• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] How to install a mod?

F

Fink

Please excuse me if this is blatantly obvious to everyone else.

How do I add a partial mod?

I can't seem to find that information on Modder's Exchange. All the wiki/help links seem to take me to site administration tools. I'm not logged in or registered. It is an immensely useful site and my failure to locate what I want is in no way a criticism.

I've downloaded the mod I want but I don't know how to incorporate it into the skins I'm using. I'm trying both Copper_Enhanced and Lucis_Interface. Lucis because I like the pet naming function and Copper because the default skin fills me with Eternal Sadness. I want to run the Item Properties mod on top of these.

I was using a skin I developed which is my own graphical treatment and a few scraps of code, namely profile save and item properties. I don't remember how I managed to get these working and it is an inelegant approach. I'm sure there is a better, cleaner way.

O

Old Man of UO

This has been talked about in the past. I've done exactly what you are asking about, and depending on how the mod was built, it can be easy to pick and choose pars of a mod to add to another, or pretty darn difficult unless you want to go in to cut and paste code. You also have to be aware that mod pieces could cause conflicts with each other. All that depends of the person modding.

One ideal way to do that would be to have a download manager that would let you pick and chose the mod components, then it would download into a single package. I wold love to see the modders exchange do that, but think it would be a lot of work, and quite possible that you would get conflicts between mods.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One ideal way to do that would be to have a download manager that would let you pick and chose the mod components, then it would download into a single package. I wold love to see the modders exchange do that, but think it would be a lot of work, and quite possible that you would get conflicts between mods.
That is too difficult to do, considering how many mods conflict with each other or require too many other things.

If there are certain combinations people like though, I can and will bundle them up and put them on http://downloads.uo.modders-exchange.net and try to keep it up-to-date if any of those mods are updated (sadly, I'm just one person with very little free time).

As for installing a mod... everything on UO Modders Exchange under the Mods section can be installed into "UODirectory\UserInterface\YourSkinHere\Mods\NameOfMod"

So... if you want to add the Hide Own Object Handle mod to Copper Enhanced, and you have UO installed to "c:\uo\", you would end up with a folder structure that looked like...

c:\uo\UserInterface\Copper Enhanced\Mods\Hide Own Object Handle\
c:\uo\UserInterface\Copper Enhanced\Mods\Hide Own Object Handle\HideOwnObjectHandle.lua
c:\uo\UserInterface\Copper Enhanced\Mods\Hide Own Object Handle\HideOwnObjectHandle.mod
c:\uo\UserInterface\Copper Enhanced\Mods\Hide Own Object Handle\Localizations.lua

O

Old Man of UO

That is too difficult to do, considering how many mods conflict with each other or require too many other things.

... (sadly, I'm just one person with very little free time)...
I know how difficult it is, and I think ALL of us who use mods really do appreciate your work!! I certainly thank you! :thumbup1: