• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How to build as melee character against Scalis?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Scalis does too much damage for a melee character to be viable. You would need a bard and a dedicated healer, and even that may not be enough.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Bear Corpse says otherwise...

Didn't they buff Scalis at some point?
Video from 2015? Totally different now. Imo Merlin is correct here:

Scalis does too much damage for a melee character to be viable. You would need a bard and a dedicated healer, and even that may not be enough.
Highly doubtful any Melee character is taking Scalis alone... legally at any rate. Heck, have seen plenty of melee chars die off even when a mob of pets are attacking it and the melee char has two dedicated healers...

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Video from 2015? Totally different now. Imo Merlin is correct here:

Highly doubtful any Melee character is taking Scalis alone... legally at any rate. Heck, have seen plenty of melee chars die off even when a mob of pets are attacking it and the melee char has two dedicated healers...
Exactly. By all means, Bear Corpse was an amazing player. Using builds and set ups successfully in ways I have not seen anyone else do. Definitely a one of a kind dedication it must've taken to accomplish what he did. But it is a bit of an outlier to compare his videos to what an average or even very good UO player is capable of. Another really dedicated player will have a very hard time replicating what he did... especially on a topic like taking on Scalis 1 on 1 as a Melee fighter.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Macer Dragoon could possibly do it with Stagger+Hit Fatigue Hammer Pick. That would cripple Osiredon's melee damage output (Bear Corpse used a Hit Fatigue wep for this purpose). You could also whittle down Osiredon's ability to cast spells through the combo of 2H Conc Blow+Hit Mana Drain (Bear Corpse did this during that video). The biggest threat would be his water balls (which he didn't have when Bear Corpse fought him), you'd have to chug a Greater Heal pot and cast Confidence immediately after being hit by them. If he rapidly double balls you ( :lol:), you're dead unless you're under Feint.
A Fencer Dragoon utilizing a Leaf Blade for Feint+AI could possibly due it too utilizing the same tactics.

Last edited:

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have done scalis on Siege (!) with the set up Bear Corpse uses not too long ago. All I had there to support me was a disco mage. Went pretty smoothly.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
actually I didn't use the exact build Corpse Bear used. Here's what I used:

120 swords, 120 tactics, 120 bushido, 100 anatomy (120 with jewellery), 100 healing, 100 chivalry, 60 parry
bladed staff with: 50 stamina leech, 50 hit fire area, 75 mana leech, 50 hit fatigue, 40 hit mana drain, 90 % energy dmg, 10 % poison dmg (I was too lazy to reforge for a 100 % energy dmg one)