• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do you turn masteries off?

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to use my soulstones, but I can't since I have a mastery engaged. But I don't see any way to simply turn one off, only the option to switch to another...but I can't do that or I still can't use the stones. WTF? How do I turn them off so I can stone skills? This is an awesome patch #Mesanna, #Bleak, #Kyronix. Really? You just made tens of soulstones useless to the characters I play regularly.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Click book and choose same mastery should turn off.

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tried to turn off mastery off, but it wouldn't turn off and I still can not use soul stone.

A GM came and fixed my char within 15 min of paging :):)

Last edited:

Sara D

Adventurer
Yep you have to call a gm, a friend and I had the same problem yesterday. GM Rivers came and fixed us.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This one messed me up last night.

I had stoned spellweaving, and had inscription on.
I wanted inscription off, and to put spellweaving on.
I couldn't take inscription off, because I had the old spellweaving mastery active.
I couldn't turn spellweaving mastery off, because I didn't have 90 spellweaving skill to be able to use the mastery.
I had to switch to magery mastery, then turn magery mastery off by reclicking it to make it go off, then I could take off inscription skill, and put spellweaving skill on....

If I didn't have another mastery skill to switch over to, I couldn't have done it.

dark sonja

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I have the same issue but I dont have masteries at this moment, so I can´t use soulstone at all. I sent yesterday a ticket but no GM answered, another ticket today but no answer neither, and of course still mastery on.

diary says: a GM will answer in FEW minutes :pie:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have the same issue but I dont have masteries at this moment, so I can´t use soulstone at all. I sent yesterday a ticket but no GM answered, another ticket today but no answer neither, and of course still mastery on.

diary says: a GM will answer in FEW minutes :pie:
From what I understand GMs are US based, so in case you paged outside their 9-5 worktime, give it another try when they are at work.

Apart from that, the solution having to page a GM is pretty cheap.. but oh well.. Mesanna style :bdh:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can someoene explain why this was even changed? LIke it is absolutely moronic to make it that you can stone a skill off, then not be able to switch mastery to use the soulstone to put it back on. Will it let you stone a skill off now while the mastery is active, I am not gonna try it lol, or was that just because you had it off prior to the publish?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
In theory, your mastery should be disabled the next time you log in that char and he doesn't have the required skill level to use the mastery.
Such fix was in the patch notes.

Now, if this actually works as intended is a completely different question.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can someoene explain why this was even changed?
Because people were exploiting it and running masteries without having the skills (stoned off after activating the mastery).

As for the "fix" they made, BS probably thought two wrongs can make it right again ;) Sloppy testing in the first place, sloppy fix a year later..

dark sonja

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
In theory, your mastery should be disabled the next time you log in that char and he doesn't have the required skill level to use the mastery.
Such fix was in the patch notes.

Now, if this actually works as intended is a completely different question.
I am afraid that not work, I log several times with that char and still mastery is on.

I am going to send my third ticket :Begging:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because people were exploiting it and running masteries without having the skills (stoned off after activating the mastery).

As for the "fix" they made, BS probably thought two wrongs can make it right again ;) Sloppy testing in the first place, sloppy fix a year later..
Kinda weird, when I stoned 'off' spellweaving the mastery didn't still run on my chars, any focus I had ( say a 6) was reduced to a 3 if I stoned the skill off the first time I used a weaving spell. As for tarristree etc they wouldn't work so no idea how if you stoned off a mastery it could still work. What was being done? And surely all they needed to do was a 'skill' check when the mastery was being used to ensure the skill was on the char rather than this rubbish they have now done.

Talk about hopeless.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
> As for the "fix" they made
Because the dev team put absolutely no thought whatsoever into what a good fix should be. They went for the quickest, dumbest, laziest "fix" which created more problems (can't use soulstones and can't change mastery) than it solved (someone had a passive mastery linger after stoning off the skill associated).

In order to get rid of my passive mastery, I had to spend all day yesterday raising parrying to the point where I could change my mastery to that, then select parrying again so that I could have no mastery so that I could use my soulstones again.

@Bleak @Kyronix @Mesanna @Misk, I am really disappointed with all of you.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
> As for the "fix" they made
Because the dev team put absolutely no thought whatsoever into what a good fix should be. They went for the quickest, dumbest, laziest "fix" which created more problems (can't use soulstones and can't change mastery) than it solved (someone had a passive mastery linger after stoning off the skill associated).

In order to get rid of my passive mastery, I had to spend all day yesterday raising parrying to the point where I could change my mastery to that, then select parrying again so that I could have no mastery so that I could use my soulstones again.

@Bleak @Kyronix @Mesanna @Misk, I am really disappointed with all of you.
You've been playing nearly 5 years now (stratics time) i'm disappointed that you still expect better. :D:thumbsup:

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Deactivate same way you switch/activate just hit the arrow button by the active one. Or am i missing something?

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
An hour is pretty much what those of us got that have a job, kids or what not ;)
I hear ya, baw....still tho, the exaggeration to look like a victim is what really caught my eye. You can start parry training, then start dinner, by the time you get done eating and clean everything up, parry is done. I think the majority of uo nerds have kids/jobs. I know the ones I play with do.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey Gilmour, you need to have 90 in a skill to select mastery in it. This means that if you have the mastery and you don't have the skill, you have to select some other skill that has a mastery that you have 90 skill in. If you don't have 90 skill in anything that has a mastery, then you are going to have to raise one of those skills to 90 to change mastery -- even if all you want to do is deactivate it... and you can't use your soulstones to do it.
@Bleak is a bad programmer for this bad implementation.
@Kyronix is a bad designer for this bad design.
@Misk is a bad tester for not telling Bleak and Kyronix to try again.
Ditto @Mesanna who let this omelet go public.

Say, Gilmour, are you the same Gilmour who wore a kilt in Seattle?

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Should be possible to deactivate mastery when associated skill drop to 89.9. Though i do know, as a coder, that sometimes the most obvious solution, is not valid cause various underlaying things, or lack there of, end user don't know about.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Anyone run into this problem? Switched mysteries today. When I tried to switch back both turned off and nothing i did turned them back on ,(105+ in both skills). finally someone wiser than I suggested getting a new book. That worked. Now to figure out why when I use my macro for arch cure it tells me not on right mastery path . Never even made a macro for masteries. *,sigh*

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This bug publish was very successful. Wait it wasn't suppose to ADD bugs?? Nevermind then.