• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How long to reinstall EC?

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After updating the EC last night, my main hard drive is full. I'm thinking about uninstalling and reinstalling the EC on my secondary hard drive. Anyone know how long this should take with the fastest DSL available to normal citizens and a pretty fast computer?

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After updating the EC last night, my main hard drive is full. I'm thinking about uninstalling and reinstalling the EC on my secondary hard drive. Anyone know how long this should take with the fastest DSL available to normal citizens and a pretty fast computer?
Go to the EC directory and copy the "uop" and "dds" files to a remote directory, uninstall EC, re-install it using the installer to the new hard drive, before it starts to patch the first time, paste the files to the new directory. As a result, it won't patch the up-to-date uop and dds files, saving about 1.7gbs of patch time.

Last edited:

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I found the files you indicated and apparently, one of them is 94 GIG (AnimationFrame1). It's going to take 45 minutes to copy the files to a separate location. Heck, I could probably install the client and update faster than that. Or am I crazy?

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to answer my own question, it did take about 45 minutes to copy those files to a separate location. Took about 3 minutes to install the EC, and 15 seconds to copy those files back into the new directory. So it probably saved me quite a bit of time. So thank you.

I still don't understand why one file is 94gb (which is what prompted me to relocate where the EC was installed in the first place).

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to answer my own question, it did take about 45 minutes to copy those files to a separate location. Took about 3 minutes to install the EC, and 15 seconds to copy those files back into the new directory. So it probably saved me quite a bit of time. So thank you.

I still don't understand why one file is 94gb (which is what prompted me to relocate where the EC was installed in the first place).
If I knew one of your files were 94gbs, I would recommend a clean EC install. AnimationFrame1.uop is in fact 190mb, your file is corrupted somehow, you need to delete it and let the patcher download the file again. Here's my EC folder files and their sizes:

ec files.png

The files that cannot be replaced by patching and thus need back up are your user data files inside the folder "User\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss" and if you are using a custom mod, its files inside the folder "Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced\UserInterface".

Last edited:

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, it fixed itself oddly enough. After I did the reinstall and moved those files back, I logged into UO and played around a bit. I logged out of the client, and later logged back in. It did a little update. Then last night I double-checked and that huge file was back in the 180k range. Not sure how or why but the problem is gone. Thanks for the info, though. I'll keep an eye on it from now on.