• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] How long does it take...

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To become a good mage vs mage player? I've been playing mage for a few months now, and I do alright against some people. However, against mages who have played for 10 years I have a little trouble keeping up.

Does it just take time? Any hints? Anything?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I won't claim to be a good PvP mage. In fact, I'm terrible.

But this is what the person who advised me NOT to become a PvP mage told me (Bearing in mind that his advice was intended for me only, not in general):

"It took me a solid 8 months to become any good at PvP as a mage."

But it depends more on how good you are at games, how you play, how flexible your play style is, your connection, your timing, etc... (the list goes on).

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It depends what you mean by good at pvp.

If you mean you want to become a good dueler and sit on wrong roof all day flexing your epeen then a few months of just dueling people.

If you want to become a good field fighter in a group then maybe a couple weeks if you have a good target caller calling the fight.

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If you mean you want to become a good dueler and sit on wrong roof all day flexing your epeen then a few months of just dueling people.

If you want to become a good field fighter in a group then maybe a couple weeks if you have a good target caller calling the fight.
Not necessarily flexing my epeen. lol

Field fights I'm okay in as a mage. I have the common sense to know where to block someone with a wall of stone, where to place fields, when to cross heal, and just general attacking.

What I'm more concerned about is field fights when its just you and one other mage. If he runs up and hits me with explo/evil omen and then starts spamming on you. Should I run and heal? Then come back with my own explosion? Or should I just stick it out and try to hit him with a small spell to interrupt?

C

Cloak&Dagger

Field fights I'm okay in as a mage. I have the common sense to know where to block someone with a wall of stone, where to place fields, when to cross heal, and just general attacking.

What I'm more concerned about is field fights when its just you and one other mage. If he runs up and hits me with explo/evil omen and then starts spamming on you. Should I run and heal? Then come back with my own explosion? Or should I just stick it out and try to hit him with a small spell to interrupt?
The answer to that is experience....unless that question is directly related to your previous one, in which case it is formulated wrong as you gave a choice and not really "how long" till you are able to do it....

Either case, if you feel comfortable with staying and healing/interrupting then you should do that, if not "trying" to run off and heal would be a better idea, in either case it comes down to experience really, if you would have little chance against the same mage in a "ruled" duel, then running to heal would be a better bet, if you could dominate then you stand a good chance of fighting as is even after the combo.

Edit: I hope that made sense and was helpful, even if just a slight bit.

G

GFY

If someone runs up and hits you for damage like you mentioned your already at a pretty big disadvantage. I like the old saying, "Better to fight and run away and live to fight another day."

On the other hand if YOU run up and cast those spells, chase him down and finish him.

Unless your both standing ten paces apart waiting to turn and fight a duel, it's all about setting the field to best suit you or your team. Attack an opponent and have him chase you into a group of friends, or coordinating an attack with numbers on your side.

Best advise I can give is have a plan and then work the plan to your successful conclusion.

Dorinda

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

When I get back to the States, I am F***king calling our fights. I am tired of you and Dubar's flakey calling.

I shall give you an example of my perfected calling:
-Dorinda calling -"Explosion up, I got curse, Target name + racial slur, Now."

Vent responses after a perfect synch (due to perfect calling.)

Dorinda's response: "lol, scrub." "Did Lynk hold his spells?"

Lynk's response: "How does she call like that, I am in awe." "DUBAR, DUBAR! I got the killshot, I hold my spells."

Dubar's reponse: "good call!." "lynk, stop holding your spells."

Joo's response: "[Insert racial slur], lol." "Who guilded lynk?"

Big K's response: "Can't handle Big K."

Kincade's response (In a british accent) "WOW! F**king archer."

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
rofl, truly entertaining.

Dorinda since I am vent admin I will permanently squelch your login so that I can expand my legacy of being an awesome caller.

Z

Zyron

I dont like racism....

and if u have to use 5 people to kill one then you should consider yourself to be a good pvper...

Directed to the guy says

HURR HURR IM THE BEST CALLERS JASDOFHASFHD HURR HURR

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont like racism....

and if u have to use 5 people to kill one then you should consider yourself to be a good pvper...

Directed to the guy says

It's not racist when I hate everyone, no one is being singled out here.

And it's not necessarily that we have to use 5 people to kill one, but that's how many we are going to use. It's more about using 5 people to kill 10.

JoO

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont like racism....

Directed to the guy says

No one is impressed. Please don't comment unless you have a clue how group pvp actually works.

B

Brak

oookkkk ignoring the last few posts :)

Good spell casting reaction times and being able to outheal anything your opponent always worked for me. Easier to kill a mage when he's low on mana.