader than ever. lol

G

*smiles* Siege keeps me busy. I am only bored when I want to be.

G

You can hardly judge the quality of Siege by the board activity between christmas and new year, can you?

Kind regards

G

I have never played siege in my 10 years of playing UO, what's the best part about playing this shard? What makes you guys play it?

K

Kat SP

Danger! It's exciting, thrilling and motivating! It's the driving force of Siege.

G

On Europa I have seen on several occasions that a player follows another player who is training something, taming in this case, around and keeps annoying that player by calling them names, telling what a n00b he is etc. And as long as he doesn't violate race/sex... whatever rules, there is not a thing you can do about it.

That sort of thing cannot be done on Siege

Kind regards

G

Man, I do not even know where to begin. Community sounds trite, but it is #1 reason.

A

AntiOTF

<blockquote><hr>

I have never played siege in my 10 years of playing UO, what's the best part about playing this shard? What makes you guys play it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't buy into the whole great community thing, read through these threads and you'll see just how great this community is. It's a click thing here, either you're in, or you're out.

G

*shakes head* That almost made me sad. I would take you seriously if you knew the difference between "click" and "clique".

A

AntiOTF

the word I really wanted to say was a 4 letter word ending with the letter T.

I

imported_mo'gluk

and I will say waiting 2+ hours for a reply to a comment like that is hard many poepel are watching each post to see what others are saying and then they will chime in...

I think siege is doing okay for the amount of effort EA is putting into it

S

Sergul'zan_SP

<blockquote><hr>

*shrugs* Probably fewer players in line with the general UO trend, thanks in part to the sheer incompetence of those running it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my statement you thief!

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Hands down, community, I guess I must be in the clique... well actually all of Siege is a clique, with a few outcasts thrown in.

Funny thing is, the outcasts don't even remain outcast here. They flow in and out of guilds and alliances.

If you wish to play where it is easy to make great friends, Siege is the place to be.

G

I arrived here about 18 months ago now, although I still play on Europa too. I can't pvp so I play a crafter.

For me it's not the danger so much as the way it makes me think. I started the char with no intention of staying, just claiming an ethy for my husband's char, so when I decided to stay all my skills had to be trained from 0. Just working out what order I needed to train them in was a challenge.
Can't buy skills or resources here, can't sell junk to npcs to get gold either.

I have no magery, so I have to think about things more. Where am I going? what's the safest way to get there? What resources do I need? Is there a way I can get them myself? The questions all challenge me to find an answer.

as for 'cliques' I haven't found a problem being accepted into the community.

A

AntiOTF

For the love of God, will someone please explain to me what they think is so great about the siege community? Seriously, I really would like to hear this. There is more griefing on this shard than prolly any other shard, so please explain to me this greatness you speak of. If you people want the reputation of a great community, then you must start living this reputation, not just speaking of it.

I've seen account thieving and all other kinds of crap here, but I do anticipate your answer.

P

Paul the Samurai

<blockquote><hr>

For the love of God, will someone please explain to me what they think is so great about the siege community? Seriously, I really would like to hear this. There is more griefing on this shard than prolly any other shard, so please explain to me this greatness you speak of. If you people want the reputation of a great community, then you must start living this reputation, not just speaking of it.

I've seen account thieving and all other kinds of crap here, but I do anticipate your answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people talk about a "siege community" with passion, because there are relatively less people, everyone knows each other, you are more likely to run into the same people each day, interact and communicate with them. Then they become more "real" than just another bunch of pixels.
Perhaps on larger shards this is harder to accomplish, because you are just one of the masses. It is sort of like in RL, do you feel like your State has a community, or do you think of your school, class, church etc. Again one is more real because you know everyone.
Personally I think that when something happens on Siege to me, good or bad, it is somehow more engaging, more "real" if you will.
My few attempts to play trammy shards always left me with the same feeling: fake, commercial, safe---&gt;unreal. Now this a virtual world so "real" is obviously relative.