• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] How "Rare" are the various fish?

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
My first cast I got a crystal fish.

I have trained up to 112.3 at this point and have only gotten 1 blue marlin.
Dozens of yellowtail, quite a few great barracuda...

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Friend has multiple stone crabs, yet I've not trapped one yet. We are both at 115 skill. I have caught 5 blue marlins already, and only 2 kingfish.

Correction!!! She is 110 skill and I have 115.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think there's a hefty dose of RNG influence to them. I've not actually fished for barracuda but I can go for hours without seeing one and then get 2 in consecutive casts.
Great Barracuda that is. I've over 400 charges of yellowtail bait that will never catch me a thing. The darn fish doesn't spawn on Siege. :D

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Still haven't gotten a King fish yet.
I'm curious about the level of rarity of the fish and who's caught what and how many.
;)

B

Beastmaster

I've caught the following without too much difficulty:
Fire Fish
Yellowtail Barracuda
Lava Fish
Holy Mackerel
Autumn Dragonfish
Giant Koi
Reaper Fish

My rarer catches have been:
King Fish(2)
Fairy Salmon(2)
Summer Dragonfish(1)
Zombie Fish(1)

The ones that have eluded me despite a LOT of trying:
Winter Dragonfish
Blue Lobster
Stone Crab
Abyssal Dragonfish
Void Crab
Void Lobster

I've also done a lot of fishing in Despise, in hopes one of the yet to be found fish might be a rare found there, but no luck.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used up a pot of bait and caught one blue lobster, which I cooked so that I could fill in the missing pictures on the cooking page for fish pies. The pot of spider crab bait disappeared with no catch, so that picture is still missing till I get more bait. Or maybe a 115 scroll so that I can progress past 110 skill

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 4 pots of spider crap bait with 241 charges you can have if you want em for a spider crab pie picture. ;)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
on Siege? Yes please! How much, or what would you like in exchange?

J

JimmyB

Finally made 120 fishing on 1/29/11. I have caught the following rare fish:
Blue marlin (2, largest 109 stones))
Black Marlin (3, largest 55 stones)
Great Barracuda (several, largest 148 stones)
Fairy salmon (several, largest 123 stones)
Firefish (several, largest 169 stones)
Kingfish (3, largest 84 stones)
Holy mackeral (Several, largest is 147 stones)
Zombie fish (1, 120 skill, 110 stones, using bait)
Giant Koi (several, largest is 112 stones)
Lava fish (several, largest 131 stones)
Reaper fish (several, largest 168 stones)
Autumn Dragonfish (several, largest 179 stones)
Spring Dragonfish (1, 25 stones, 120 skill using bait)
Summer Dragonfish (several, largest 86 stones)
Winter Dragonfish (2, largest 38 stones, 120 skill, no bait)
Blue lobster (several, largest 83 stones, all by using bait)
Stone crab (several, largest 126 stones, all but 2 using bait)
Yellowtail Barracuda (too many, largest 188 stones)
Big fish (too many, largest 199 stones)

J

JimmyB

Oh, I forgot Stone fish. Caught 3, largest is 31 stones, all using bait.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still haven't gotten a King fish yet.
I'm curious about the level of rarity of the fish and who's caught what and how many.
;)
I caught a Kingfish today, in Trammel deep water. I am at 110.3 skill (just ate the 115 PS today). I did not use bait. The Stratics information says GM Fishing for this fish, I wonder if this is correct. Until today I have only ever caught yellowtail barracuda (2050 steaks worth, between me and a guildmate both of us were between 100-110).

Stayin Alive,

BG

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm stuck at 110 too. I did so many quests yesterday that it feels like the fish steak value of the fish handed in yesterday might have gotten me a britain boat. ;)

Last quest gave me 100 blue marlin bait .. yay me .. can't even use that. ;(

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been told the blue marlin does spawn on Siege, though the yellow barracuda obviously doesn't. I can confirm that the King Fish, which is also listed as a trammel fish, does spawn on Siege. I have one in my fishing shack.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to check that with my own eyes, Petra. After your last story with the stone fish / great barracuda baits i believe you might have had a beer too much. ;)

When i did a couple fishing trips on europa shortly after HS got released i got a couple King Fish / blue marlin in Trammel but havnt gotten a single blue marlin or King Fish on Siege yet. And i have fished on siege a multitude of what i fished on Europa.

On a side not tho .. i used 400 charges stone crab bait yesterday and didn't get a single stone crab. ;(

J

JimmyB

For those trying to catch stone crabs I will share my method, it may help you. I keep a tall ship parked in T2A on the Papua side. I stack 75 traps in my hold and bait them. I have simple macros for forward, stop, turn around, etc. Standing in the far back corner of a Tokuno ship I drop 4 traps, then move forward, drop 4 more, etc. By the time I have laid out all 75, I turn around and sail back to the 1st and begin picking them up. By now they have been hit 2-3 times. I lose 12 traps on average, but I get a TON of Stone crabs. Hope this helps. BTW, I play Origin shard... not too much competition here.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
According to a PM reply from MArk (see the thread about finally getting an answer, elsewhere in this forum, I don't want to paste the PM a THIRD time in 10 minutes), the longer a trap stays out, the more likely it is to get a good lobster or crab. In other words, you need to leave it out for the 4th or 5th bob to have a better than abysmal chance of getting one of the rare ones.