• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Highest fame non-casting monster?

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone know which monster yields the highest fame/karma but does not cast spells? (Or at least doesn't have a huge mana pool and won't jack up a warrior with no resist?)

Ogre Lords seem pretty good at 15000 and are easy to take out with a repond slayer. (The Ogre Lords in Despise are pretty easy to manage but they don't spawn fast enough.) Titans are pretty easy too, as long as there aren't several of them. I tried succubi (24000) but I barely made a dent even with a demon slayer weapon, before I took a dirt nap.

Thanks!

G

Goodoljoe

Thrasher in blighted grove is prety easy,just go war mode and stay in the corner of the cliff to **** him off and he comes just to die at your feet,repeat process.Be careful tho he uses armor ignore now and then but shouldnt be a problem..

D

DuttyD

I have got glorious lord from troglodytes in painted coves.

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have got glorious lord from troglodytes in painted coves.
Yeah I farm the trogs regularly. They'll take me to GL in short order but once I'm there, the fame/karma gains are "little", and I'm looking for something that will give me a little more padding beyond that. :)

I'll try the blighted grove. Never been there.

G

GFY

For my dexxer type templates I like Arctic Ogre Lords.

For my mage templates I like Ice Fiends with a Demon Slayer spellbook.

I use these 2 methods to gain high fame then sacrifice to a demon for gains in sacrifice then repeat. I can get my 3 daily sacrifices in no time.

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For my dexxer type templates I like Arctic Ogre Lords.

For my mage templates I like Ice Fiends with a Demon Slayer spellbook.

I use these 2 methods to gain high fame then sacrifice to a demon for gains in sacrifice then repeat. I can get my 3 daily sacrifices in no time.
Why Arctic Ogre Lords? Is there any benefit over regular Ogre Lords? (Better loot? Stratics shows that Arctic's drop a little more gold.)

What I've been doing is farming Trogs up to GL. Then I farm Ogre Lords in Despise until my pack is full of gold. But the Ogre Lords in Despise don't spawn fast enough and I end up roaming the lower level searching for them, or just camp the island.

C

controlfive

i imagine he does arctics because they have really low fire resist, so consecrate weapon does insane damage to them.

i'll second the guy who said thrasher, he's really good for fame karma and honor. just be cautious of the other named monsters in there. if you've never been to blighted grove before, i'd recommend going in on a stealther or a mage so you can repeatedly precast invis to explore it a bit.

G

GFY

Why Arctic Ogre Lords? Is there any benefit over regular Ogre Lords? (Better loot? Stratics shows that Arctic's drop a little more gold.)

What I've been doing is farming Trogs up to GL. Then I farm Ogre Lords in Despise until my pack is full of gold. But the Ogre Lords in Despise don't spawn fast enough and I end up roaming the lower level searching for them, or just camp the island.
I seem to get more fame then regular Ogre Lords. I like the spawn area in Fel Ice Dungeon because they spawn one at a time, respawn very quickly, and most of the time I'm there alone so I can get my fame and get out.

S

Sei Ryu

I seem to get more fame then regular Ogre Lords. I like the spawn area in Fel Ice Dungeon because they spawn one at a time, respawn very quickly, and most of the time I'm there alone so I can get my fame and get out.
Not forgeting that in Fel you get double fame ;)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IS it really double, or about +30%?

Could have sworn that the devs said in the last year or two that "double" was an exagerration, and it was really +30%.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Nothing brings your to Glorious/Dread Lord/Lady faster than demons. Yes, I know they cast, but their spells are pretty weak. Resist is absolutely unnecessary when fighting them.

All 5 of my characters are purely pvm, so I don't have resist on any of them. I have 1) swords/bush, 2) archer/weaver, 3) necro/weaver, 4) archer/bard, and 5) tamer/t-hunter. Again, none have resist, yet I've soloed at the demon temple with all of them. Haven't died yet. Just run if a greater dragon shows up.

I'm telling ya, demon temple for fame. I've done GL on trogs and ogre lords/artic ogre lords, too, but it's not as fast (and, in my opinion, not as easy) as the demon temple.

BTW, I only recommend using a tank or necro on trogs. Archers and mages can be overwhelmed pretty quickly. Hence, the reason tanks with parry and/or bush work well. Also, positive karma mages can't drop EVs, because of all the cats and dogs (and grobus) around. Hence, the reason necros may work OK. Painted caves is super easy and profitable for tanks, actually, but it takes a lot longer to reach GL.

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing brings your to Glorious/Dread Lord/Lady faster than demons. Yes, I know they cast, but their spells are pretty weak. Resist is absolutely unnecessary when fighting them.
Yeah, getting hosed by spells is my concern. But I can handle Titans with no issue (well, 1 at a time), so maybe demons would be the same boat.

BTW, I only recommend using a tank or necro on trogs. Archers and mages can be overwhelmed pretty quickly. Hence, the reason tanks with parry and/or bush work well. Also, positive karma mages can't drop EVs, because of all the cats and dogs (and grobus) around. Hence, the reason necros may work OK. Painted caves is super easy and profitable for tanks, actually, but it takes a lot longer to reach GL.
My main guy is a necro/pally/sam (sampire?) and handles trogs with ease. I take all 6 that spawn in the first chambers (right, left, and the hall leading to the back) of the painted caves and hardly feel them. I can solo Lurg and Grobu at the same time, but have to pull all my tricks to do it, and occasionally retreat out of the cave.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Oh, if you can do Titans, you can easily do demons. In my opinion, I'd rather fight 2 or 3 demons over 1 Titan. Titans and demons may cast the same spells, but with a good demon slayer, you can drop a demon in 2 swings, before they have a chance to cast all over you.

For years (back before we could insure our armor/weapons), I kept my distance from demons, thinking they were too tough. Instead, I stuck to dispise, ogre lords, titans, cyclopes, etc. When I returned to the game a couple months ago, I decided to try the demon temple. I was amazed/thrilled at how easy the demons were. On the plateau, only 2 spawn at a time. Furthermore, at 800gp each, demons can make you wealthy fast.

Still, with your character type, you might enjoy trogs more. They're certainly easier, they drop a decent ammount of gold, and you have a chance of getting an artie (got a soulseeker in the pained caves, once). Plus, if you have healing, you can keep your supply of aids well stocked.

Another option for money/fame is to bring a demon slayer weapon with a disarm special move to the fan dancer dojo. Fan dancers are harder than demons, but they don't cast. Also, if you disarm them, they're pretty harmless.

PS If you can solo Lurgs easily, you can take pretty much anything. Those guys aren't easy. Aside from the occasional greater, you could totally decimate at the demon temp.

U

uoBuoY

Does anyone know which monster yields the highest fame/karma but does not cast spells? (Or at least doesn't have a huge mana pool and won't jack up a warrior with no resist?)

Ogre Lords seem pretty good at 15000 and are easy to take out with a repond slayer. (The Ogre Lords in Despise are pretty easy to manage but they don't spawn fast enough.) Titans are pretty easy too, as long as there aren't several of them. I tried succubi (24000) but I barely made a dent even with a demon slayer weapon, before I took a dirt nap.

Thanks!
I'm confused. Are you hunting fame for the sake of fame or to build honor virtue?

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm confused. Are you hunting fame for the sake of fame or to build honor virtue?
I have both the Necromancy skill (which lowers my karma when I cast spells) as well as Chivalry (which requires high fame/karma for many of it's abilities.) They contradict each other so it's a constant battle to keep my karma up. :)

G

GFY

If you sacrifice your fame you can build sacrifice so that when you rez players they can be rezzed with most of their hit points in stead of 0. This can be great if you rez a group with divine sacrifice and have them all back at almost full health! :D

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you sacrifice your fame you can build sacrifice so that when you rez players they can be rezzed with most of their hit points in stead of 0. This can be great if you rez a group with divine sacrifice and have them all back at almost full health! :D
Now THAT I did not know!

How fast does Sacrifice decay? My Valor decays so slow I don't think I've ever lost any. My Honor seems to only really decay if I Honor Self (usually so I can retrieve my corpse).

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Virtues decay 1 time a week. (Honor only when used). The decay is about half a gem on the Highest level.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is incorrect.. this virtue lets you self resurrect..
your thinking of compassion.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ice Fiends are about on par with Titans as far as their casting goes. They spawn 1-2 in their own area of the ice dungeon. They are by far the Paragons of Easy Fame Gain, using an Ice Slayer Talisman and a Demon slayer weapon and consectrating it to hit their pitiful fire resist (10-20) will result in a rewarding experience. Just heal trough their initial mana dump as you rush in there to cut them down. They do have a cold damage aura, but it's more of annoying to a warrior than harmful.

Their gold is not as good as an Arctic Ogre Lord, but you will gain fame and karma even after you get nothing from the OL.

Staying Alive,

BG

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Barry, a mage can kill those ice fiends like that with swords of prosperity or an staff of pyros, using that talisman. Without the need to cast, it makes honor gains easy for a mage - even more so with a little bit of chivalry to cast EoO.

My Mage routinely gets to 4-5 dots of follower of honor, from using EoO with spword of prosperity (and NOT using the talisman), killing the fiends in Trammel, but then the character also has 80 chiv and GM tactics (I out-damage my summons and spells over time with a SC mage weapon bow, or the swords, against creatures with no book/weapon slayer, at very little mana cost).

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the tips here have been great. I've played around and found a lot of good stuff while exploring.

Daemons are good. They start slowing down on the fame/karma pretty quick after reaching Glorious Lord though. But I've also found that Paragon Daemons aren't too tough either (much to my surprise) and they give tons of fame/karma... plus the chance at paragon chests and minor artifacts. In fact, I took on (by accident) a Paragon Daemon, a regular Daemon, and an Imp all at the same time and had little problem. I just took out the little guys first, before focusing on the Paragon.

I farmed Arctic Ogre Lords on both Trammel as well as Felucca. Either way takes me quickly to Glorious Lord. But the ones in Trammel soon start giving "a good amount" and then "some" while the ones in Felucca keep giving "a lot" well into Glorious Lord-hood. Of course, Felucca runs the risk of PK's (which I had a run in with on one of my testing trips... and was hosed quite quickly. It really opened my eyes to how bad I suck at PvP. So.. just gonna have to get better!) ;)

I'll have to try those Ice Fiends. I have an Ice Slayer talisman and a Demon Slayer katana. I'm not concerned with the gold.. just the fame/karma.

So.. getting to Glorious Lord is quite easy, with a number of options. It's just a matter of finding the best way to pad it, so I'm still Glorious Lord after a couple dirt naps, and a few castings of Curse Weapon. ;) Lots of great suggestions here. Thanks everyone.

G

GFY

Barry, a mage can kill those ice fiends like that with swords of prosperity or an staff of pyros, using that talisman. Without the need to cast, it makes honor gains easy for a mage - even more so with a little bit of chivalry to cast EoO.

My Mage routinely gets to 4-5 dots of follower of honor, from using EoO with spword of prosperity (and NOT using the talisman), killing the fiends in Trammel, but then the character also has 80 chiv and GM tactics (I out-damage my summons and spells over time with a SC mage weapon bow, or the swords, against creatures with no book/weapon slayer, at very little mana cost).
Does EOO work for mage spells? I never thought about it. I don't (currently) have a chiv mage but I was considering (OH NO NOT ANOTHER MAGE TEMPLATE! :eek:) making one.

Usually with my mage and a demon slayer spell book I kill an Ice Fiend with 1 explosion/flame strike combo. The really aren't around long enough to give me too hard a time. I have even gone down to their lair with a low resist 100 LRC suit without too much trouble. The PK I fought was a different story however! :gun:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My Chiv Mage uses mage weapons - you get much better Honor gains with a melee kill than using spells (and will gain on some creatures long after you stop gaining honor from them using spells or pets).

Since two of the three -0 Mage weapons are 100% fire, they are tailor-made for killing Ice Fiends (when used with EoO and an Ice Slayer Talisman) for maximum Honor gains. I also use mage weapon bows at peerless (hunting with a group, and cancelling the penalty with jewelry), and get better damage over time than I do with spells (even using a scrappers), so I can save my mana for things like summons and the occasional Arch cure, invis, or healing the others (or their pets) that are doing the tanking.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Prerequisites:
Highest fame, low (or no) magery skill, easy to access, instant respawn.

The only two monsters that fit that description are Thrasher and Miasma, and Thrasher is by far the easier of the two. Miasma isn't really that tough if you have chivalry, bushido and/or necromancy on your warrior, but she does get tricky.

If you take off easy to access from the list, you add the following:
Lady Sabrix and Lady Lissith (setting up the field for farming them is a pain, and you have to let the gold lie, but the spiders themselves are really simple)
Lady Jennifyr and Lady Marai (Bedlam is a pain, but those two are easy to kill with an undead slayer on your warrior. Sir Patrick isn't too hard either, but his area effect can be a killer)
Minotaur captains (getting to where they spawn often is a pain, and the side-spawn can be a true killer, but they'll get you from 0 to lord in less than an hour if you live that long. They have about the same fame as Ogre Lords or Ice Fiends but with a nice respawn rate and a chance at Merkatus, who is best handled with a tamer or mage. Again, you can't loot them since getting out is difficult at best.)

After that, you get to the normal Balrons, Ice fiends, succubi etc (I suppose Minotaur caps fit into this group too), and as already mentioned, from that collection, the ice fiends are the easiest. I just don't like the abyssmally slow respawn and typically use Thrasher or Miasma for working my honor (I only work fame for building sacrifice).

My personal favorite to hunt?
...paragon titans. With soul seeker and good healing, they're really simple and give a chance at artifacts (got a shield of invulnerability yesterday).