• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How will SA be different?

V

Vyal

Other then new content?
I have read about it for a while now and you don't specify what if any changes are going into the client.

I'm talking about engine improvements, such as 2d skeleton animations - maybe 2d ragdoll? Things like that.

all I heard about is ooo new races and skills and ok well any idiot can script that stuff into a server.

T

Tazar

For one thing... we know that the KR Crafting system will be brought over to the 2D client. (Make #, Make Max, etc.)

N

NewThunder

Nothing will be different; history will repeat itself, they will make yet another client they the customer base does not want and will not accept, they will release it early; it will be riddles with bugs; they will try to force the players to buy it by having special pre-order gifts that will only be available once, or until they need more cash.

L

Lord Deception

Nothing will be different; history will repeat itself, they will make yet another client they the customer base does not want and will not accept, they will release it early; it will be riddles with bugs; they will try to force the players to buy it by having special pre-order gifts that will only be available once, or until they need more cash.
You're funny.
But, that's what I was about to say also. http://vboards.stratics.com/images/set1/001_tt2.gif

ChrisR_EAMythic

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not quite. The new client is not going to be released early, nor will it be riddled with bugs. We will also not try to force players into using it, nor will we charge for it. There are a host of features (such as the ability to mod the client) that we cannot for technical reasons integrate into the legacy client. However, both clients will work with the game.

Keep in mind that the new client is not another attempt at a 3D client. It's still 2D, but with a slew of new features designed to enhance gameplay.

I hope that answers your questions.

Also, it's not lost on me that this post, being my first on Stratics, is taking place on April Fools day and is completely out of the blue, but I assure you that it's not a prank... I've been visiting the UO Stratics forums and reading for a couple of years now, but as you can see I don't get a lot of time to take part in discussions. However, I hope to be able to spend a little more time for that now and into the future. :)

N

NewThunder

Not quite. The new client is not going to be released early, nor will it be riddled with bugs. We will also not try to force players into using it, nor will we charge for it. There are a host of features (such as the ability to mod the client) that we cannot for technical reasons integrate into the legacy client. However, both clients will work with the game.

Keep in mind that the new client is not another attempt at a 3D client. It's still 2D, but with a slew of new features designed to enhance gameplay.

I hope that answers your questions.

Also, it's not lost on me that this post, being my first on Stratics, is taking place on April Fools day and is completely out of the blue, but I assure you that it's not a prank... I've been visiting the UO Stratics forums and reading for a couple of years now, but as you can see I don't get a lot of time to take part in discussions. However, I hope to be able to spend a little more time for that now and into the future. :)
Thank you for the reply!

I really do hope that the new Client is a great client, I will try to stop being negative about it; after the KR launch it is just hard to get exited. I am glad to hear that is wil not try to be a 3d client.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

so does 'more time' translate to 'damn, nearly there!' ??

D

Deepwoods

What kind of release date are we looking at ???????????????????

V

Vyal

Nice glad you made a post.
However I havn't got an answer to my question.
I know you guys are not doing anything crazy or special just another client update pretty much right?

That sux. 2d skeletons and bones system would be to ****ing aswome in a game like UO. Instead of saying ooo I hit you with nothing more then blood drops on the ground you have 2d ragdoll effectand the guys head goes swinging back or something. BUT...
The caliber of programmer working on UO prolly doesn't even know wtf physics are rofl.

R

Renneb

The caliber of programmer working on UO prolly doesn't even know wtf physics are rofl.
if you think you can do a better job instead of bashing the programmers
why don't you apply for a job at EA

but then again your prolly still in high school

W

Warrior of Time

Vyal
You don't need to work for EA to be a modder. Make some changes there and be useful.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Skeleton physics and Kinetics files are actually more applicable for 3D clients, where the game engine does actual computations based on which parts of the body was hit, which parts will move, by how much and what the threshold is.

To achieve the same kind of end result in 2D, you actually just create a set of animation to give the illusion that the head turns to to right when punched on the left, then flip it on the x-axis to simulate being punched on the right. And different sets of animation for hits on each part of the body.

Since there's no kenetics calculation in 2D, the client would likely just play the respective animation file based on case statements eg: "Case: if LeftFaceHit then player.playanimation01, if LeftChestHit then player.playanimation99".

While awesome to have, it's going to be a lot of work and will likely result in humongous files looking at how many sprites we have in UO. It's much more elegant and feasible for 3D engines. So I am guessing this won't be a feature.

However, SA is not actually just a client update. It's a full expansion - with new races, new dungeon, new landmass, new skills, new imbuing system etc plus the client update.

I really hope that they put it up as a box that can be sold on shelves, we need the advertising. Otherwise, it'll be a shame to put in so much effort and then skimp on the shelf presence and advertising...

Ps: The statement on the calliber of the UO programmers is uncalled for though. Remember, they have released two 3D clients prior to this, plus the artists from the WHO team, so they definitely have the people with the skills.

While we call them Devs for short, there are actually different teams - Design, Coding, Art, animation, 3D Art etc etc etc and all are very different.

PPs: No Daemons on highheels please. Or ugly scaled down dragons. Or mounts like those in KR that are so awkwardly scaled my feet touch the ground.

Tuferon

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am hoping it is a fun alternative to 2D. After 11 years and meeting my hubby in this game, we have 4 accounts waiting to be cancelled if this isn't going to be fun again.

K

Kiwillian

What the hell are you talking about? "Fun Alternative"? what does that mean exactly. You do realise it is both a new version of the KR client and also a content expansion (available in 2D as well)?

Also, what is with people who makes these account canceling threats? If you don't enjoy the game, just quit. No one cares. Your 4 accounts are most certainly not the financial backbone of EA. Get over yourself.

Tuferon

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What the hell are you talking about? "Fun Alternative"? what does that mean exactly. You do realise it is both a new version of the KR client and also a content expansion (available in 2D as well)?

Also, what is with people who makes these account canceling threats? If you don't enjoy the game, just quit. No one cares. Your 4 accounts are most certainly not the financial backbone of EA. Get over yourself.
Fun alternative refers to my not enjoying 2D and KR is unplayable. I am not threatening anything by canceling. Actually, I am afraid to be hopeful that this will revive the game for us as I cannot remember a life without UO though it does not dominate it by any means.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you have a sense of what sorts of things you would find fun? (everyone is different in what they enjoy, so what I find fun might not be fun for you)

W

Warrior of Time

Fun alternative refers to my not enjoying 2D and KR is unplayable. I am not threatening anything by canceling. Actually, I am afraid to be hopeful that this will revive the game for us as I cannot remember a life without UO though it does not dominate it by any means.
May I as how much time have you spent in KR? Also what part of KR is unplayable.

Obsidia

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have targeting issues with kr that i hope are resolveld with SA.
I have the option to set Arch Cure to target myself when i cast it, but it does not work, cast spell cursor pops up.

When I target something and cast fireball, Lightning,flamestrike.. it autocast the spell on the target, but when i cast meteor storm swarm, the cursor pops up and doesnt cast on the target.

I have a mage and archer with the same name, when i load up my archer, all my binds are my mages binds.

I cant remeber what else but if no of these problems are not fixed with SA,
im sticking with 2d.

O

Old Man of UO

I have a mage and archer with the same name, when i load up my archer, all my binds are my mages binds...
Ahh... this is what may be causing your targeting problems. 2D client also has issues with names, just not this one. It has to do with how and where the files are stored. The developers are aware of the naming problem, but I can't remember anyone addressing this in the new client updates. I hope it gets fixed also.