• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

how can a returning player use 2D?

G

Gwendar-SP

I have a friend who came back to UO from a break. He tried installing from the 9th edition disk and had problems patching. I think he said he downloaded 2D and gor a bit further but still it wouldn't patch.

Anyone have suggestions? Does this mean that if I ever have to reformat my hard drive I can forget playing UO?

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a friend who came back to UO from a break. He tried installing from the 9th edition disk and had problems patching. I think he said he downloaded 2D and gor a bit further but still it wouldn't patch.

Anyone have suggestions? Does this mean that if I ever have to reformat my hard drive I can forget playing UO?
9TH addition is 2D.

I returned to UO in late March/Early April.

I ended up when all the confusion was over, buying a 9TH addition Box from an E-Bay Store.

It is the 2D client on installation and I it took a while to download all the patches but it worked.

I am not clear if there is a DirectX level requirement for the 2D client but that may be something your friend needs to look into.

IF your friend can be more specific about the nature of the problem, perhaps some one here has had that problem and can help.

The most important things in the case of a Computer Catastrophe is the Account Name and ID, then (well first in some cases) the Account Codes that came with the box or that you purchased.

D

Devil_Woman

If the problem is with patching, have him check the patchlog to see what file is causing the patching failure. Sometimes you can correct this just by copying a good file from somewhere else (maybe you could send it to him) and replacing the one generating the error.

Roland'

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey guys, im the friend with a problem gwen was nice enough to search out some help for me. I believe part of the problem is contacting the IP. What i dont understand is why the free KR client can patch easily and quickly, but when i tried to use my 9th anniv disks i got the failure to establish connection with IP error. I tried to ping the IP givin and of course got nothing so i can only assume the 2d and KR clients patch through different IPs and either my internet provider is not letting the info pass, or EA is not wanting us playing 2D.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey guys, im the friend with a problem gwen was nice enough to search out some help for me. I believe part of the problem is contacting the IP. What i dont understand is why the free KR client can patch easily and quickly, but when i tried to use my 9th anniv disks i got the failure to establish connection with IP error. I tried to ping the IP givin and of course got nothing so i can only assume the 2d and KR clients patch through different IPs and either my internet provider is not letting the info pass, or EA is not wanting us playing 2D.
*Shrug*

I run both 2D and KR clients and I am sure several others do. That is not to say I run them at the same time. Actually I only run KR when I want better information on my Characters suit.

By any chance do you have a Firewall, such as Microsofts Firewall, turned on? If so, then turn it off just long enough to start the 2D client and see if the problem persists. If it does NOT then exit the client and turn the Firewall back on.

What you will need to do is to inform the Firewall that the 2D client is OK to connect to the Internet. If you can tell us the Firewall Name we may be able to help you with this.

IF you do not have a firewall and or turning the firewall off does NOT resolve the issue then let us know.

Mean while I am trying to think why an ISP would block an IP address or not have routing information to that IP address.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
or it could just be that you're not letting uopatch.exe through your firewall.

There are TWO OR THREE different programs that have to be let through your firewall to run UO.

uopatch.exe (two different versions of it, for 2D & KR, each in their version's directories - some firewalls are anal and will only allow you to allow one permanently, and have to authorize the other manually whenever you run it)

client.exe (the 2D client)

UOKR.exe (the Kingdom Reborn client)

(and of course, if you use UOAssist with 2D, you also have to let it through your firewall).