• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Here is what the problem with UO is..

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://www.uoherald.com/
Poor marketing and a broken website...

MYUO broken and still looks the same as it did 10 years ago.. There is no screenshots of our game, no fan-art or contests, no wallpapers or comics, no daily let alone weekly screenshots, there is nothing there that caters towards the community.. Even The Old Republic has a fantastic web team and something similar to MyUO, in fact, most MMO's now and days do and there is no official forums..

Did they fire all of their web developers or what? A blind man can make a better website than UO Herald if he knows HTML.. There isn't even a search available.. It's poor marketing, makes us look bad for us paying customers.. We pay them to have a decent, upkeep website and we pay them to have a proper/working guild search.. Instead of temporarily being offline, might as well say permanent.. UO Herald is trashed.. Which is a shame, MYUO really came in great handy, but I don't think we're ever going to get an update on the website again and everybody has been completely silent about it...

No point in MMO's without a proper guild and player search, it helps competition within the game by having one... The web developers of Warhammer should be on it or at least the Japanese team.. I mean seriously.. It is really depressing not having a official UO website.. The website of a online roleplaying game is suppose to help cater towards the community and help market the game that is the whole POINT of a website.. It helps guilds, the players and the community and if it is flashy enough, will draw in new players..

/rant over

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A blind man can make a better website than UO Herald if he knows HTML..
But if you want functionality, you need to add PHP, Javascript, CSS and SQL.
A Content Management System alleviates some of that, but MYUO and such is all custom.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While what you're saying is a gross over simplification, I can't totally say you're wrong :(

There is a search function, for the news. If you scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'view news archives' you'll be able to search everything that's been posted on UOHerald since they switched to the current cms.

News items before that are on Stratics, and searchable via here UO Stratics *New* via the search box labelled 'Search UOHerald Archive'.

Searching information from the game servers is a whole different ball game. I don't know what's needed for that, it's way out of my league.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The news search works fine.. I am trying to find some of the old UO establishments and spotlights, back when they actually catered towards the community.. I am trying to gather up some of my shards history.. :sad4:

*EDIT*

I found them..

http://www.uo.com/spot_0.html

Ivor_MacGregor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I agree the OP in that there needs to be an update to the website. Especially when it comes to in game screen shots and MYUO.