• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How is UO playing on Linux?

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Anyone with experience on this?

Since last I played I've switched from windows to Linux Mint 19.

How should I go about installing the game nowadays on Linux?

Thanks!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

Thanks!
Sadly you may need to use a "windows emulation" kernel, such as "Wine" for the OS Mac. That will mean more processing, but may work on a good P5 or better processor. However Linux is a far better, more efficient system than any windows incarnation.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Thanks!
You'll need to get something like WINE. I know UO, both the Classic and Enhanced Clients worked with WINE at one point, but there have been a number of WINE releases since. Best direction I can give is to point you to WINE's website.

WineHQ - Ultima Online

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Surprisingly well!

On Fedora 29, using wine-3.21 (staging) on a fresh 32bit prefix it runs and patches with no problem beyond a harmless error of "0009:fixme:msacm:modSetVolume stub".

Here's a screenshot, I don't actually play on my laptop so its just an example.

Attachments

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping someone had been trying lately.
I have it on a MacBook air, with WINE, but the processing from that overheats the mac, so I don't use it on mac. UO sadly has been made for windows environment, and so far I have not found other UO incarnations, that would run in other environments with no help from emulators etc. But for a desktop with Linux should be no problem, and WINE is easy to use. You may want to give it a try.