• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Here is a thought about Healing Pots...

K

K'torr

I have often thought about how unrealistic healing pots work. I know, that is a laughable word in any fantasy game, but oh well. Wouldn't it be interesting if that, instead of instantly healing X amount of HPs, they instead give you a temporary HP regen boost.

Lesser Heal = +10 HP regen for 30 sec
Heal = +10 HP regen for 1 min
Greater Heal = +10 HP regen for 2 min

It would fundamentally change how all battles, both PvM and PvP are done, for the better I think.

Flame away.

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love this idea. Of course i dont use UOA so it would be great to have something that would level the field a little against all those pot chugging programs out there. Im so sick of fighting peoplewho sit there and chug pots over and over and over and then talk crap about how you suck cause you cant kill them. At least put a timer on them so they would be used for emergencies only... like you can only drink one pot every 5 minutes, no matter what the pot is. But your idea about the same gain just spread over time is probably the best. More realistic and really evens the playing field IMO.

K

K'torr

I have often felt that many of the game imbalances could be lessened, if not totally resolved, if if the Devs would approach some of the game mechanics from the point of view, "If that was available IRL, how would it work IRL".

Case in point, Mage spells. The ability of precasting a spell, then running around looking for a target, is a bit out of sequence. It should work as follows.

Mage selects spell he wishes to cast. Targeting curser comes up and he selects his target. Spell in THEN cast and immediately fires when casting is finished.

ps. Putting a timer of the post would be totally unnecessary. The effect would not stack. The timer would just reset from when the last pot was taken.
If you are under the effect of a greater heal, drinking a lower potion would have no effect at all.

JoO

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Healing pots are one of the ONLY means in ultima online to live through burst damage. Also being able to precast has been the only thing that has kept mages competitive through all the changes in UO. If you had to wait till you were on screen with someone to cast every spell and then stand still through the duration of the cast time; you would NEVER hit anyone with a spell. Off screening would make magery a joke not to mention how easy it would be to disrupt. When the devs start trying to approach the game with a real life rationale will be the day I cancel for the last time.

K

K'torr

Don't sweat it JoO, it's not like there is any chance that changes like these will be implemented. Just putting it out as a "what if".

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd love it if healing and stamina potions were tweaked to be an "improves regen" type effect... and maybe even make cure potions take (a small amount of) time before working.
Other things would need to be considered, of course, to reduce the current "need" of potions.

Dragkiris

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Obvisouly they have never really pvp'd if they bring up the pot changes or the magery changes. We didnt see these guys saying healing 60 dmg ever 2 seconds with aids is overpowering for dexxers.

K

K'torr

No, I don't really PvP that much, mainly because I suck at it. And changes to things like Pots and Mage spells would fundamentally change a lot of things. And while some might not feel the same, change can sometimes be a good thing. Who knows, maybe a good game reshuffle could actually improve UO.
But as I said, it's not likely anything like this could actually happen.