• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do you survive Exodus dungeon chests?

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
With 100 remove trap, 93 poison, eating orange petals, and running the poison mastery, AND applying greater cure potions, I still die very frequently to the traps. This is on Siege, so telekinesis doesn't work on traps.

It is a LONG walk back to the Gypsy camp to get rezzed. Am I missing something?

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So is it not possible with a thief template that doesn't have magery? I'm running hiding / stealth / traps / detect / poison (defensive) / ninja / locks.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'd replace remove traps and poison for healing and anatomy and be done with it.
If you are being poisoned to begin with, remove traps is definitely not doing it's job.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah, at 100 I have been surprised at how often it fails. Oh well, back to the drawing board....

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
are you wearing a good, very good 70 suit?
I have trouble with the monsters and things down there more than the traps, and I do have 120 magery.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
remove traps IMO is worthless given the very high fail rate at GM. I run a hiding, stealth, necro, mage, locks, resist template for that with the armor overloaded on fire resist for that task. Vampire + Orange petals :)

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
With 100 remove trap, 93 poison, eating orange petals, and running the poison mastery, AND applying greater cure potions, I still die very frequently to the traps. This is on Siege, so telekinesis doesn't work on traps.

It is a LONG walk back to the Gypsy camp to get rezzed. Am I missing something?
There's an ankh at the desert oasis. It's still a bit of a run but it's closer than the gypsy camp.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's an ankh at the desert oasis. It's still a bit of a run but it's closer than the gypsy camp.
Yep that's the one I use... But what I do is dual client and take another character with me that has hiding and stealth to park nearby for when I need a rez.

And you are right waste of skill having remove trap if it only removes the trap 1:10 times at GM ..... now I could understand this failure if the skill actually went to 120.... but since you can't 120 remove trap it's quite excessive.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what i remember doing them ages ago, they were double trapped, not sure if this changed/was fixed. I tried with telekinesis back then.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I changed my temp up to add Mysticism got stone form. Very effective, but also very lame as far as RP thief skills go.

@Kyronix any chance the Remove Trap skill can be improved / used in a way that people will actually have it on a template?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This has been asked before, my guess is it won't happen. We don't want to hurt any mages feeling afterall.

Fogsbane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For me, on Siege Perilous ~

Orange Petals and Unicorn-form seemed useless.

Increasing dexterity seemed to be more effective than having a lower dex, but -
I still failed to succeed in removing trap more than half the time, so it was probably just my perception and not actually increasing success as much as I thought.
I cant find my log from doing this a couple years ago - but i remember this being the case with my, admittedly subjective and inaccurate, comparison testing.

What worked best for me was a combination of 70's suit, and knowing which area had less mobs, particularly the paragons, once remove trap failed.

Without having or using magery to cure - a Ninja animal form HP regen (cat/dog) seemed to keep me (most of the time) alive after failing remove and springing the trap and jus contiinuing to take damage.
Poison from a failure lasted for two minutes if I remember correctly. The Invisibility potions and smoke bomb loot from the chests help a bit too in this regard.

Being as remove trap was the hardest skill to train, for me on Siege Perilous, I had hoped for better results at 100 skill level.

I think having magery for a heal and gcure, and just taking the triple trap damage, may currently be the wiser skill choice?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has been asked before, my guess is it won't happen. We don't want to hurt any mages feeling afterall.
If it was useful I would be happy to add it to the template and drop resist off but in the case of Siege where it seems to only work 1/3 of the time it is 100 points of wasted skill. Better to just take the damage from the fire, Vamp/Petal through the poison and move on. On prodo remove trap is even more worthless than it is on Siege.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
if I remember right, there are 2 traps on them in excodus. I do telekensis twice. do protection use arch cure and inv/hide. I have remove traps but I have stored it away. certain templates work better than others.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You see... this is entirely too silly.
The skill whose sole purpose is disarming trap is less effective at that than everything else, including triggering the trap and deal with it's effect later.

The devs should either remove the bloody skill or make it actually useful for once.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I changed my temp up to add Mysticism got stone form. Very effective, but also very lame as far as RP thief skills go.

@Kyronix any chance the Remove Trap skill can be improved / used in a way that people will actually have it on a template?
You should be able to use (and succeed) remove trap on the exodus chests. I'll have to poke around and see what's up.

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You should be able to use remove trap on the exodus chests. I'll have to poke around and see what's up.
Using the skill on the traps isnt the issue,it's the effectiveness of the skill itself.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You should be able to use (and succeed) remove trap on the exodus chests. I'll have to poke around and see what's up.
Can use the skill on it fine... the problem is that at GM skill it only works 50% of the time... making it fairly worthless IMO... what's the point of wasting 100 skill points for a 50/50 shot at it working?

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you drink a lesser potion, I believe if you are already poisened the higher poisen does not go into effect. Maybe things have changed since way back when but I would test it out.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can you drink a lesser potion, I believe if you are already poisened the higher poisen does not go into effect. Maybe things have changed since way back when but I would test it out.
I believe the devs, in their infinite wisdom, fixed that a long time ago.

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
ok guys, I wear a 70 suit or close to it. I have on detect hidden, steath, hiding, lockpicking and magery. I walk around and discover somewhere in the area is a box. Use detect hidden, unlock it, hit it for the poison trap hit for the dart trap, cure and then hide. Simple as that.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IMO If you have 100 points dedicated to removing traps, it should remove any trap successfully 100% of the time.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ok guys, I wear a 70 suit or close to it. I have on detect hidden, steath, hiding, lockpicking and magery. I walk around and discover somewhere in the area is a box. Use detect hidden, unlock it, hit it for the poison trap hit for the dart trap, cure and then hide. Simple as that.
Put Remove Trap on, and then you can be part of the Remove Trap conversation, Simple as that :)

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'd be happy with 80% success change, 18% chance of failing without triggering the trap and 2% change of failing badly and triggering it for high level traps, like the ones in Exodus dungeon and level 6/7 tmaps.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

We had a long thread about this recently, most people were too focused on freaking out about not altering telekenisis to talk about how remove trap could be made worthwhile.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IMO If you have 100 points dedicated to removing traps, it should remove any trap successfully 100% of the time.
200. Remember you need 100 points in other skills to even use remove trap.