• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] How do you guys go about hoarding Gems?

Ommy2k7

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi guys, im REALLY new to Imbuing.

Ive got around 25k, Residue (I had over 100k oak n got it from Bows)

But the thing thats really bugging me is the fact that from 40.0 - 42.7 alone has cost me fortune (Buying Citrines) Is there anyway to get Gems cheaper? or any tricks to hoarding them?

I mean Citrines are like 200gp each now.. so 500 is like 120k :/

Is that just how it is?

Any advice would be apprieciated!

Ommy.

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmm goto Gargoyl city in Ishnar...
I pay 89 gold per amber and 70 up for citrin...

Theres a bank accros from them also....
Your best bet is towns no one goes to like Nujhelm.....

Or Moonglow.... sarcasime on the moonglow...

Ommy2k7

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right o.. I started at the Luna Jewellers and that was a complete Desaster (230gp+) per Citrine. then went to the Gypsies in Ilish..they were like 100-115gp per..

Currently at 61 Imbuing... n spent maybe just over a mill?

Ive put 8m into his Bank, reckon that should cover it?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Go find the random gypsy camps in Ilshenar. Vagabonds at the random camps have their prices start at the base amounts (50 for citrines and amber), and reset every spawn. There are at least 10 spots in Ilshenar where random camps spawn, half of which are on safe areas for positive karma characters.

See the Ilshenar guides and such in the Atlas on the main UO Stratics page.

I

imperterritus

If you have a miner, be sure to buy the Mining for Gems book in Ter Mur. Set your shovel/pickaxe to mine for ore and gems. You won't get an instant fortune in gems, but they'll add up over time.

You can also hunt ant lions and other critters that carry gems.

]]]]]] <-- bang virtual head here for all the gems you ignored/sold in all the years you've played

Ommy2k7

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the wounding thing is, I have been collecting Gems, since i heard about SA.. but sods law.. the only two i havent been collecting are the two i need.. Amber and Citrine.. I think the phrase rhymes.. with "clucking bell"..

damnit :(

U

uoBuoY

]]]]]] <-- bang virtual head here for all the gems you ignored/sold in all the years you've played
Hehe...I've been collecting/saving gems for almost 9 years. Before Imbuing I had almost 25k in each and every gem. Couldn't pass-up the shiny little guys!

J

Jermosh

Go find the random gypsy camps in Ilshenar. Vagabonds at the random camps have their prices start at the base amounts (50 for citrines and amber), and reset every spawn. There are at least 10 spots in Ilshenar where random camps spawn, half of which are on safe areas for positive karma characters.

See the Ilshenar guides and such in the Atlas on the main UO Stratics page.
This, and you can buy ingots as well. Its still an expensive skill to raise though.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gypsy Camps in Ilsh reset every day

Use can also use Amber at 50gp with Hit Dispel

I used Hit Dispel and gm crafted and then DC/Shadow crafted items from 50 to 120. Never used anything but amber.

F

Fink

At the moment I'm hunting Dull Copper Elementals for crystalline blackrock, scooping up the gems, gold and halloween goodies as I go.

I use the Enhanced Client for hunting as it's just a keystroke to open corpses and right-click to loot, and . I view corpse containers in list mode as the bonus loot goes to the top of the list. Very quick to loot.

I normally buy gems but I'm bringing home a decent amount this way so I haven't had to buy any for a while.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi guys, im REALLY new to Imbuing.

Ive got around 25k, Residue (I had over 100k oak n got it from Bows)

But the thing thats really bugging me is the fact that from 40.0 - 42.7 alone has cost me fortune (Buying Citrines) Is there anyway to get Gems cheaper? or any tricks to hoarding them?

I mean Citrines are like 200gp each now.. so 500 is like 120k :/

Is that just how it is?

Any advice would be apprieciated!

Ommy.
Break out your treasure hunter and you can get tons of gems. I saved gems for years for some reason hoping eventually they would have a use and was out after gains of around 10 or so.

This isn't how the game is, but wouldn't it be cool if the rare gems from mining could be broken by a gem cutter learnt from a Gargoyle book used by tinkers. Each gem like fire ruby would be broken into 200 regular rubies.

If I had my way crafting would always be done with players finding resources and recycling. I have always felt that the npc's shouldn't be the business, but the players should be given all the capability. It would also give the ability of tinkers to sell to the npc.

-Lorax

S

shawnee6d

LOL!!! You aren't kidding there. Not too mention thinking of all the minor magic stuff I left on dead monsters before I decided to give Imbuing a try. But hte Gem's, oh !@#$)*$#*%$#. Well, UOTreasures and similar sites sell non-duped player farmed gold for $1.00 and that in turn can buy gems a plenty.

Actually I found that the Farmer's quest is also a great way to build up a few gems, a few of the new rare ingrediants, and magic junk to unravel. I think it's worth while to just focus on unraveling for quite awhile before taking a few steps towards increasing imbuing skill. I just got my dude up past 95 and the effort ot get him there, whew! In the end I had to start dumping my other crafting skills onto soul stones sot hat his max skill points was arround 400 and even then it's not that fast. I'm sure there must be several other minor tricks or best practices that help net gains as well. but yeah, ya gotta have the gems or all the tricks in the world (legal ones anyways, I have no respect for script born dupers) are usless.