• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How to start with a fire beetle

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Take it to the invasions. Find general with a pet on it. Put Beetle on. Generals give Greatly gains and don't switch targets.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I typically slow-train my beetles on the orcs in the small forts in various places in Malas, to get to 125 dex/stam and skills into the 80s.

After that, I get a 3 slot pet out, take both it and the beetle to Shame, and let the higher-end pet tank while the beetle assists. This works for both 1 and 2 slot beetles. At 3rd slot, typically you have the resists and HP for the beetle to survive without another thing tanking.

Mercbeste

Visitor
take to shame, cast poison fields on the crazed mage repeatedly/heal pet for the small punch dmg

I took my lv1 brand new tame blue beetle to lv2 in about 20mins

a separate note - how much taming to take my blue beetle to 5slot/max training?

Turkish

Journeyman
These are all great ideas. I used to do what Basara recommended minus the orc fort part. I would just bring a 3-slot cu to tank on the mage and and let the beetle train without harm. Though, this is an incredibly slow process.

Now, I have a 4x120 bard running the peace masteries while I directly train on the crazed mage. I rune consume and heal with bandies and mostly isn't an issue. This is much faster than my former process, but now that means I have to train my stam/dex up to 125 elsewhere but I've been doing that while training up resist spells instead.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I leveled one up recently. Spammed poison field on the crazed mage. Can be dangerous setting it up but once you get it going it's probably the fastest way to level up a 1 or 2 slot animal. Dread pirates work well too if you have high seas.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Turkish, the orc part is really only to get the skills and Dex/stam up. The mage is too high, even discorded, for a fresh beetle to gain skills on.

Plus, I tend to sit around and loot the orc shaman's low-level necro scrolls to supply the LA player center. Nobody likes scribing to fill books - especially ones you're filling to give away.

Shannow

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
I use cave trolls in wrong - too hard to up any skills, but gets me to lvl 2 quickly
use the first round of points to up HP and STR to 300. PHY, Fire resists to 80 and energy to 75.
with that done, I can then train more easily without fear of death etc.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First thing i do after bonding them, is i take them to the Spectral Spellbinders in Old Haven and GM it's Resist. Once Resist is GMed, i'll let the Spellbinders continue casting on the Beetle so DEX will fly up to 125. This makes training skills/levels a lot faster.

For slot leveling the Beetle, i scuttle a Dread Pirate ship, and sick him on the Dread Pirate. I run Consume Damage on the Beetle while vetting him. A single Dread Pirate can take a 1 Slot Beetle to 2 Slots. Another Dread Pirate takes that Beetle from 2 Slots to 3 Slots. At 3 Slots, i usually take it to the Sakkhra Village in Eodon, and have him fight an Allosaurus while vetting him. I have a Sampire with 100% Cold Reptile Slayer Double Axe on standby to kill the Allosaurus once the Beetle stops gaining on that particular Allo. 2 Allosaurus will take him to 4 Slots. Then it takes 4 Allosaurus to take the Beetle to 5 slots.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Now, I have a 4x120 bard running the peace masteries while I directly train on the crazed mage. I rune consume and heal with bandies and mostly isn't an issue. This is much faster than my former process, but now that means I have to train my stam/dex up to 125 elsewhere but I've been doing that while training up resist spells instead.
That's what I do with the low fire resist pets. 1 toon runs peace, One runs consume, one heals with bandages or spells as needed and tosses a GoR. Works great. My 2 archers can kill the mage faster than a pet can get 25% so if the mage is open I can train a pet in a night. Takes 40 min to get first round, the rest go faster.

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
For level 1 and level 2 pets, the Wind elementals in Shame are ideal. They're on the same level as the crazed mage, but instead of going west from the teleporter entrance you go south across the bridge. The elementals there look like air elementals, give "greatly" gains to level 1 and level 2 pets just like the crazed mage, and don't hit nearly as hard as the crazed mage - which can one-shot a level 1 beetle.

I train all my level 1 and level 2 pets there, and then move to crazed mage or elsewhere. Just like the crazed mage, these elementals drop the Shame crystals, which are used to get the Whetstone of Enervation. Some melee characters/crafters greatly value that item as it saves an imbuing slot on high-end suits.

As it seems that it dies to everyone else, so how to start training such a weak animal.
I am known also as Kragg. The haven spellbinders are good for safely doing resists and it also helps build stam and dex to 125.
I use the same training for all pets and a little amazed no one has mentioned this.
Usually when starting to train skills on pets, the slimes in the underworld are a good starting place. What the others have failed to mention is that the very first two slimes are great for training weak pets.
Control is important because they can wander over to the stronger slimes and have issues.
Try positioning pet before corner and give it the stay command. Be sure to have a cure and heal stored on pet.
Lastly, rarely you can have a goblin? mob wander in. Rare, but it happens. If you are positioned properly you should not attract aggro.
Lastly, if you are on Lake Superior and you need repairs, visit Rockbiter's Repairs, just outside the gates of Cove in fel. <Chuckles>

gwen

Slightly Crazed
First thing i do after bonding them, is i take them to the Spectral Spellbinders in Old Haven and GM it's Resist. Once Resist is GMed, i'll let the Spellbinders continue casting on the Beetle so DEX will fly up to 125. This makes training skills/levels a lot faster.
For slot leveling the Beetle, i scuttle a Dread Pirate ship, and sick him on the Dread Pirate. I run Consume Damage on the Beetle while vetting him.

I use Ruddy Boura to tank dread pirate +Provo buff . Boura is a huge bag of HP with resists better than beetle., easy to keep alive with anything, including Chivalry. It stays alive while 1-3 beetles (Boura is 2 slot) are training. Don't use Lowland or High Plains Boura . With 3 beetles they will kill pirate faster than get leveled up.
When pirate is below 16%HP he starts running around and shooting at all attackers . Don't take him this low, especially if you have no veterinary .

Also worth mentioning : if your tamer is also a bard, freshly tamed unicorn with Provo buff healing can tank Crazed mage.

For those who have no High Seas and good healing skill for Shame , Ortanords are good way to train beetles. They give "fair" gains but only 20% per. Lately I use them only to train veterinary.