• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How does that work then?

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
nice idoc on a tokuno island, sad people put boxes everywhere to block others

now the interesting part, there is a new plot down, and yet if i try to place aswell i get the "temporary unavailable" message

So how does that work then LEGALLY?

as you can see the new plot place VERY QUICKLY and yet i have the message saying nothing can be placed?

i know the fall time, i knew i would miss it, but i knew i would get home in time for a shot at placing under the new rules, less than 20 mins after fall new plot down what gives?

alot of the ~NEW plot is in the area where no placement is allowed

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
An HOUR after fall, still not allowed to place

SO do we have ANOTHER new expliot?

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've wondered about that, after the fall of a keep a while ago a new plot appeared at fall, just like the old days.

You may be right and a new script is in operation.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
19.19 plot allowed in place

so Crisssy care to explain this one to me as i think this is appalling

i am very outspoken when it comes to idocs, as most reading will know, these changes, i do not like at all, were supposed to even the playing field so people like me cant instaplace, so how can someone get around these rules legally?

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure if my theory holds any water but here goes:

Maybe they targeted a tile just outside the temporary-no-place-zone... I wouldn't be surprised if the code to prevent placement was another hack and only checked the one, targeted, tile.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi Leto this is very odd

the new owner was here just a min ago, and i asked how they beat the placement timer

"what timer?", " this is the first house i have placed in years"

well, i must be incredibly crap at idocs (no comments pls:)) and did not know this?

of course this is NOT the case, i even tried to place a small in front and to the side so the house site would not be in the no place zone, and nope, same message

something def wrong here

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It has also come to my attention that, placing boxes etc to block runes is illegal? is this correct Leto, or anyone else that may know?

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also tried to attend this idoc. however every tile on the island was covered. i thought about reporting this but wondered if it was against tos but kinda figured it was just some gamesmanship.
:danceb::danceb:

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The owner reactivated before the fall, stood under the house sign and said 'I wish to resize my house'. Then resized..

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The owner reactivated before the fall, stood under the house sign and said 'I wish to resize my house'. Then resized..
Well that theory dont seem to hold much water if the new owner said to Jack 'This is the first house I have PLACED in years'.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
different char and moved the plot across so i dont think so, also he told me personnally that he just placed a new house

another theory is that IF you are alone at an idoc you are not subject to the timer? i wonder

still doe sont excuse the blocking of the island, luckily i logged there, and as i am sure, logged in with plenty of time to legally try to place

and i have had discussions with other idocers on icq and i have not had any ideas that excuse the fact that i could not place next door to the "new" house funtil over an hour later

i was subject to the unavailable placement rules and the new owner clearly was not

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
well i got a canned message, as expected and the suspected cheat has built a new home, so it looks like another expliot goes unchallenged, and we the victims just have to put up with it and move along again, smashing stuff

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well that theory dont seem to hold much water if the new owner said to Jack 'This is the first house I have PLACED in years'.
Hey, people can lie - when you resize a plot all your items fall to the ground like at an IDOC, so it would make sense to block off the island in case anybody did show up to loot it. 'Years' could also mean 3 months.. :)

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey, people can lie - when you resize a plot all your items fall to the ground like at an IDOC, so it would make sense to block off the island in case anybody did show up to loot it. 'Years' could also mean 3 months.. :)
i understand what you are saying but no

i saw a friend of the placer trying the blocking idea yesterday, they tried with a few things till the worked out the small boxes work

they had a boat moored next to island as their recall point

i also saw the friend a few days ago as i was keeping tabs on the state of the house, half expecting it to refresh

N

Nyte Doombringer

That is the same idoc that the plot fell last year. LOL One of the known scripters placed there. I remember some other known idocers placed ball bags all over and cast fire fields and stuff.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the underlying problem is the continuing existence of scripters within UO, this ensures the steady flow of new/improved script programmes; twas ever thus and it seems to me it is far too late in the day for a solution to even be attempted.

So all of us who play within the rules must simply accept that scripters are going to be with us always.

As a long time Idocer I am aware that there is currently a group operating a script timer for idocs, that being so it is logical to assume they probably also use a known script to find Idocs in the first place plus any other aids of which I am ignorant.

So what can you do?. In short the answer is NOTHING.

If you are a fan of canned responses you could of course page. However knowing yourself that someone is scripting does not constitute proof and I have yet to hear of, or see, a GM even attempting to identify a scripter.

The only thing to do is accept that cheats are a part of the game and feel sorry for them. After all what can be more pathetic than having the necessity to cheat in a GAME?.

R

RD Gumbie

I have 2 explinations on how it could have worked out like it did:

1)Guy is there for the fall and places in under 20 mins (can happen but seems to take longer quite ofter)
He then decieded he would rather move it to a better spot there on the island so he says "I wish to resize my house" and moves it somewhat.
Then Jack Flash recalls in and trys to place and there is still a timer on the spot where Guy just moved the house from for 1 hr. And by the sounds Jack couldnt place for 1 hr i think he said.

2) 2 people placed at the IDOC one that you see on the picture and another person placed next to it and then tried to resize but figured it was worthless to have a smaller house there?

It's just Ive seen luna houses and castles and noone has beat the timer for those so I wouldnt think they were saving it for this plot, guess we will see in the future.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1)Guy is there for the fall and places in under 20 mins (can happen but seems to take longer quite ofter)
He then decieded he would rather move it to a better spot there on the island so he says "I wish to resize my house" and moves it somewhat.
Then Jack Flash recalls in and trys to place and there is still a timer on the spot where Guy just moved the house from for 1 hr. And by the sounds Jack couldnt place for 1 hr i think he said.
Theres a bug with the resizing currently, if you have placed a house within 7 days and try to resize it won't let you. Still think my idea is plausible, resizing your house is just one way you can get it out of condemned status :)

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also tried to attend this idoc. however every tile on the island was covered. i thought about reporting this but wondered if it was against tos but kinda figured it was just some gamesmanship.
:danceb::danceb:
With regard to this type of blocking which has also been used before my understanding from some years ago is that placing objects to block runes violates the ROC rule 24 which states

' You will not do anything else that interferes with the ability of other Ultima Online users to enjoy playing the game in accordance with its rules, or that increases the expense or difficulty of Electronic Arts in maintaining the Ultima Online service for the enjoyment of all its users.'

At that time i was given to understand that placing blockers violates this section in that it prevented players from recalling to the normal playing area.
In this instance it was done with the sole intentiuon of preventing you from attending this particular idoc and thus interfered with your ability to 'enjoy playing the game in accordance with its rules'. If you enjoy Idocs your participation in a normal aspect of playing was stopped.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
interesting but i can guarantee that the response if i paged would have been canned
Aye theres the rub. We are all well aware of the apparent reluctance to enforce the rules so it is no surprise that they are continually flouted.

The current procedure of reporting and response falls woefully short of what we might reasonably expect.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Placing stuff to block recalling/gating is generally regarded as "illegal" etc.

However, if its done for role play purposes and is removed afterwards is generally deemed acceptable.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Placing stuff to block recalling/gating is generally regarded as "illegal" etc.

However, if its done for role play purposes and is removed afterwards is generally deemed acceptable.
oh yes they cleared up up quickly afterwards, shame a GM did not bother so see, the evidence was there to see

instead i got a can of "can't be assed as i am a lazy tosser" as expected

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh yes they cleared up up quickly afterwards, shame a GM did not bother so see, the evidence was there to see
They may have cleared up but in your original post the picture quite clearly shows what was done. Difficult to justify those on the grounds of role-play I would think, but nicely demonstrative of the sort of things that get paged on with just a canned response and no action.