• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Heres a good read.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
It's certainly a candid article, as are the comments posted below. The article, written by a soon-to-be-fired Mythic employee, offers a scathing view of senior leadership. However, a comment further down the page--also authored by a former Mythic artist--takes a more moderated, upbeat stance.

I suspect that both perspectives contain elements of truth. I also suspect both perspectives should be taken with a grain of salt. Layoffs are an emotional time for folks (obviously).

Fair warning to readers: the article and comments contain language that do not mirror the standards of Stratics TOS. Follow the link at your own risk. :p

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Meh....I didnt see to many actual facts about anything. More name calling and talk you might find at the bar. Boring.
Heck, I could have written that.

B

Babble

Someone claimed warhammer has 100k and uo and daoc 50k in that thread.
But if you check how many people are logged in at warhammer, there is no way they can have 100k subscribers.

Scarier is the remark that 25% of EA gets laid off in November.

Who will fix our bugs then?
:p

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I read the article. I play warhammer and he is far from telling the truth on subs. He fails to mention WHEN Mythic screwed up when the numbers dropped on war. The numbers were posted many times on many other articles and he sums it up in one month drop. Total bs.

Plus War has more subs then UO. We have full server battles every night for hours on end in each tier. Hell we are running in full wb's and people are always trying to get in the main wb's even when we have 3 or 4 main warbands already running. That would be a 1 million times what the best UO could muster up on Atlantic ( most populated shard) for pvp. He is so full of it on the numbers.

War has actually had many subs reactivated over the past few months since they have been fixing the game. Heh I LOVE DaoC but you can go to the Daoc herald and actually see the activity of the shards with how many online players actually playing. Go check it out and see on the bottom right hand side and see for yourself.

Mythic Entertainment | Camelot Herald - Community News for Dark Age of Camelot!

UO has more subs the DaoC by a mile. If DaoC has more population then War I be playing DaoC b/c that game was/is epic. If DaoC has more subs then UO then I WOULD be very concerned about UO's future. If UO has more subs then both then why would EA put very little back into UO then? He/she that posted that is a disgruntled worker and mad so of course going to bash which division they are working for. People seem to forget UO lost some devs also a while back. So it wasnt just UO or daoc or war only. It was all three games that have lost devs and employees since the economy crashed.

C

Coppelia

Pfft, you're overanalysing what he's saying. He isn't drawing a chart of subs, he's denouncing something common in the gaming industry: when someone is bad at his job, he becomes lead.
It's a rant, not a rational analysis of verified numbers.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bah! What you are saying is common knowledge. I was addressing his comments at the end about subs not his pointing the finger blame game. It's easier for people now days to point their fingers and play the blame game on others then take responsabilty for their own mistakes.

His mistakes you ask? If he/she is so upset what and why they are being layed off then he/she should of said something way before when he had the chance to. No matter the conditions, if he/she felt the decison making was going to ruin the game they should of stood up for principle plain and simple. Or walked away at least with a conscious they was not going to ruin their reputation with bad decisions. That what makes a person an individual. The person didnt but instead played the same "yes" game in the end and got burned. Sometimes its not about money or a job. Its principles which this person who is upset ( I do understand why they are) had options they didnt want to choose.

C

Coppelia

You didn't read well. He actually always said what wasn't good, and he was never heard. Don't give lessons, he's the one getting fired.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You didn't read well. He actually always said what wasn't good, and he was never heard. Don't give lessons, he's the one getting fired.
Ugh. He said that yes but he didnt do anything b/c they were afraid to of the pink slip threats. They lived in fear but now he speaks out after the fact. Not before b/c of threats of jobs.

C

copycon

It is common knowledge that whistle blowers are generally frowned on in the workplace, so the posters comments are not surprising. The fact that it eventually led to getting fired is unfortunate and probably undeserved, but that is what happens when businesses are run poorly. Eventually bad things happen.

At least this person was able to retain their job as long as they did and still receive a pay check though...

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a perfect quote from his rant...

"
First, the project leaders did not know what they were doing. Jeff Hickman was the saddest excuse for a producer I’ve seen. All he did was drink the Koolaid and suck up to the right people. He was the perfect yes-man, and this reached down to almost all managers.

My boss who will not be named, again and again would tell us that Rob Denton, one of the original owners, said we should “do this” and “do that” and we would say “omg it makes NO sense, please explain A, B, and C to him. “And then he’d come back and tell us, after we thought he had gone to talk with him,” No, Rob wants in this way. Jeff agrees, this is what we’re going to do. Understood? ” They never actually talked back to Rob. We didn’t talk back to them.

Rob said jump, our leaders said, “How high?! And on who?”
So we shut up and did what we were told, by people too afraid to tackle real problems. It is a culture of fear, especially since Mark Jacobs was fired."

So they did shut up and lived in fear.

K

Kratos Aurion

Quick ! somebody call damage control! Louse just burned Mythic!:gee:

That read was of epic scale proportions. It's a good read and sad at the same time. What a joke gaming corporations have become.

C

canary

Quick ! somebody call damage control! Louse just burned Mythic!:gee:

That read was of epic scale proportions. It's a good read and sad at the same time. What a joke gaming corporations have become.
Well, to be honest, aren't most companies run like this? I know I've seen countless promotions from people who were the least deserving... questioned where supervisors are during a 40 hour work week... seen things go unresolved that need seriously tended to.

K

Kratos Aurion

Well, to be honest, aren't most companies run like this? I know I've seen countless promotions from people who were the least deserving... questioned where supervisors are during a 40 hour work week... seen things go unresolved that need seriously tended to.
Yes, you are pretty much correct. I've even worked at an organization that showed signs of poor management and extremely poor communication between co-workers and managers.

It's the greed factor, such as how Louse points out that all the top tier managers of Mythic are pinning Mark for all the wrong turns, and they're still making the pay checks, including his and his bonuses.

It's pretty sickening.