• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] Hotbar Window Locks - Please put them back on the context menu

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Whoever thought that putting those big hotbar window locks on the first icon slot of every hotbar was a good idea clearly never uses a mouse to interact with hotbars in a pvp context...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
And while you're at it could you please get rid of the arrow in the bottom right hand corner of the last slot on every hotbar unless the hotbar is unlocked. Again, it isn't necessary, it doesn't do anything when the hotbar is locked, all it does is block part of the hotbar icon, which can mean the difference between life and death when you are using icons in a critical context.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
What's even worse is that the lock changes position based on whether the hotbar is oriented horizontally or vertically, and you can't control that if you use hotbars that have a size of one, because now they automatically orient themselves vertically if they have a size of one, so if you have any larger than size one hotbars that are oriented horizontally, plus hotbars that have a size of one, you will end up with the lock in different locations, which means you have to be even more careful when you are clicking on them or you will end up hitting the lock. And if they are size 1 it is even worse because the lock icon takes up the top left corner of the hotbar icon, and the arrow takes up the bottom right corner, which means you have to carefully click in the two corners that don't have the lock and arrow icons in them. I don't know about anyone else, but I like making certain icons that I use a lot large so that I have less of a chance of missing them when the chips are down. And to top it off I have shaky hands which adds another flavour of fail to many of my mouse interactions with my hotbar icons...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just in case it isn't clear what I'm whining about, here is a screen shot of a size one hotbar on one of my character's desktops. The areas outlined in red are areas that will be blocked if I try to interact with that icon with my mouse pointer. Not to mention the fact that if I accidentally hit the lock it will lock and unlock it...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
And even though the hotbar windows, and the hotbar are both locked, I'm still having problems with pulling the icons off of the hotbar when I click in them.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
All of which also begs the question, why are there separate locks for the hotbar window and the hotbar? Shouldn't locking the hotbar also lock the hotbar window?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All of which also begs the question, why are there separate locks for the hotbar window and the hotbar? Shouldn't locking the hotbar also lock the hotbar window?
Like on my old UI there are 2 locks: lock for hotbar with handle (the one on the handle) and lock without handle (on the context menu of any slot).
The button on the handle was required for granting a standard for locking on every item.

Have you tried to create a blockbar instead of a normal hotbar? The blockbar can't be resized or locked so...
In case you don't know how: CTRL + DRAG (spell/action/item/etc..), then use CTRL + DRAG to move it around.

Here it is more about hotbars:

SHIFT + DRAG = drag the hotbar with all the connected ones
CTRL + DRAG (on any slot) = drag the hotbar (allows you to move locked hotbars too!)

And in case you don't know, you can also crete stat labels by CTRL + DRAG an attribute/reagent, allowing you to replicate the CC status or just the "quick stat" from my old UI. This tool is very customizable, if you have not tried it, you should :D

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Good to know! Shift+DRAG ! I always moved the connected ones one at a time! is their a way to resize all the connected ones at one time?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good to know! Shift+DRAG ! I always moved the connected ones one at a time! is their a way to resize all the connected ones at one time?
no, that is not possible since you can change the direction and it will cause the bars to overlay and get messed up :D

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This explains some of the problems I'm having. I would much prefer if either the hotbar actions have configurable hotkeys, or they are put on the context menu. As I already stated, the icons on top of the icons are blocking a significant part of the icon from being used - it's already gotten me killed more than once.

And when I'm pvp'ing, I'm using hotkeys and desktop hotbar icons at the same time. My hotkeys are all alt-shift-[key], which means that every time I used a hot key while I'm using a desktop hotbar icon I run into the possibility of doing something weird to the hotbar that I especially don't want to happen in the middle of pvp. That also has gotten me killed more than once.

I suppose another, perhaps simpler solution would be if the hotbar is locked, the shift-drag etc. is also locked and doesn't work, and the window lock icon is taken off the hotbar and put back on the context menu, and those arrows that don't do anything other than block the icons also go away when the hotbar is locked as well. That would prevent a lot of unfortunate pvp catastrophes for me.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I concur with Llewen that the addition of the lock and arrow buttons showing on a hotbar that has already been locked via the context menu is less than acceptable. In fact, those icons are wholly superfluous at that point, and will only serve to annoy the users.

Keep the lock and arrows on the hotbars that still have the handle, those are fine.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Pinco, I love your work, but I can't express how horrible the business of the locks and arrows being on the hotbars, and the alt-shift-drag and shift-drag keybinds for moving icons and hotbars around are. They seem like a nice idea, but in practice how they work in action are horrible. What they tell me is you are either not playing the game, or you don't play the game and actually use your icons in combat. What happens practically is I'm constantly accidentally clicking on the unlock and arrow icons that cover parts of the icon. It means that I miscast spells.

It means when I log off and log back on a lot of times my hotbars are all screwed up because I've accidentally hit the lock and unlock icons. It means that when I'm casting in a stressful context, such as pvp, where I'm using both hotkeys and icons, I'll end up accidentally dragging the icons instead of using them. The way it works on in real play is horrible, and if you can't fix it as I've suggested, I'm going to have to take up coding myself and do my own modding to fix it, because it is seriously screwing up my game.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pinco, I love your work, but I can't express how horrible the business of the locks and arrows being on the hotbars, and the alt-shift-drag and shift-drag keybinds for moving icons and hotbars around are. They seem like a nice idea, but in practice how they work in action are horrible. What they tell me is you are either not playing the game, or you don't play the game and actually use your icons in combat. What happens practically is I'm constantly accidentally clicking on the unlock and arrow icons that cover parts of the icon. It means that I miscast spells.

It means when I log off and log back on a lot of times my hotbars are all screwed up because I've accidentally hit the lock and unlock icons. It means that when I'm casting in a stressful context, such as pvp, where I'm using both hotkeys and icons, I'll end up accidentally dragging the icons instead of using them. The way it works on in real play is horrible, and if you can't fix it as I've suggested, I'm going to have to take up coding myself and do my own modding to fix it, because it is seriously screwing up my game.
the arrows should be invisible if you lock the hotbar, and the lock button on the handle is not something I wanted (if you remember in the old version of my UI it wasn't there). The shift thing is not something that happens to me because I don't go around with the shift button pushed down all the time, I like hotkeys with single button (since you have to press enter to speech you have the whole keyboard for that) :D

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I prefer legacy chat, so all my hotkeys are alt-shift combinations.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer legacy chat, so all my hotkeys are alt-shift combinations.
mmm if that's the problem then it should be easy to fix it in a way that only if you have shift pressed (and ONLY shift) the bar will move :p