• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] How long do chests stick around after being dug up?

Finegold

Journeyman
So..... dug up a level 7 the other night. Killed the guardians, started looting, popped a frost dragon that we wanted to tame.... after we tamed the frosty, which did take a little while. ..and required us to go off screen for a while.... came back to the chest and it was gone.... gone i tell you!

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So..... dug up a level 7 the other night. Killed the guardians, started looting, popped a frost dragon that we wanted to tame.... after we tamed the frosty, which did take a little while. ..and required us to go off screen for a while.... came back to the chest and it was gone.... gone i tell you!
Sorry to hear that my friend... if I recall and as per this old post treasure will not begin to "decay away" until you actually dig up the chest (after which time the chest and its contents will linger for about no more than 3-4 hours)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's closer to 1 hour these days, as a result of people digging up level 6s back in the days when they were new, grabbing the minor and gold, then leaving the spawn (which could be a death sentence for another T-hunter arriving to do their own maps). That was back when anything level 4 or higher was always on an island, the "guardian" spawn rules weren't in effect, the maps were at the fixed spots, and certain islands were potential deathtraps (Dot Island, Blanche Island, Skull Island, Iver's Rounding - even Eiffel under some conditions).

Finegold

Journeyman
Thx folks. I guess it may have been an hour after i dug it up.... but that seems awfully quick to decay, esp if wanting to tsme the frostys that spawn.

Nevermind.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I had one level 6 on Buc's den have 4-5 AW and a GD as part of the guardian spawn.

By the time I was able to kill them all (as to have a hope, you had to draw them out one at a time - not easy when up against a server line), the chest literally despawned as I opened it.