• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do you hopp between shards with shard transfer shields??

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy -

inspired by this thread about 14th years vet reward "shard shields" I wondered how you establish a traffic route between 2 shards? I am a bit away from these shields (22 months) but I was wondering about being able to get my toons from Europa to Atl and back. Now I read the description of the shields and they demand being down-locked in a home, right? So if I am located at Atl and pick a shard transfer shield for Europa, after one month I get a shard transfer token to Europa, right? But if I transfer a char to Europa, he will be trapped there, since I can pick a shard transfer shield "Atlantic" on Europa, but have no home there to downlock it. Or do I miss something?? So I need at least 2 active accounts with 2 homes and co-owner status, or I have to buy a shard transfer token on the store?

Sry, don't seem to be a vet enough ... Regards, Fizzle

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you have both shield, you claim both tokens, then you transfer to Atl with your return token already on you, no need to take the shield with you.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Save all of you're vet reward choices until then so you can get multiple shard shields. You'll be glad you did
Even if you only plan on playing between Europa and Atlantic. Over time you're game play may evolve to doing events on other shards

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
" after one month I get a shard transfer token"

You get a transfer token as soon as you place the Shard Shield for the first time. No need to wait for a month.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
" after one month I get a shard transfer token"

You get a transfer token as soon as you place the Shard Shield for the first time. No need to wait for a month.
Pretty sure you get 2 when you first lock them down... after that 1 per month.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
it's always just been one for me
Been a long while since I picked one... and even then I didn't use them right then. I got the full set and then pretty much that was it... Eventually, I'd like the full set on ONE account not 4... but meh...

But then I just got up so not really all awake yet.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Been a long while since I picked one... and even then I didn't use them right then. I got the full set and then pretty much that was it... Eventually, I'd like the full set on ONE account not 4... but meh...

But then I just got up so not really all awake yet.
i have gotten a 2nd one a few days after initial placing and harvesting one. it was when the rest of my shields spawned, so maybe you placed on the day yours spawn?

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its a very fussy system.

A shard to where you want to go... a shard for home.

Takes 1 month to get 1 token.

Safety tip! Have an extra home token in the bank. "Just in case."

To move gold, single click an NPC banker... add funds to a transfer account.

Make sure your bank and person are stripped of anything they dont need to maximize payload.
- Dont forget spellbook, runebooks, no-regs suit, ethereal mount (if you can manage one.)
-- All locations on 1 shard work for all shards... so you can build a book for your transfer guy to get around without issue.

Go to a city inn. Dismount. Activate the token for the shard in question. You'll have a few bla-bla-bla windows. Yes, yes, whatever, go already. :)

IF YOU ARE LUCKY... you'll get a window saying the transfer is in progress. It takes about an hour. At this time, you cant log in and do anything else, with anyone. A real drag.

You'll come out at a random inn someplace in Tram (if you didnt do this in Fel). Re-dress... mount up, get all your stuff out of the transfer box. Off you go!

It will take 24 hours to be able to transfer again.

AND... a totally random issue appears to be the same as if a game update suddenly broke! For seemingly "no reason" you will be forbidden the transfer. It gives the same message for a update as it does when it just doesnt want to work. Waiting till shard up will fix the lessor of the evils. hehe

Dont forget, if you want to take money back? Transfer account again! If you are going shard bouncing... more then just 1 alien shard? Make sure your gold goes with you IF you wish it too.

AND... you are SET! :) So simple, a child could do it.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pro Tip - Remove any personal bless deeds from any items as transferring will lock them onto the item & only a GM will be able to remove it for you.

The deed in your pack will work fine later just remove it before the transfer.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pro Tip - Remove any personal bless deeds from any items as transferring will lock them onto the item & only a GM will be able to remove it for you.

The deed in your pack will work fine later just remove it before the transfer.
This must have been fixed. I just transfered there and back and my item unblessed as intended . I just checked.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you tell when & how many tokens are in a shield? There's doesn't seem to be a context menu and when you double click, yes you get the message but it removes a token. I don't want to remove a token.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh! I should have added to my post to insure you never buy and try to transport ANYTHING that was "shard bound".

Honestly, I think this is the stupidest thing in the world. Some bits and bobs really dont seam to have all that great of a value to become a problem importing/exporting.

As much as I really hate the removal of gold checks... they too are "shard bound", so be careful. I always kept a bag of 20-40 million gold checks on hand so any of my accounts could access them. I didnt know anything about the whole transfer gold thing the first time I tried jumping shards and the gold checks stopped me. Then a second time a friend wasnt careful, I took a bag loaded with 75 or so items... had to sort and sort them until I found the problem. Then the third time... it was a worthless shard bound trinket inside a container of clearance goods I couldn't access unless they were locked down. hehe. Odd gift box container. BUT... be careful of shard bounds. :)

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If one has shard shields locked down in a house that they are co-owned to,
and then they let the account go dormant to bring back as endless journey,
would they still be able to claim and use tokens on the account as an e.j. player?
(The shield would still be locked down in the paying account's castle.)

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
would they still be able to claim and use tokens on the account as an e.j. player?
The shields are account bound. Only characters on the account that claimed the shield are able to access it. Don't know how EJ might affect the ability to claim the tokens.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The shields are account bound. Only characters on the account that claimed the shield are able to access it. Don't know how EJ might affect the ability to claim the tokens.
Since EJ accounts can't be friended or co-owned to the house you'd have no way to access it.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why would you even think about letting an account that can claim shard shields go dormant for 120 days, only paid accounts advance the timer for more vet rewards. Totally boggles my mind why someone that waited for 14 years would even consider letting a 14yr account go EJ and never be able to get more shields.

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would you even think about letting an account that can claim shard shields go dormant for 120 days, only paid accounts advance the timer for more vet rewards. Totally boggles my mind why someone that waited for 14 years would even consider letting a 14yr account go EJ and never be able to get more shields.
It's a friend's account who hasn't played in a few years, I was curious as to whether he would be able to use his shields if he came back later as an e.j.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's not "Can't Log in for an hour"

It's "Can't log in for up to an hour on the DEPARTING AND DESTINATION SHARDS."

You can go to another shard besides those two IMMEDIATELY, and play to your heart's content.

Which leads to another strategy. Doing a travel "Circuit".

Example. You have 5 shard shields - your home and 4 other shards; We'll call them A, B, C, D and Home.

1. Collect all 5 tokens, put the tokens from B, C, D (which will probably be Atlantic), & Home in your bank. Put the token for A in your backpack.
  2. Day One: do your prep work, then travel to Shard A. You can't Play A or your home shard while this happens, but you CAN be using another character on B, C, or D to prep for the character's eventual arrival there.
  3. Day Two: Do your things on Shard A with the transferred character, then get token for B out of bank. Initiate transfer to B. While it is going on, you can play on Home, C or D.
  4. Day Three: Do your things on Shard B with the transferred character, then get token for C out of bank. Initiate transfer to C. While it is going on, you can play on Home, A or D.
  5. Day Four: Do your things on Shard C with the transferred character, then get token for D out of bank. Initiate transfer to D. While it is going on, you can play on Home, A or B.
  6. Day Five: Finish up your stuff on D, and when done, Transfer Home. While the transfer processes, you can still play on A, B, C, or any shard but those two.

I just did this in December to collect some holiday/anniversary gifts (including some leftovers going back to 2012, and some Personal Bless Deeds from one shard I'd just gotten a shield for).