• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

House pets

W

Wolfways

I have no idea if this has been talked about before but i thought it would be nice to have house pets.
My idea is this:

After someone has tamed a pet they can target it and are given an extra option called "Make house pet". If selected then the pet becomes a permanent deed (it can never be returned to a normal pet...to prevent players using them as extra stable slots) in the players backpack.
The deed is tradeable.

Only characters on the house owners account can use a house pet deed. With the deed in his pack the player clicks on the house sign and is given two extra choices "Add house pet" and "Remove house pet".
When "Add house pet" is chosen the player is asked to name the pet (optional) and confirm that the pet will become "bonded" to the plot.
When the player confirms the choice the pet will appear on the plot where the player chooses (target cursor).
If the plot is destroyed the pet returns to being a deed.
In customization mode the pet is moved to the packing crate (or is it moving crate? I forget...)
To remove a pet from a house the player clicks on the "Remove house pet" option on the house sign and clicks on the pet with the target cursor.
This will return the pet to a deed in the players pack.

Once "active" the pet will become invulnerable and will not attack anyone.
The only commands the pet will listen to are "follow" and "stay" (stay will wear off after 1 hour). Any time the pet is not following a command it will wander around the house randomly, but cannot go through doors with security set to "owner only" (to allow players to keep pets in a stable if they choose or keep wandering pets from standing on vendors).

A house can only be occupied by a limited number of pets. This works the same way as the character followers slots. All houses have 5 slots, so in your house you could have 5 1-slot creatures (like mongbats) or 1 5-slot creature (like a greater dragon) or any other combination up to 5 slots.

Also (to avoid every house in Sosaria having a greater dragon in it!) the deed can only be used by a character that has the minimum taming skill for that creature...with one exception. The only pet deeds that can be used by non-tamers (or characters with less than the required taming skill) are those that can be transfered to/used by non-tamers (for example giant beetle).

Okay, that's my idea.

Benefits? All players can have house pets.
Benefits for tamers? Can sell the deeds (probably mostly the "no taming requirement" types of deeds), and it's also a way to free up stable slots by removing pets that players don't want to release due to sentimental reasons (or whatever). Just make sure you will never want to use that pet for hunting ever again!

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like this, it would be cute to have a mouse running around in my library :)

Kri

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Neat idea, but I'd like some way to "re-deed" the pet too in case I want to resize my house or move. I'd hate to have to choose between a pet with sentimental attachment or a nicer/larger house! :)

W

Wolfways

Neat idea, but I'd like some way to "re-deed" the pet too in case I want to resize my house or move. I'd hate to have to choose between a pet with sentimental attachment or a nicer/larger house! :)
I changed my post.
I had meant to say pets would return to a deed when removed from the house, but i think because i was concentrating on not letting them be used as stable slots that i got mixed up.
I'm easily confused :p

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the Original UO, Pets, Mobs etc never decayed in a house.

I had a Tower, I went and Tamed an Eagle and set it up on the Roof of the Tower. He stayed up there for a long time until some one started to complain about everyone having a Zoo in their homes.

Some people had largish houses filled with Sheep and would spend their day clipping them.

Good luck with your request, just my 2cps, your being way to restrictive, one only need ask, In todays UO, why is having pets (that do NOT decay) in ones house a problem. The answer is going to be, when all the rhetoric of those that just can't stand people being happy with simple things, is there is no reason .... :pint:

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not saying I support one side or the other, but can you imagine the increased strain on the server if every single house had 2+ pets?

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I doubt seriously that with todays UO population and the vastly superior hardware available vs 12 years ago, that there will be any significant strain on the server.

I am really trying to think through the issue of having House pets remain active with the account logged off.

I would expect the issue would be how to NOT decay loyalty, how to keep them inside the house, as there is the rule about keeping things from moving about, meaning they could just walk on out of the house, unless they are being prevented from doing that and then your in violation.

As far as the strain on the physical resources, I would be very surprised if that had any measurable impact.

In the old days, that was the case(significant impact), but then the population was a lot larger and the UO physical infrastructure was, oh what perhaps significantly less capable than many current desktop computers.

L

LSRemy

i like that idea but i would probably change up the slot amounts....make it less, because i can see this changing to an "extra stable slots" argument quickly. Since the Point is to have a pet i would say maybe 3 slots and ONLY 1-2 slot creatures can be pets. It would be sweet having a pair of snakes sliding about my home or a Pet Raptor. Maybe even their code could be changed to make them more active and maybe behave as a "Pet". Following you and requesting for snacks. That would be fun.

My point is to avoid people using this as a sidestep to holding on to extra creatures, but to actually make them pets. we are heading in that direction anyways with Vollum's, Battle chickens and parrots.

W

Wolfways

My point is to avoid people using this as a sidestep to holding on to extra creatures, but to actually make them pets. we are heading in that direction anyways with Vollum's, Battle chickens and parrots.
Well they couldn't be used to hold extra creatures. At least not ones intended for combat anyway.
Once a pet is deeded the only thing they can be used for is placing on a plot (which they cannot leave) and the only way to remove them would be to re-deed them. Once made into a house pet that creature can never fight again.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this has got to be one of the single greatest ideas i have ever read on stratics. am i being sarcastic? no i am not. why not? because i have always, always dreamt of having a lil teeny kitty running around my house!

make it so UO, make it SO!!!

D

Drazasamus

I like this idea as well... be great to have a dog run around in my house, and also it shouldn't create any more strain on the server than all those random heralds and barkeeps that are out in the wild after houses have dropped...