• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hosting uo cartographer

• Thread starter ~Antzy~Pantz~
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4
A

~Antzy~Pantz~

Anyone know where to go to find out about hosting a server for uo cartographer? I have looked everywhere and found nothing :(

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have to host it yourself.

I am curious though, as to why two people living together need to use UOC :lol:

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

I know I have to host it, guess I have to explain a little better for the not so quick... I am looking for the website to explain to me HOW to host a server. And what does two people living together have to do with me needing this info?
rolleyes:

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know I have to host it, guess I have to explain a little better for the not so quick... I am looking for the website to explain to me HOW to host a server. And what does two people living together have to do with me needing this info?
rolleyes:
Bubbles its fairly complicated if your router isnt set up right. You have to open certain ports and whatnot. Its a big pain in the @$$ TBH. Kengo and I spent approximately 3 hours setting ours up because hes got a stupid canadian router :p

My best advice is ask someone in your guild who has had to open their router ports for their XBOX360 or PS3. It's basically the exact same thing; just different port numbers and whatnot.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All the published info I know of, but I have not set one up myself.

Good luck!

UOC Server FAQ

Will UOC work with UOAM servers?
No, but there is a separate server program so you can get everyone together. To use this have someone run the server, pick a port from the options window (address does nothing) and make sure they open it on their router/firewall (UDP port 11000 is the default, or should be). You can choose to use a global password like UOAM or per user accounts. Global password is probably the easiest for now. Your friends can now connect by going to the options window and entering the IP and port of the server, choosing a username and entering the password. Checking "Show Status" will add a little red/green indicator to the UI so you can see if you are connected or not. Then pick "Connect" from the right-click menu to connect.

To address the issue further: There are a few reasons why UOC is not compatible with UOAM servers.

First and foremost is the fact that the UOAM protocol is closed and not public. There have been some efforts to reverse engineer it but these are wobbly at best and possibly not very "legal" at worse. This is the main reason UOC does not support it.

Secondly, the UOAM server is very old and slow. It updates at a snail’s pace compared to UOC. I think the UOAM server updates maybe once every 2-3 seconds, which is terrible.

Yes, it is going to be a pain, but the server is still a work in progress and can be expanded and improved. I could even open the protocol so others can implement servers, or make a dedicated Linux one, all without being constrained by the legacy of UOAM.

UOC Server Does Nothing?
The UOC Server doesn't really "do" anything when running, you'll see stuff in the log window when people join/leave though. Make sure you set a port number (11000 for instance), it may not be set. Make sure you use the "exit" button to quit it, closing the window minimizes it to the clock area.

Additional UOC Server Details
Here's a brief rundown for everyone:

You first need to set a port, just pick 11000 since this seems to work, or another number if you like (say between 2000 and 65000). Check the Global Password box and type in a password. This is the simple way to use it which we'll stick to for now.

If you want guildies to connect you'll need to forward the port on your router/modem. This varies from model to model. Forward the port you chose to the internal IP of the PC running the server. To find the internal IP, go Start->Run type cmd and hit OK then type ipconfig it should show up there. Probably something like 192.168.x.x. Forward the port to that address and choose UDP or ANY for the Protocol or Type.

Now find out what your external IP is. There are plenty of websites that will do this. Give this external IP, the port and the password to your guildies and get them to enter it in the UOC options and check "Show Status". Then they can choose "Connect" and the little light should go green! The person running the server should use the internal IP instead of the external one.
Source: http://vboards.stratics.com/1670284-post663.html

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bubbles its fairly complicated if your router isnt set up right. You have to open certain ports and whatnot. Its a big pain in the @$$ TBH. Kengo and I spent approximately 3 hours setting ours up because hes got a stupid canadian router :p

My best advice is ask someone in your guild who has had to open their router ports for their XBOX360 or PS3. It's basically the exact same thing; just different port numbers and whatnot.
Setting up port forwarding is difficult?!!? Takes like 2 seconds!

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

I remember doing something like this when I was hosting teamspeak or something along them lines. I remember having to change ports and such.. just need a walk threw again on how to and where to go :).

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember doing something like this when I was hosting teamspeak or something along them lines. I remember having to change ports and such.. just need a walk threw again on how to and where to go :).
Every router is a little bit different. But you need to configure port forwarding on your router.

Open up a web browser, and type in the IP of the router. The default IP is usually something like 192.168.2.1. It might vary from model to model, so google search 'Default IP for <brand and model> router'.

Once you're there, there should be a port forwarding menu option. Should be pretty self explanitory. If you get that far but can't figure it out, you probably shouldn't be messing with the options anyways and should have someone else host.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
As is the case with many things, if you know what you are doing, it is dead simple. If you don't know what you are doing, well then you are right, it can be a pain to set up. If you've had any experience hosting any kind of server, setting up a UOC server is a piece of cake.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One problem with UOC is that it doesn't allow for running multiple versions of its server (it does of the client though) on the same computer. So I couldn't even offer you a UOC server to use.

Edit: Ok, its possible to do if you ignore errors, but you'll be messed up if your machine restarts.

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every router is a little bit different. But you need to configure port forwarding on your router.

Open up a web browser, and type in the IP of the router. The default IP is usually something like 192.168.2.1. It might vary from model to model, so google search 'Default IP for <brand and model> router'.

Once you're there, there should be a port forwarding menu option. Should be pretty self explanitory. If you get that far but can't figure it out, you probably shouldn't be messing with the options anyways and should have someone else host.
IF you go start > run >cmd (to open the command prompt) ,
type "ipconfig /all"
Look for the address for "default gateway" or "DHCP Server" this will be the address of the router.

So in your web browser , you would type what ever that number is. on dlink I believe it is 192.168.1.1 but you can change it.

You would also need to open the port on your firewall on your PC to allow the connection.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the crap posted here and all you needed to do was get a static IP block from your ISP. I have been hosting a multi shard server for a over a year now. No port forwarding needed. Very easy.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Static IP blocks are rarely free or even available with many ISPs.

So unless the person already has it, then its a pretty bad advice.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I pay for mine...and if you are with an ISP that doesn't offer static IPs...lol...get off the mom and pop platform..nuff said.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would someone pay for static IPs just to host UOC server, thats a bit excessive.

Also, many ISPs don't really offer static IPs to anyone but businesses.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would someone pay for static IPs just to host UOC server, thats a bit excessive.

Also, many ISPs don't really offer static IPs to anyone but businesses.
i got dsl in late 1998 just to play uo. back then all were static on dsl. unless you were grandfathered in, chaos makes a point you need a business line to your house. now im on dynamic cable and use DynDNS.com to host everything i want. statics are for people who don't know any better.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
having some trouble hosting, tells me "incorrect initial package" when someone else than myself connects.. and disconnect them

i am using internal ip to join, port is forwarded

i dont know whats wrong :-/any help?

MOSMOS

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can I run the uocartograhper server in NAS, so every my friends can 24 hours to connect the server?

ANYone know how to do?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If your NAS is running Linux, you'd have to install WINE and run it in that, or in some kind of virtual Windows.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If it's running Windows, which I can't imagine it is, then you should be able to run it.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It should be possible, but it won't be simple to set up, especially if you are new to it.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Dude, he wrote that in 2010. I hear he's in a nursing home now, and his ISP sucks...