• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How is Windows 7?

S

SUPRsalad

Going to buy my mom a new computer. Shes a photographer, and needs mad ram and storage..

How is windows 7? Good for a 65 year old woman who sucks at computers? Stick to xp? Theres no ****ing way im putting her on vista.

G

Gellor

Given MS's track record, I'd give 7 another year or so to prove it is solid.

While I've heard good things about it, there seems to be some compatibility issues as is normal when a new OS comes out:wall:

S

SUPRsalad

Given MS's track record, I'd give 7 another year or so to prove it is solid.

While I've heard good things about it, there seems to be some compatibility issues as is normal when a new OS comes out:wall:
yeah, thats what I worry about. She runs all sorts of mac utilities like 'huey' which is a mac util that makes your display 'true color' for editing photos..

G

Gellor

In my experience, the best bet is to find out what apps are must have then contact the company that makes the apps and see if it is compatible with Windows 7. Same goes with hardware and their drivers.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Going to buy my mom a new computer. Shes a photographer, and needs mad ram and storage..

How is windows 7? Good for a 65 year old woman who sucks at computers? Stick to xp? Theres no ****ing way im putting her on vista.
Gonna stick my 2cents worth in here... :)

First off, a bit of background. Got my first PC in '84 and have had many since. Back then it was DOS 1.1, no Windows. Since '86 I've made my living as a Tech Support rep, primarily under Windows but with a few years of Mac's. I've used and supported every version of Windows since it's inception and I will tell you this. Windows 7 is BY FAR the absolute BEST version of this OS ever. I've been running it (the RC Ultimate 64bit) on a new system I built about 4 months ago, and since it was "empty" I thought, "What the hell, I've read some good things about Win7 and this is the perfect time to try it..."

I've been amazed at the "steadyness" of it from day 1. I run a huge variety of stuff on it, some in 64bit and some at 32 and it never balks or freezes or blinks at all.

I do video editing, gaming (both classic and enhanced clients for UO) and all the "normal" stuff with it. A couple of my apps run in Win7's "Compatability Mode" with absolutely NO problems.

If it sounds like I'm a MS Rep here, I'm not. What I am is a loooong-time user of Windows and it's really nice to see MS get one out RIGHT.

BTW... Your mother should be using Pantone's HUEY in the Windows version. It's available in both 32 and 64bit modes.

Regarding:
Gellor said:
In my experience, the best bet is to find out what apps are must have then contact the company that makes the apps and see if it is compatible with Windows 7. Same goes with hardware and their drivers.
That's good advice, except that I can pretty much guarantee you that any app that works in XP or Vista will work in Win7... As for device drivers, hell this is a NEW system and as such will be BUILT with Win7 included so all drivers will be there from day 1. As for external peripherals, again - if they have drivers for XP or Vista then Win7 will run them.

Hope that sheds some light on this for ya...

G

Gellor

Regarding:
That's good advice, except that I can pretty much guarantee you that any app that works in XP or Vista will work in Win7... As for device drivers, hell this is a NEW system and as such will be BUILT with Win7 included so all drivers will be there from day 1. As for external peripherals, again - if they have drivers for XP or Vista then Win7 will run them.

Given my experience with microsoft's track record of compatibility issues, I would not guarantee a thing except to say talk with the software vendor. That is the only way to be sure with compatibility concerns... EVER.:thumbsup:

I've seen more applications broken when going from one microsoft OS to the next. In fact, I had the joys of designing and programming a software system that worked flawlessly under 98 and below but beyond crashed with 2k.

Thus, I am still running XP even when I was given an option of free upgrade to Vista.:p

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

First off, a bit of background. Got my first PC in '84 and have had many since. Back then it was DOS 1.1, no Windows. Since '86 I've made my living as a Tech Support rep, primarily under Windows but with a few years of Mac's. I've used and supported every version of Windows since it's inception and I will tell you this. Windows 7 is BY FAR the absolute BEST version of this OS ever. I've been running it (the RC Ultimate 64bit) on a new system I built about 4 months ago, and since it was "empty" I thought, "What the hell, I've read some good things about Win7 and this is the perfect time to try it..."

I've been amazed at the "steadyness" of it from day 1. I run a huge variety of stuff on it, some in 64bit and some at 32 and it never balks or freezes or blinks at all.

I do video editing, gaming (both classic and enhanced clients for UO) and all the "normal" stuff with it. A couple of my apps run in Win7's "Compatability Mode" with absolutely NO problems.

If it sounds like I'm a MS Rep here, I'm not. What I am is a loooong-time user of Windows and it's really nice to see MS get one out RIGHT.

BTW... Your mother should be using Pantone's HUEY in the Windows version. It's available in both 32 and 64bit modes.

Regarding:

Well , Pacific officially has tech support.

:heart:

S

SUPRsalad

Regarding:

Well crap.. Now im torn.. THanks so much for the lengthy response. Im sorta leaning towards Win7 now. I think its important for her to learn new systems because eventually all of her work comps are going to be upgraded to win7 machines as well..

As for huey, I'm betting that it is probably compatible at this point. Adobe is probably totally compatible as well. I just don't wanna be 300 miles away when she has a REAL problem with her os that I have never used..

I dunno.. I guess i really need to sit down on a 7 machine and really take a good long look at it.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remote desktop connection is your friend. You can log on and fix her **** from home.
Pink Floyd. I can imagine calling you for tech support

You'd be like " Dude , turn around... then turn back around. Your problem is fixed dude. "

^ What that means is that I love you irl.

Kthx. :danceb:

E

edda

I've found Windows 7 to be a HUGE step up from vista.. I tried to many times with vista and just kept going back to XP, but so far with windows 7 I haven't had problems at all, or been tempted to go back to XP. Its actually pretty nifty. :thumbsup:

I

inareverie85

My boyfriend accesses my XP computer from his Vista machine to fix all of my issues. :)

I

inareverie85

He doesn't use any sort of windows tool to get into my PC. He uses a program called LogMeIn. :)