• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] How were these made?

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all,

Ok, so I've finally got a Legendary Tailor and a Legendary Imbuer... So would any of you expert craftsman out there please tell me how you think these leggings were made?

O

Ozzmandias

Hiya,

These were made with normal leather, looks like maybe 3 resists to be imbued on each.

You keep making pieces until the three resists to be imbued are as low as possible (i.e. the resists that you DON'T imbue are as high as possible).

Once that's done, you PoF to max and then imbue with 100 luck, 20 LRC and the resists as they fit.

The clever bit, since you made with normal leather, you can now enhance with spined.

Of course, you'd break am awful of a lot of them normally, but now you can use the forged metal artifact to guarantee they enhance. Hence 140 luck and nice resists.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Oz

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These were made with normal leather, looks like maybe 3 resists to be imbued on each.

You keep making pieces until the three resists to be imbued are as low as possible (i.e. the resists that you DON'T imbue are as high as possible).Oz
Sorry for the dumb question, but the original make (normal leather) is done with a plain sewing kit or a runic?

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You cant imbu to 140 that had to be there first, They must of add three of the porperty
How then do you get to 140 Luck? And I don't understand exactly what you mean by "They must of add three of the porperty" ?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
most likely it was imbued to 100 then enhanced with spine

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all,

Ok, so I've finally got a Legendary Tailor and a Legendary Imbuer... So would any of you expert craftsman out there please tell me how you think these leggings were made?

End Product: 14/17/11/16/16 w/ 20 LRC and 140 luck, spined
-Spined base: 5/0/0/0/0 w/ 40 luck
-Leather base: 2/4/3/3/3
= 7/13/8/13/13 (54 total)

GM Crafted base: 47 total resists w/ arms lore
= +7 extra resist

Most likely:

1) GM Crafted plain leather: 7/10*/8/11*/11*/ (47 total) *guess
2) Powdered to 255
3) Imbued to 20 lrc, 100 luck, 17 fire (+13 from base), 16 poison (+13 from base), 16 energy (+13 from base) ... or in other words, 20 Lower Reagent Cost, 100 Luck, 13 Fire Resist, 13 Poison Resist, 13 Energy Resist [458 INT] -- 10 Residue, 10 Amber, 10 Citrine, 10 Chaga Mushroom, 10 Faery Dust
4) Enhanced with Spined (+5 physical, +40 luck)
5) End product: 14/17/11/16/16 w/ 20 LRC and 140 luck, spined

Ideally you could imbue something even better than that, which makes me wonder if the person used the forged tool or not. Ideally you'd want to imbue the physical and the cold on that item...not the fire, poison and energy, but depends on the *s

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

GM Crafted base: 47 total resists w/ arms lore
= +7 extra resist

Most likely:

1) GM Crafted plain leather: 7/10*/8/11*/11*/ (47 total) *guess
2) Powdered to 255
3) Imbued to 20 lrc, 100 luck, 17 fire (+13 from base), 16 poison (+13 from base), 16 energy (+13 from base) ... or in other words, 20 Lower Reagent Cost, 100 Luck, 13 Fire Resist, 13 Poison Resist, 13 Energy Resist [458 INT] -- 10 Residue, 10 Amber, 10 Citrine, 10 Chaga Mushroom, 10 Faery Dust

Ideally you could imbue something even better than that, which makes me wonder if the person used the forged tool or not. Ideally you'd want to imbue the physical and the cold on that item...not the fire, poison and energy, but depends on the *s
WOW ! I am continually amazed at the time people like you, G.v.P., often take to answer what (for you) must be a very boring and simple question. Thanks so much for explaining this process to me. I have found your answer in other threads, but not all in one "piece" as yours is.

I am very grateful for taking the time to break it down into exact steps, and am certain that people with the same question in the future will find this thread and appreciate the info as much as me.

:thumbup1:

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
here is how there were made:

GVP is onto the right track but..

plain leather with armslore is 35 total resi...

1. crafted in plain leather with resis: 9/x/11/x/x
2. pofed
3. imbued 100 luck
4. enhanced with spinned leather
5. imbued 20% LRC, + Fire to 17 + poison and energy to 16

Result: 498 weight.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Ah, Gil is right. I must have had my mind on barbed :). Intensity doesn't change though, still room for improvement at 458 (because the item didn't use boura pelts).

GM Crafted base: 35 total resists w/ arms lore
= +19 extra resist

Most likely:

1) GM Crafted plain leather: 7/7*/8/6*/7*/ (35 total) *guess
2) Powdered to 255
3) Imbued to 20 lrc, 100 luck, 17 fire (+13 from leather base), 16 poison (+13 from leather base), 16 energy (+13 from leather base) ... or in other words, 20 Lower Reagent Cost, 100 Luck, 13 Fire Resist, 13 Poison Resist, 13 Energy Resist [458 INT] -- 10 Residue, 10 Amber, 10 Citrine, 10 Chaga Mushroom, 10 Faery Dust

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm how do you get this:

to this

? :D

Also 14 - 7 = 7 again.. spinned grants 5 only :)

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm how do you get this:

to this

? :D

Also 14 - 7 = 7 again.. spinned grants 5 only :)
Ah, that's the exceptional mods without bases. With bases, 7+2+5=14 and 8+3=11. I should have made that more clear. Right, what you're looking for is a leather crafted item with 9/*/11/*/* with bases + exceptional mods before spined for this particular item.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
goody, then we agree :p

and crafted plain leather armor is 35 total resi - including base, anyways :)

E

Etoh

here is how there were made:

1. crafted in plain leather with resis: 9/x/11/x/x
2. pofed
3. imbued 100 luck
4. enhanced with spinned leather
5. imbued 20% LRC, + Fire to 17 + poison and energy to 16

Result: 498 weight.
newbie question!

why did you imbue, then enhance, then imbue again?

i thought enhance should be done last, no?

why do the fire, poison, and energy resists values don't matter? (i.e. they are just "x") is it because the final values for those resists are over 15 and 15 is the maximum resist value before imbuing and enhancing?

how do you calculate the weight of an item?

thanks,
Etoh

E

Etoh

Ah, Gil is right. I must have had my mind on barbed :). Intensity doesn't change though, still room for improvement at 458 (because the item didn't use boura pelts).
do you mean 498?
also, can you explain how the item could have been improved overall using boura pelts?

3) Imbued to 20 lrc, 100 luck, 17 fire (+13 from leather base), 16 poison (+13 from leather base), 16 energy (+13 from leather base) ... or in other words, 20 Lower Reagent Cost, 100 Luck, 13 Fire Resist, 13 Poison Resist, 13 Energy Resist [458 INT] -- 10 Residue, 10 Amber, 10 Citrine, 10 Chaga Mushroom, 10 Faery Dust
where does "+13 from leather base" come from? for example, i thought fire resist before this step was 7 (your guess)

sorry, still trying to understand the theory of this craft..

thanks,
Etoh

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
newbie question!

You have a better chance of enhancing with lower resists. If you imbue after enhancing, you just can't imbue physical resist on spined leather (or you lose those resist points)

why do the fire, poison, and energy resists values don't matter? (i.e. they are just "x") is it because the final values for those resists are over 15 and 15 is the maximum resist value before imbuing and enhancing?
When you imbue resists, you lose all material and armslore bonusses associated with that resist. i.e. if you have a leather armor piece with 10 physical resist and 5 points from spined leather (thus 15 total), then you imbue 15 points of physical resist, your end total is only 17 (2 default + 15 imbue).
how do you calculate the weight of an item?
See the link at the bottom of Gilmour's posts (knucklehead tools). It will help you on your way.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
newbie question!

You have a better chance of enhancing with lower resists. If you imbue after enhancing, you just can't imbue physical resist on spined leather (or you lose those resist points)
^ this, but if you wish to use a forge tool charge on it, you could make fire, poison and energy to max (19 for fire and 18 for poison and energy) for full 500 weight pre enhance. then enhance the finished imbued item using forge tool. tho you will most likely destroy the item in enhancing attempt if you dont use a forge tool.

by enhancing after 100 luck imbued only, makes the 40 luck from spinned carry the 40 weight difference from GvP's calculations.

E

Etoh

When you imbue resists, you lose all material and armslore bonusses associated with that resist. i.e. if you have a leather armor piece with 10 physical resist and 5 points from spined leather (thus 15 total), then you imbue 15 points of physical resist, your end total is only 17 (2 default + 15 imbue).

See the link at the bottom of Gilmour's posts (knucklehead tools). It will help you on your way.
thanks a lot! now i understand more! :)

That link to the imbuing calculator is OMG so useful!! Thank You!

Etoh

E

Etoh

newbie question!

^ this, but if you wish to use a forge tool charge on it, you could make fire, poison and energy to max (19 for fire and 18 for poison and energy) for full 500 weight pre enhance. then enhance the finished imbued item using forge tool. tho you will most likely destroy the item in enhancing attempt if you dont use a forge tool.

by enhancing after 100 luck imbued only, makes the 40 luck from spinned carry the 40 weight difference from GvP's calculations.
oh, i see... just to summarize, given the following situation:
-i want to make leather leggings with max luck and max LRC

i would figure out that i would want to use spined leather since it provides the 40 luck property i am after. therefore, using the general strategy of crafting first in the regular material, then enhance later with final target material, i would be working with the following material property values:

then the following would be my actual crafting steps (using a regular smith hammer):

1) craft leather leggings using regular leather
(the 15 pts exceptional quality bonus and the 5 pts GM arms lore bonus does not matter since the enhance step later will negate them, however the exceptional quality matters for attaining the max item weight cap of 500, and also helps to increase the success chance of imbuing)

2) apply powder of fortifying (PoF) to get maximum durability (255) on the leggings

3) attempt to imbue max luck intensity of 100, will need these materials:
5 Magical Residue
10 Citrine
10 Shaga Mushroom
(this counts as 100 item weight points)

4) use one Forged Metal of Artifacts charge (to guarantee 100% success) on the next crafting action

5) enhance the leggings with spined leather
(now the leggings should have 140 luck)

6) use another Forged Metal of Artifacts charge (to guarantee 100% success) on the next crafting action

7) imbue max LRC intensity of 20%, will need these materials:
5 Magical Residue
10 Amber
10 Faery Dust

AND

max fire resist intensity of 15% (that will be added to the regular leather base value), will need these materials:
5 Magical Residue
10 Ruby
10 Boura Pelt

AND

max poison resist intensity of 15% (that will be added to the regular leather base value), will need these materials:
5 Magical Residue
10 Emerald
10 Boura Pelt

AND

max energy resist intensity of 15% (that will be added to the regular leather base value), will need these materials:
5 Magical Residue
10 Amethyst
10 Boura Pelt

FINISHED!

now the end result will be the following:

1 spined leather leggings (imbued) with these properties:
-luck 140
-lower reagent cost 20%
-fire resist 19% (base of 4 + 15 imbued)
-poison resist 18% (base of 3 + 15 imbued)
-energy resist 18% (base of 3 + 15 imbued)
-physical resist minimum of 7 (base of 2 + 5 from spined leather, plus any points allocated randomly from the 15 points of exceptional quality bonus and the 5 points arms lore bonus)
-cold resist minimum of 3 (base of 3 plus any points allocated randomly from the 15 points of exceptional quality bonus and the 5 points arms lore bonus)

Total weight = 500 -->( 100 (luck) + 100 (LRC) + 100 (fire) + 100 (poison) + 100 (energy) )

hope i have been correct with my understanding, can someone please verify?

i guess the other factors that can be added to this would be the use of the special hammers:
- ancient hammers
- runic hammers

using ancient hammers will increase your total blacksmithy skill by up to +10, +15, +30, or +60 points. so the effect of using ancient hammers in this case would be to increase the chances of success in every step. is this correct?

however, since we are using the forged metal of artifacts to guarantee success, it would be a waste to use ancient hammers, right?

as for using runic hammers, if i were to use a valorite runic hammer, it would randomly add 5 properties that are from this list. so i wouldn't want to use a runic hammer since i have no control over which properties will be added, right? also, for example, if the valorite runic hammer gave me LRC of only 17% (which is the minimum 85% intensity valorite runic hammer guarantee), then would i (not that i would) be able to attempt imbuing it with LRC 20%? (would the imbuing treat the runic bonus the same as material/exception bonuses and negate it in the same way?) ... and further, not that i would, but if it was possible to imbue on top of runic hammer effects, it would have a low chance of success since the weight would already be fairly high, right? --however, one could theoretically apply forged metal of artifacts in this case if they wanted to... is this correct?

if my understanding so far is correct, then it would seem to me that the value in using runic hammers and ancient hammers are largely trumped by the forged metal of artifacts. (assuming one had equal access to all 3 of these luxury tools)

sorry, i know i'm digressing, but one more 'what-if' question just came, going back to the crafting of the spined leather leggings.. if i had started crafting the leggings with spined leather in step 1, would the spined bonuses become the base bonuses? i know doing this would mean not being able to enhance later, but if i did would the base become:
- 5/0/0/0/0 w/ 40 luck

clearly, this would result in worse stats in the end since the base resists of fire, cold, poison, and energy are 0, but just want to understand the crafting system.

sorry for the long post! didn't expect it to be this long, but just want to make things absolutely clear for me (and anyone else trying to learn and understand the crafting system)!

Etoh

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, the base levels remain the base levels. So, for purpose of imbuing, you couldn't go over 100 luck, and if you wanted to imbue physical, you'd only be able to add 10 more.

E

Etoh

No, the base levels remain the base levels. So, for purpose of imbuing, you couldn't go over 100 luck, and if you wanted to imbue physical, you'd only be able to add 10 more.
thanks Basara.

good to know! so basically we should never start crafting with special materials.. we should always start with regular materials and enhance to the special one, right?

oh i also realized i've mixed up the scenario in my post... can't use hammers when crafting leather!! somehow i got that mixed up... >_<

Etoh

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks Basara.

good to know! so basically we should never start crafting with special materials.. we should always start with regular materials and enhance to the special one, right?

oh i also realized i've mixed up the scenario in my post... can't use hammers when crafting leather!! somehow i got that mixed up... >_<

Etoh
I think if you were going for resists and making leather items it wouldn't matter unless you wanted luck w/ spined as horned and barbed just add more resists in certain areas but for the most part you are correct.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
4) use one Forged Metal of Artifacts charge (to guarantee 100% success) on the next crafting action

5) enhance the leggings with spined leather
(now the leggings should have 140 luck)

6) use another Forged Metal of Artifacts charge (to guarantee 100% success) on the next crafting action

7) imbue max LRC intensity of 20%, will need these materials:
5 Magical Residue
10 Amber
10 Faery Dust
No, that's not what you want to do for two reasons. First, you never lose Faery Dust or Chaga Mushrooms on failed imbues. Residue, Citrine, and Amber are cheap, so I would imbue those last. Second, the enhance with spined in your order would put the intensity of Luck at 140 instead of 100. This would not leave enough space for your three resists at 100 and LRC at 100.

Here's what I'd do:
1. craft
2. pof
3. max fire resist = 100
4. max poison resist = 100
5. max energy resist = 100
6. max luck = 100
7. max LRC = 100
8. Use Forged Tool Charge
9. Enhance with Spined leather

Also, you have to use sewing kits, not hammers.

E

Etoh

No, that's not what you want to do for two reasons. First, you never lose Faery Dust or Chaga Mushrooms on failed imbues. Residue, Citrine, and Amber are cheap, so I would imbue those last. Second, the enhance with spined in your order would put the intensity of Luck at 140 instead of 100. This would not leave enough space for your three resists at 100 and LRC at 100.

Here's what I'd do:
1. craft
2. pof
3. max fire resist = 100
4. max poison resist = 100
5. max energy resist = 100
6. max luck = 100
7. max LRC = 100
8. Use Forged Tool Charge
9. Enhance with Spined leather

Also, you have to use sewing kits, not hammers.
thanks for the correction, Gorbs!

your steps would also use one less forged tool charge!

Etoh

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you going to use a forge tool the very last thing you do is enhance it anyways.

since you have 100% no matter weight, so you want to get to max possible imbueable weight before you enhance it if so.

my orinal method was more intended if you did not use a forge tool, since you have a decent chance enhancing an item with only 100 luck without help.

but forgetool lets you make some fairly sick stuff....

i made these with a forging tool.