• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How Many Subscriptions Does UO Have?

T

Tazar

UO has never really released subscription numbers. I doubt they'll change that policy now.

F

five oclock

Heres the offical numbers.... :D

Its gone up...then gone down...gone up again..then gone down..after each Publish it goes up then goes down....as it stands now..its on a downward spiral..BUT its slowly back to up with new old players coming back..who will play for awhile and make it go up..then it will go down again :D

C

canary

UO has never really released subscription numbers. I doubt they'll change that policy now.
The only time they gave a tight approximate that I recall would be right when AoS came out.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They will not tell us.

If they did, we wouldn't believe them.

The last numbers we had were from some years back, around the time Warhammer Online: The Age of Reckoning came out. That was 100,000. It was said by some dude from Mythic, it was a spontaneous utterance in an interview that was primarily about Warhammer Online: The Age of Reckoning, and there was no good reason to disbelieve it.

I used to post the link here a lot, but then I deleted it because even when it was a current figure no one here believed it.

People used to make up far-lower figures and post them instead.

And now it may not be a current figure anyway.

-Galen's player

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I know its over 42.

Last I heard numbers was way over 5 years ago and it peged at 250k.

If you have the time go count the houses in Malas & Ter Mur on Atlantic and all the houses in Tram that are tool placed (ie not classic types) deduct 25% for original placements add in 50 % of FEL homes that are Tool placed. and you should have a pretty good idea of the #'s still in UO, or better yet go to Hokuto and do same its stuffed as well.

EA will not release the game #'s as is their policy. Id hazzard to guess its somewhere around 125k give or take +-5%. I have run into new players and many old ones coming back.
So stop the doom and gloom, has it ever crossed your minds the more you down play the game the more people might think your right and leave over nothing?? Then UO will close due not to bad Dev or CS service it will be on the bad blood you shove down people who read these boards. UO is not that bad a game, so lighten up.

C

Coppelia

There's still a couple of players I think. Let's count.
Me: 1.

B

Babble

Uhm, I know one who has 4 accounts so 5.

Guestimates would suggest UO has under 100.000 accounts, making UO the most successful MMO EA has at the moment.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wander your Shard and look at all the houses.

You may not see that many active players, but over 29 shards, it's got to add up to a lot of paid accounts.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Heres the offical numbers.... :D

Its gone up...then gone down...gone up again..then gone down..after each Publish it goes up then goes down....as it stands now..its on a downward spiral..BUT its slowly back to up with new old players coming back..who will play for awhile and make it go up..then it will go down again :D
/this

Wander your Shard and look at all the houses.

You may not see that many active players, but over 29 shards, it's got to add up to a lot of paid accounts.
/and this

:)

But I'll say this. They need to advertise. UO is a very marketable product, and worth investing advertising on. The computer gaming industry isn't what it used to be, people play games for a lot longer than they used to, if they are worth playing, and UO is certainly that. This isn't MLB 2K10 that no one is going to want to play after the season is over. MMO's have a much longer "shelf life" than other computer games, and even FPS games, that you would think would have a pretty short shelf life, games like Half-Life and Counter-Strike, are still being sold and played and Half-Life was only released a year after UO.

Sometimes I think EA doesn't understand it's own industry...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
many peeps have 2 or more acc so counting homes would not be the best guesstimate
The actual number of individual players isn't really all that important. What matters is how many subscriptions there are. That is what is going to keep our little world alive. So counting houses isn't a bad idea... :)

C

Cal_Mythic

Cal has the numbers. Cal reads the forum.
Cal reads the forums ... Cal does not normally answer these questions.
Cal rarely refers to himself in the first person.
Cal will now stop writing in the third person.

As a rule we don't give out subscriber numbers.

C

Cal_Mythic

/this

/and this

:)

But I'll say this. They need to advertise. UO is a very marketable product, and worth investing advertising on.
*covers a beaming smile with his hands as he slips away* ... That is a great idea!

hehehehe ...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
*covers a beaming smile with his hands as he slips away* ... That is a great idea!

hehehehe ...
I'm a big fan of repeating myself...

Did I mention I think repetition is a great teaching tool?

So I'm going to keep bringing this up until I see something done about it... Well maybe this is good enough... For now... :)

B

BuzZzZ

Can't comment in our classic shard thread though can you.

S

StifledArgument

I am starting to hope this game dies so I stop coming back. We are losing some amazing people due to stupidity and lack of caring. At least if the game dies I can stop using it as a crutch to fuel my online gaming needs.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

It would not surprise me in the least for EA to have subscriptions in the 200K mark with maybe 15-20k of those being the NA/EU market and the rest in Korea/Japan.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

Can't comment in our classic shard thread though can you.
Ummm, be fair, he did quite some time ago. More than once I think, in the first thread.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does the crowd that does the IDOC scene have any idea of the number of houses on the shard they are on?

jbfortune

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It can't be a high number can it or they'd let us know. Why would they tell us only 15k people play the game?

The counting houses thing wont work. My Welcome back house is still standing and that account hasn't been activated for ages.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would be somewhere between 50-150k. The chart above was last updated 2 years ago and so wouldnt give us an idea of the impact SA would of had.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Told you SO!!! Its a RULE.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
He commented once with his carrot and stick in hand, not said a word since.
Well if you read your post you would think he had never said anything on the subject. Not only did he comment in the thread, but there have been at least two other specific comments on the subject from developers, including one which indicated there would be no further comment for some time. I'd expect something before the end of the year, but who knows.

B

BuzZzZ

Well if you read your post you would think he had never said anything on the subject. Not only did he comment in the thread, but there have been at least two other specific comments on the subject from developers, including one which indicated there would be no further comment for some time. I'd expect something before the end of the year, but who knows.
I'd expect that if he has time to comment in a thread about UO subscriptions where he provided no information except to gloat a little then he can atleast have the respect to comment on the classic shard thread. People on that thread have game up stacks of time and debated more on that thread than any other I see on stratics but good old Cal does not have the courtesy to even make a purposeful comment.
Many of the people posting in that thread don't even play UO but give up time in the hope of being able to return. Are they still considering the shard? Have they decided against it? Are they not even thinking about it? There has been an unbelievable amount of posts in that thread since his last comment which didn't give much away anyhows.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There has been an unbelievable amount of posts in that thread since his last comment which didn't give much away anyhows.
And I'm afraid an awful lot of the posts are tail chasing sprinkled liberally with trolls and flame wars, with the same things being said over and over again. There have been some good things in those threads, but I'm thinking that just about everything that can be said on the subject has been said, and it's probably time now to have a little patience and do some waiting... :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
WoW gives out numbers. I guess you can do that when you are the big dog.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Might have to scale back on my calculations on populations ..
Was on Napa, running to get a rune marked in malas, oi vey that place is soo empty. If it had more then 20 houses we were lucky! I did see alot of water troughs in the air showing houses had fallen. Now I have seen alot of smalls gone in tram leaving big stretches where once people argued to place. ok, I admit we are under 125k. There is no way if napa is this open, cats is looking a tad better but not by much, chessy is getting bald patches... Medic!!!! we need new blood!!!!!

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

hehehehe ...
If you dare say "Its by word of mouth and you're our best advertisement!" like the Samurai Empire Producer, I will have to slap you.... seriously

:twak:

Berry the mouse will not be happy. *Grins*

C

canary

I'd actually be curious how many active, individual players UO has over how many accounts it has, though obviously that would be nearly impossible to know.

I myself have some friends who haven't logged into UO in 3 years or more with houses still standing. I also know SEVERAL players who have 10 accounts (or more). In fact, the majority of players I know have more than 1 account (I have two myself that are active), so that clearly makes the game itself far less populated than if there were 70k individual subscribers who were all active and logging in.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too know players who own 2 to 5 accounts an are active. Also I have friends who pay to keep their accounts open so if they want to come back they can. So on the real track when I said its about time UO open up the house per shard per account no one yelled cause the amount of open ground is so vast even if we all went hog wild there still would be acres of emptyness. We really do need to open it back up for the 1 house per shard, just to give the place the look as if we are not hemoraging players leaving game. Cal I am being deadly serious we need to put out the word UO is here. Put a free cd in the other games with a 30 day trial free(you can make it so these accounts cant place a house, as wow does with its trial accounts excepting stuff in game) And if they do pay for 3month s up front you give keycode to unlock their trial account to let them place a house. Its worth a try....

C

canary

I too know players who own 2 to 5 accounts an are active. Also I have friends who pay to keep their accounts open so if they want to come back they can. So on the real track when I said its about time UO open up the house per shard per account no one yelled cause the amount of open ground is so vast even if we all went hog wild there still would be acres of emptyness. We really do need to open it back up for the 1 house per shard, just to give the place the look as if we are not hemoraging players leaving game. Cal I am being deadly serious we need to put out the word UO is here. Put a free cd in the other games with a 30 day trial free(you can make it so these accounts cant place a house, as wow does with its trial accounts excepting stuff in game) And if they do pay for 3month s up front you give keycode to unlock their trial account to let them place a house. Its worth a try....
Ehn, with all the F2P games anymore I'd put in the following:

* Unlimited 'trial time'
* Cannot place houses
* relegated to Trammel
* bank set at, say, 20-30 items
* skills and stats cannot be modified by scrolls
* no use of things like artifacts, soulstones, etc.

I'm sure there are many other limitations we could impose; I do know it would likely bring back some old players, and may perhaps get them intrigued to start paying again for the perks.

Y

Yen Sid

Ehn, with all the F2P games anymore I'd put in the following:

* Unlimited 'trial time'
* Cannot place houses
* relegated to Trammel
* bank set at, say, 20-30 items
* skills and stats cannot be modified by scrolls
* no use of things like artifacts, soulstones, etc.

I'm sure there are many other limitations we could impose; I do know it would likely bring back some old players, and may perhaps get them intrigued to start paying again for the perks.
Trapped on Haven Island until you pay to upgrade :lol:.

C

canary

Trapped on Haven Island until you pay to upgrade :lol:.
You know, with thinking of this list I realized that UO lost a prime opportunity to sell more copies of SA by not making 'imbued' items only wearable/ equipable by SA active accounts.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It just so happens I wrote a column about the whole new player issue. Or rather the "lack of new player issue". Feel free to read about what I consider to be the root of the problems and what I think should be done to solve them:

Column: Fighting the Lack of New Players
One of the biggest problems we have attracting new players is hinted at by the fact that a popular, well-liked, and prominent member of the community (yourself) uses a column about new players to push the Trammel-Felucca argument.

I doubt as many new players will arrive in UO and wonder "why can't I attack NPCs in town" or "why can't I cast area effects in town" or "why can't I poison other players." No, that's something Fellies who are also vet players want to do, for the same reason they on occasion brag about being guild killers of guild thieves.

When a new player logs in and discovers that UO has a global chat system, and asks a question?

One of the first answers he or she will receive is "come to Fel and I'll show you, har har har." Said new player is also likely to get ridiculed in global chat, on the basis of being new.

There is a distinct intellectual path, a rather clear one actually if not a necessary one, between posts such as yours (and for that matter the Producer using such terms as "care bear") and such behavior.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So many existing players have multiple accounts, its so hard to get see that. I can tell you one thing, having the population spread across so many damn shards is getting to be a problem