• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How to craft spellbook with multiple attributes

Frankly

Visitor
So, I have a GM scribe, and I've crafted more than a few magery spellbooks (probably a couple hundred), and I've only ever really encountered a single attribute (+eval int, slayer, etc.), but I've seen people carrying, and some up on vendor search that have 3-5 attributes, all on the same book. Is this just a matter of crafting numbers? Do I just need to make a TON of spellbooks and wait for RNG gods to smile upon me, or do these books come from some drop or quest or something? I was going to try to get maybe a Scrapper's recipe at some point, but that's still off in the distance, and I wanted to try to get my mage/tamer a better book in the meantime.

As always, thanks for any info anyone might be able to provide.

Deschet

Journeyman
From the Stratics website:

When crafting a spellbook there is a chance it will get up to 3 magical properties. These properties can be Faster Casting, Faster Cast Recovery, Lower Mana Cost, Lower Reagent Cost, Mana Increase, Mana Regeneration, Spell Damage Increase, Intelligence Bonus and a few mage related Skills (Eval. Int., Meditation and Resist). All the properties can be up to 80% of the intensity range they normally spawn in. The amount and intensity of the properties on a spellbook depends on your Magery skill. At 80 Magery you can get 1 property, at 90 Magery you can get 2 properties and at 100 Magery you can get 3 properties. At 110 and 120 Magery you can still only get 3 properties, but you will have a higher chance of getting them.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As Deschet noted, the extra properties come from high Magery, not just GM Scribe.

Most of the ones with 3-5 property books are one of the following:

1. Event books
2. Scrapper's Compendiums with 1-3 properties on top.

The Scrapper's Compendium recipe comes from doing the trinket weaver quests in Heartwood (and their equivalent quests in Sanctuary), and are a relatively rare drop in the reward satchel. It's well worth the effort to go ahead and get the recipe now, not later.

There's also the guaranteed extra property talisman that you can get as a inscription BOD reward. Granted, the extra properties are still likely to be 1 property, but it's better as 1 property added to a Scrapper's than most cases of 2 properties on a plain book.

Frankly

Visitor
I'm not sure how I didn't turn up that paragraph on the UO page during my searching, but it is there on the inscription page. Regardless, thanks Deschet!

Basara, are the "event books" like one-off EM event rewards? When you say a compendium with 1-3 properties on top, is that just random chance when crafting a compendium, or do you use the top-level BOD reward for that as well?

Thank you both, though, my scribe is at 90.5 magery, so I'll probably fill that out with points leftover on his build.

Thanks again!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Most of the event books are from the various invasions (where the Slayers with up to 25% SDI and non-slayers up to 50% SDI originally came from), and the "Treasures of" type events (such as the one in Hythloth last fall) where a book similar to the invasion 50% SDI books was available for a very high turn-in point value. There's also the (comparatively low end) Tome from the Treasures of Tokuno majors (turn in 10 minors), and the undead slayer book based on it from a Halloween event over a decade ago (same event that produced the 140 luck robes).

When crafting a Scrappers Compendium, you have your character's standard chances for additional properties on top of the base properties, but if the rolled property is the same as a base property, typically it was lost. They may or may not have fixed it - but they did at least fix the talisman to actually guarantee at least one extra property.
If you use the guaranteed properties talisman reward, if you only roll one property, and it duplicates an existing one, the talisman forces a reroll until you get one not already present, so that you get at least one additional property.

Jennifer-Marie

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
100 Inscription plus Legendary Magery/Necromancy/Mysticism will give you the best mods on a spellbook. Scrapper's mods and spellbook mods are all RNG, including slayer properties. The BOD reward talismans are helpful, as is a talisman with 30/30 Inscription/Exceptional Chance (you get those from peerless like Lady M or check vendor search).

Deschet

Journeyman
Thank you both, though, my scribe is at 90.5 magery, so I'll probably fill that out with points leftover on his build.
Just FYI, the chance for extra mods doesn't rely on real skill, I've tested it. So you could use some + magery items to get you into the 3 properties range.

Frankly

Visitor
Just FYI, the chance for extra mods doesn't rely on real skill, I've tested it. So you could use some + magery items to get you into the 3 properties range.
Oh, nice, I'm sure I've got some +15's hanging out in my hoarder's warehouse - I mean spare equipment.

Most of the event books are from the various invasions (where the Slayers with up to 25% SDI and non-slayers up to 50% SDI originally came from), and the "Treasures of" type events (such as the one in Hythloth last fall) where a book similar to the invasion 50% SDI books was available for a very high turn-in point value. There's also the (comparatively low end) Tome from the Treasures of Tokuno majors (turn in 10 minors), and the undead slayer book based on it from a Halloween event over a decade ago (same event that produced the 140 luck robes).
I'm pretty sure, but are all of these events now done and gone/unavailable to do anymore? I was around for the Hythloth one, but was working on gear for my Sampire, so I didn't go for the book.

I've been working on the Heartwood quest turn-ins for a bit now, mostly doing the "Beer Goggles" quest, as I think the Tinker Tools quest is broken (it wants the NPC-sold tinker tools, won't accept my crafted ones). Haven't seen the Scrapper's recipe yet, but I have seen a TON of the alchemy recipes and a bunch of Talismans. Is there anything interesting to do with those extras, once I've kept back one or two of each for my characters? Seems like I can get some clean up points for them, but it's like 10 per.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I confirm your can get sceappers recipe now. Just need lots of time and ingots.
Some talismans are still good. Ice, flame, bovine and ratman slayers still useful. I also got one for tormented Minotaur protection, but haven't done that champion yet.
To get quest more often accept another quest from another weaver.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One thing to consider is that they have been having a couple of the "Treasure of" events a year the last couple years, after they started out being one a year for halloween in the years before.

The 200 point spellbooks seem to be a constant in terms of the reward, but I wouldn't count on it. One of the items from an earlier iteration was katlkoatl's ring, that is a really useful item for multiple skill spellcasters.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
One thing to consider is that they have been having a couple of the "Treasure of" events a year the last couple years, after they started out being one a year for halloween in the years before.

The 200 point spellbooks seem to be a constant in terms of the reward, but I wouldn't count on it. One of the items from an earlier iteration was katlkoatl's ring, that is a really useful item for multiple skill spellcasters.
We need a bracelet to match it with same basic stats...

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just FYI: I received a Guaranteed Spellbook Improvement 30/30 talisman as a BOD reward. Probably the only time the RNG was good to me. I figured it had me temporarily confused with someone else....

Frankly

Visitor
Well, I managed to get the Scrapper's recipe today. I wasn't keeping real close track of ingots or turn-ins, but I think it took about 100 turn-ins of the "Beer Goggles" quest. I also received about 80 other recipes, mostly alchemy and stone anvils, and about 20 talismans, but none of them are particularly noteworthy.

Thanks for the info everyone, now I just need to get a BOD with a high enough reward value to get the spellbook improvement talisman.

This will all probably amount to a not-exactly-super-exciting conclusion, but it's been fun so far!

Reactions: dvv