• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Housing

Hi All,
I am a returning player. Played from '99 to '01, deployed overseas, then played again from '04 to '06. Had surgeries, got married, kids, bought a house, etc.. Coming back noticed that custom castles now exist. I have been playing here and there trying to get back into the swing on things. I am using my old account, all that was saved was on character or in bank. Old house is long gone. I have been running around everywhere trying to find a location but haven't had any luck. Does anyone have any eyes on a place? I appreciate any help.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
How big a spot are you looking for. You’re not likely to find a spot that will fit a key or a castle or maybe even some of the larger homes but there should be some spots here and there that will be rather out of the way open for smaller houses.

NANOC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail purpleheartUSMC,
Welcome back to UO. We left a light on for ya!
You can place a tower in Malas. Like Zoogi said most of the spots for larger classic designs are taken in Trammel.

Thanks for the input. Reading up, there is no decay? I was hoping to place one of the custom castle, oh well. I see someone selling one, any idea how much people sell them for? I placed a custom 18x18 outside Makoto for now to store stuff. Was holding off further customizing it in hopes of finding an open spot.

Barbossa

Visitor
Ahoy!

Welcome aboard, matey! (And welcome back to Chessy, too!)

Aye, the market value of keeps & castles has been inflated beyond belief ever since the advent of customizable keeps & castles. As such, unless you're willing to pay A LOT of gold and/or cash, I would encourage you to consider placing a 'smaller' home in a nicer location than you might otherwise be able to obtain by placing a keep or castle. For example, Large Towers (a classic pre-built style) & 18x18's (a customizable plot) are both very spacious & offer plenty of room to decorate & store your treasures. Plus, there are plenty of beautiful spots in the game that will accommodate one of those sizes.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not but keeps & castles are not truly customizable in the way that, for example, an 18x18 & below would be. This is because there are periodic contests that allow other players to submit & vote on their own customized version of a keep or castle. A few entries are selected at the end of each contest and the winning designs are then allowed to be selected from the House Placement Tool and placed in the game world.

However, you are essentially stuck with only being able to choose from someone else's version of a 'perfect' keep or castle, which may or may not suit your own unique style and taste. It is also worth noting that, in my honest opinion, many of these designs are not very professional looking. They were placed directly into the game without having gone through any sort of visible Quality Control process. As such, you will likely notice mistakes in many of the designs that are currently available; mistakes that should have never been allowed to be published into the final 'game worthy' version of these designs.

Please keep us updated on your search & post a picture of your dream home and/or location when you find it.

Best Wishes & Good Luck!
~ Hector Barbossa :pirate:

Last edited: