• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hiryu vs lesser hiryu

Gorokar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hello mates. Any reason for using a hiryu now when a lesser hiryu starts with 1 slot for training? I'm sad because I have a pretty green hiryu to train.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hello mates. Any reason for using a hiryu now when a lesser hiryu starts with 1 slot for training? I'm sad because I have a pretty green hiryu to train.
Show a screenshot of the first Lore screen and the resists. I probably have a similar Hiryu and I can show what to do in the first round. I have a toon with all the colors and many are not built yet because there are not many build options.

Gorokar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I spent 5 days looking for the green color and then I read that lesser hiryus are better!! I don't know if you recommend me to start the training with those stats.

Attachments

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It calculates 47% BUT this is an example of the calculated value being low but it is a great Hiryu.

The Str is just 7 points from 700. The resists are not bad at all. Would be nice if Fire was >80 but no prob.
The HP is low but that is actually a good thing! You need 700 Str but you dont need HP! (This is like finding a Bane or Dread with Low HP but very high Str)

This will actually make a really nice base pet.

After Bonding:

Get the Stamina and Dex to 125 by fighting stuff. Every point matters on these.

First round:

1. Set Dex to 150
2. Set Stamina to 150
3. Set Str to 700
4. Set Intel to 370
5. Set Resists as you want them. you can use all the 365 points!
6. Set HP regen to 20
7. Set Stam Regen to 5
8. Set Mana Regen to 30
9. Set mana to 400

The base pet is Done and you have 107 points left!!

Can set HP to 506. Mana 402 if you choose

Do that and the last round:

Set Max base damage per second to Max
Pick 1 ability AI (choose ability before magic!!!!!)
And 1 Magic.

You could put on all 120 scrolls.

Pet would end up with these Stats. Can set mana to 402 and HP to 606 if you desire.

I designed this as a Dreadhorn Killer. It will Kill

Damn nice Hiryu! Congrats!

Please don't do anything crazy with it.

Last edited:

Gorokar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Wow, thank you so much for the saved planner and the pet guide. Looks really good for my tamer archer. What do you think about switching 120 Chival for 120 Bushido? I Never tried bushido before and I already have a AI/Chival pet.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Bushido is good for aoe stuff, like low level spawns.

Whirlwind is amazing, but when you get down to a boss, its not as fun. Same with fww(except this will hit 1 target multiple times) there is nothing stopping you from switching pets out when you notice a bushido pet falling behind.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bushido would make it a lot more tanky but do less damage. Would be a good choice for your archer. Also you just need 400 mana with bushido.
It can use the bushido abilities. Put AI on and then Bushido in the last round. You will like it.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Bushido would make it a lot more tanky but do less damage. Would be a good choice for your archer. Also you just need 400 mana with bushido.
It can use the bushido abilities. Put AI on and then Bushido in the last round. You will like it.
I have a bush AI I use all the time. Excellent tank on lots of content. Lessers and regular hiryus are my favorite!

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
To answer your original question, from an intensity and functionality standpoint, there is no reason to choose a hiryu over a lesser. But from a color and rarity standpoint, there is a legit reason to build a hiryu. I run with a Tangle colored hiryu as the main pet for my T-Hunter and the pet is an absolute beast.

Gorokar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nice, I will drop the mana to 400 and add more hit points. Even with bushido do you recommend me to set intel to 370? I plan to follow the same pet planner you gave me before, just replacing chival for bushido. I want a tanky hiryu
I have a bush AI I use all the time. Excellent tank on lots of content. Lessers and regular hiryus are my favorite!
Glad to hear , I never see tamers with hiryus.
To answer your original question, from an intensity and functionality standpoint, there is no reason to choose a hiryu over a lesser. But from a color and rarity standpoint, there is a legit reason to build a hiryu. I run with a Tangle colored hiryu as the main pet for my T-Hunter and the pet is an absolute beast.
Yep, mine is the strong green one, like less than 1% to spawn. I was killing hiryus for like 5 days and was lucky the strong green hiryu spawns. Next time I will look for the pink one but in lesser version.

Thank you for all the help, and sorry for my english.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Even with bushido do you recommend me to set intel to 370
Intel is cheap. Your pet has room. So keep at 370.

The purple ones are hiryus. Lessers come in 4 colors. Green, green, valorite, and midnight blue. Blue is rarest.

Gorokar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well, was training my hiryu today at invasions, after a few all kills went wild and got guard whacked... at least i didn't put all my 120 scrolls on it. Hope i can report this anywhere. never happened this before, i have 120 lore and 120 taming.green color and with 117 bushido... Hope I can recover my hiryu. Sent a bug report email today.
Updated: Sent an email to [email protected],

Last edited:

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I also noticed happiness loss of my pets at the invasion. none have gone wild but some disobeyed at 120 taming/lore and lost happiness quickly until I fed them.Not sure what caused this as everything else seemed normal.

Turkish

Journeyman
I also noticed happiness loss of my pets at the invasion. none have gone wild but some disobeyed at 120 taming/lore and lost happiness quickly until I fed them.Not sure what caused this as everything else seemed normal.
Just yesterday, and maybe the day before, my pets were fully ignoring my commands at the invasions. I would have to spam stop and follow and they would do nothing for at least 5 or 6 tries. I would check their happiness level after that, but it was unchanged each time, but I've never seen them ignore commands like that.

Gorokar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I hope they remove loyalty from bonded pets someday. I don't want to play with my tamer anymore because I am too scared of losing more pets. I know that my hiryu is lost forever, atleast as I said before wasn't a full scrolled pet but the very rare color and the wasted time training it still hurts.

Last edited:

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hope they remove loyalty from bonded pets someday. I don't want to play with my tamer anymore because I am too scared of losing more pets. I know that my hiryu is lost forever, atleast as I said before wasn't a full scrolled pet but the very rare color and the wasted time training it still hurts.
What shard you play on?I have a bunch of the strong green ones on great lakes.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

Gorokar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Wow. What a kind gesture for your part, but as I said before I'm not playing too much my tamer right now and I dont want to transfer your char to keep the hiryu in the stables. I still wonder why after all these years I keep coming back to Uo, But now I know it, and it's because of the great community and people like you who want to help others when things go wrong. You made my day by showing me there's still hope, It doesn't matter now if I get my hiryu back or if broadsword would want to reply my email someday. Now I will always know that there will be someone in the community willing to help by doing their bit.

Thank you!!!

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow. What a kind gesture for your part, but as I said before I'm not playing too much my tamer right now and I dont want to transfer your char to keep the hiryu in the stables. I still wonder why after all these years I keep coming back to Uo, But now I know it, and it's because of the great community and people like you who want to help others when things go wrong. You made my day by showing me there's still hope, It doesn't matter now if I get my hiryu back or if broadsword would want to reply my email someday. Now I will always know that there will be someone in the community willing to help by doing their bit.

Thank you!!!
It's no trouble at all! It took me months to find the purple hiyru and in the process I think I got 5 poison ones...3 years ago I got my shard shields and never used them yet lol.. Really doubt broadsword can do anything about the one you lost so if you need one I'm here and it's free to you... I'm always around here

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's no trouble at all! It took me months to find the purple hiyru and in the process I think I got 5 poison ones...3 years ago I got my shard shields and never used them yet lol.. Really doubt broadsword can do anything about the one you lost so if you need one I'm here and it's free to you... I'm always around here

I also lost my blaze cu, PP mare, dread, and bane, I'll take any donations

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

Thank you!!!
Pets can go wild in UO for years now, this has been a sore discussion point, and some players that are seasoned veteran tamers, have lost pets that were not hungry, and with no line of sight problem or any definite reason. This is rare far as we know. This is why we try to keep loring the pets frequently.
The Strong Green Hiryu is a rare spawnner, likely that and the neon pink are very very rare colors.
I would not quit playing tamer on account of this. After the pain eases off, get a lesser and train it to be a beast. You are lucky you did not put scrolls on it.
Most of the community here is 5 stars. Some people make some rancid jokes but thats ok.
@Meat Elemental is absolute cool person. He is offering a Strong Green (Neon) Hiryu. He will bring it over to Atl. Why don't you accept it and thank him for it. We do that here for each other all the time, if you read the threads here.
You should not let fear of losing pets control your game. The Devs will NEVER return your pet, no chance of that. But the message you say you sent them may help them figure and fix this for the future.
GL to you, and welcome back to the game.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
An old problem, alas. The common source on Atlantic was server crashes. The pet often remained in the game world, the owner kicked, and the pet went wild.

One time a buddy of mine and I saw a wild Dread wandering just outside Skara. This HAD to be a lost pet! Tamed it, found the owner, and returned it to her. No, no, no, I'm no paragon of virtue! Rather, my buddy is active duty military and his first question was, "How do we find the owner?" No way you're gonna say, "Screw that - it's mine now!" in that situation. ;) And it wasn't hard. Just call out globally asking who lost a pet in the crash. Then, what pet? What's the name of the pet? And, of course, the owner would be ONLINE right after a crash. Simple really.

This was years ago. I have only recently returned to UO. Thus I have no idea if that remains the most common lost pet scenario nowadays. From reading the posts, it would appear there are other causes now, alas.

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
An old problem, alas. The common source on Atlantic was server crashes. The pet often remained in the game world, the owner kicked, and the pet went wild.

One time a buddy of mine and I saw a wild Dread wandering just outside Skara. This HAD to be a lost pet! Tamed it, found the owner, and returned it to her. No, no, no, I'm no paragon of virtue! Rather, my buddy is active duty military and his first question was, "How do we find the owner?" No way you're gonna say, "Screw that - it's mine now!" in that situation. ;) And it wasn't hard. Just call out globally asking who lost a pet in the crash. Then, what pet? What's the name of the pet? And, of course, the owner would be ONLINE right after a crash. Simple really.

This was years ago. I have only recently returned to UO. Thus I have no idea if that remains the most common lost pet scenario nowadays. From reading the posts, it would appear there are other causes now, alas.
Pets no longer go wild

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Pets no longer go wild
Thank goodness!! And thanks for the info :D

I'm recently back after a long time away and trying to learn this new pet training system. The change you mention is one that is a distinct relief....and the new system is interesting. Ah, but my beloved colored Hiryus were 4 slot pets and the current Hiryus are 3, alas.

But I do love my Hiryus nonetheless....

Motoko Mounted Small.png

Riner

Journeyman
Governor
With the new pet training you can make a 3-slot a 5-slot pet when it's done so having 3 slots gives you more room to build.