• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

House Add-on for Pets/Stabling?

Bsrlin

Adventurer
Returned after being gone for some years, and re-learning...I thought I remembered some sort of item that can be added to one's house to enable pets/mounts to be stabled there and reclaimed there? Is there such an item?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There is a Hitching Post add-on.

One I believe is a "replica" can be made by Tinkers (IIRC), and can only be recharged Twice.

There is also one that can be bought in the in-game UO Store with sovereigns (Sovereigns purchased via origin dot com) that might be rechargeable more than twice. (not sure)

Unlike stabling at a stable (where you only get charged when you stable), using the hitching post uses one charge for stabling, and another for claiming.

If you go into the dungeon below Blackthorn's castle, there is an in-game equivalent hitching post that can be used by players to call in their pets (As the castle is a no-pet zone - pets autostable when they enter the grounds)

Bsrlin

Adventurer
Thank you for the reply and information. I found the 'Hitching Post' add-on in the store...it can be recharged. I found a description for it on this page: 11th Year Collection - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia . Not sure if the information is outdated or not...it indicates a charge is used to claim a pet, but not to stable it, and can be recharged with a craftable item: 'Hitching Rope'. I'll find out when I get one.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The rope is a craftable, using the rope from a kraken/leviathan and a bit of horse kit (bridle) that is a quest item recovered from killing the Red Death in the Bedlam dungeon under the Umbra healer. It might also take a Phillip's Wooden Horse minor artifact drop from Ilshenar or level6-7 T-maps (can't remember if that's just an ingredient for for the craftable hitching post or the ropes).

The big difference I believe between the two hitching posts is that I think the craftable one has a limit of 2 recharges. And, I wouldn't trust the claim on any wiki 100%. I remember it being stated outright when they were introduced that charges were used both ways. While that may apply to only the craftable one, I could have sworn it was for both.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can only speak about the 11th year collection post, if you only use the post for stabling, and not claiming, charges are not used. I have had one at 29 charges for over a year.