• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] How high to stop durability drop when repair?

• Thread starter lancelot99
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
L

lancelot99

Im at 106 Tailoring and repaired my fighters armour....

but every piece i repaired it told me *you repair the piece but it has lost durability* or words to that effect...

so, how high to i have to be to be able to repair without loss of durability?

PuckOfPacific

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Heh, even at 120 you still aint gonna get it all the time. For Metal do the repairs with a +60 ASh It helps a little.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The formula is such that there is a never a point where you will be 100% able to avoid losing a point.

To copy from a much older post of mine on the subject *that was on U.Hall)....

From November 16, 2007 Five On Friday (a weekly thing devs used to do to answer submitted questions):
"I'm a Legendary Smith - why do I lose durability points so often when I try to repair things?"
"Because there's a pretty high base chance to lose a point of durability" seems to be the simple answer. The formula is as follows:​
Chance to lose Durability = ((40 + Max Durability) - Current Durability) - (repairSkill / 100) (where repair skill is Test Center-style, i.e. GM = 1000, not 100.0)​
Example: Blacksmithing of 1100 (110.0), 50 current and max durability, yields a 29% chance that max durability will be reduced by 1. If an item has taken more than 71 points of damage, the chance for it to lose a point of durability reaches 100% even for a Legendary smith. So there's a definite choice to be made - do you repair early and often, and risk failure, or late and seldom, and guarantee it?​
So, for something 254/255, at GM skill, that's (295-254) - 10 = 41-10 = 31% chance of durability loss if you repair.

For skills that top out at 100 skill:
70 durability points down is 100% chance of a max durability loss

For tailor at 120 (and smiths not using an ASH):
72 durability points down is 100% chance for loss, and lowest chance without loss is 29% at 1 point down.

For 120 Smith using +60 ASH:
78 points down is 100% chance for loss, and lowest chance without loss is 23% at 1 point down.

Repair deeds have a substantial negative modifier (my guess is that they get something like another 20, 30 or 40 points penalty)

Last edited:

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Is this new?

I swear I never used to fail as much as I do now. Seems like every single piece I repair loses a point of durability. Seems like since Imbuing was added it got way worse.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've had it a few times when using a repair deed that the items repairs and no loss of durability.