• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Spellweaving] How viable is SpellWeaving without others?

G

goodgimp

I'm really interested in Spellweaving, and it's one of the few skills I haven't played around with much. I'd love to make a Spellweaver or work it into an existing template, but my problem is I don't play with anyone that has Spellweaving... so I'd be stuck only using it by myself.

How viable is it if you dont have others? Is it even worth the points?

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By yourself, you can't even get an Arcane focus gem. You need another person standing in the circle to get a level 1 if they aren't within your 20 point range. But even level 1 is not great at all. If you can get another weaver that's within 20 skill points to you, then a level 2 is noticably better. I really wish they would put an arcane circle at Britain Bank, so that others can help out.
My spellweaver has about 114 and climbing, but it's much better if you have a higher focus gem. SW is a tough call. I am really tempted to drop it, but it just makes sense to keep it, being that it's magic and all. I love the self rez, btw, and WoD.
If only they would slightly tweak some of the spells up a bit.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm really interested in Spellweaving, and it's one of the few skills I haven't played around with much. I'd love to make a Spellweaver or work it into an existing template, but my problem is I don't play with anyone that has Spellweaving... so I'd be stuck only using it by myself.

How viable is it if you dont have others? Is it even worth the points?
Hildebrand already really summarized. It is pitiful how much spellweaving has been sidelined in my opinion. Word of Death you can still get some o.k. damage. Wildfire is largely ineffective. The summon spells I don't really use, because if you are a mage well...those are just better.

Nature's fury's are nice with EV's however. Best advice is posting your spellweaving skill and what shard you are on. I believe there is a few threads with that subject already, but I could be wrong. The alternative for some people is to join a larger guild. No telling whether they will have enough spellweavers though, unless you inquire about that upfront.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes nature's fury is sweet. Can cast 2 EV's and 1 fury if you're not on your ethy. This plus WoD and reaper form if you're pounding on a Champ or tuff monster from afar. If you can spare the mana, throw in Arcane Empowerment so you do +14 Spell damage increase and make the summons harder to dispel.... although I barely notice the benefits.
It's a pretty nice Skill, but not as nice as it could be. It's as if it was meant to be used with a focus gem 6, but I have never seen anyone with that. The most I've been is level 5 (once) and I was lucky at that. At level 5 it was nicer, but what did I gain... a few seconds? I barely notice.

I really wish they'd put an arcane circle at brit bank so us weavers can get a level 5 focus gem easier. Then it would be a decent skill. That's IF some kind souls are willing to step inside. What would stink is if I have a level 5, then others want to focus, and I want to help out, so 5 of us get in the circle and they claim that they are all GM's or higher, but one is not. I would get knocked down to level 4 cause one person forgot that they are 80.

R

RichDC

I will answer simply with, i have sw on EVERY char i play!!!

Tamer has 110 (main spells are Gift of Life &reneweal, WOD Etheral voyage...pretty much all cept summons, cant beat a beetle/bake!!) sometimes gets a circle frequently doesnt and is very effective.

Necro has 40 (main spells are natures fury, watch 5 of these take down a drag quicker than 2 ev's!!!gift of renewal and attunement)
All other temps utilise JOAT Weaving

Rarely get a circle on any of the chars and it works great...with a circle...works AWESOME!!!

IMO BEST SKILL IN GAME ATM!

R

rwek

I've had SW on a couple chars, ad it always gets removed. I'm here trolling because i'm training it up for another char.

I've already found, i can't find other weavers to get arcane stones with. Even spamming in luna has not got 1 person, more less 5 to offer to get arcane stones with.

Yeah, a fix is needed. As is, its questionable. But if you have a regular group of 4 or 5 weavers to stone up with....give it a try.

I think they should drop the -+20 skill requirement

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too like to put it on my alts since anyone can cast the nature's fury and attunement and gift of renewal even at zero skill. Better than nothing.
I've managed to find people at the champ spawns if you stand in the pentagram thing on the altar. The only problem is, that it's not a house arcane circle and it yields a focus gem that is -1 compared to what it should be. This is intended.
So if you find another weaver at the champ altar, then you can get a level 1 stone, rather than a level 2.
*shrugs*

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I doubt I'd keep weaving if I couldn't get an arcane focus on a regular basis. But lucky for me, I have two accounts (ok, my wife has one), both with weavers and the two people I play with most have weavers and I'm part of a guild which has weavers always around. And to top it off, there's often someone hidden on the arcane circle in the prism of light with over 100 weaving. Getting a level 5 or 6 focus is rarely an issue for me.

But a while ago, I did have trouble finding a circle, and decided that another skill would better serve me than weaving. I tried parry and inscription before I decided to keep weaving after all and play a different character until I could find a good circle.