• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help with Vet Training please!

R

Razzputon

I looked through the Tamers Forums and did searches on Vet training but I could not find anything on it. If I have over looked it, my apologies ahead of time.

I'm pretty new to taming. This is my first one on any shard. I'm looking for a way to Train the Vet skill. A fellow Tamer mentioned that you can tame a couple pets, have them attack each other and heal them to train Vet skill. I'm cool with this but I dont know the specifics.

Whats the pet type of pet to use for this? Actualy, whats the best neutral pet to tame for this? How do I get them to fight each other and is there a specific OUAssist that I can use to optimize the heals on the pets?

Thanks ahead of time. =)

P

Prudentis

Easiest method is go dig up a shadow ele and have your pet attack it, then just heal until your eyes and fingers bleed (or you have reached your goal)
This can be combined with training a pet. Use a pet you want to train and it will gain in magery, medi tactics, wrestling and anatomy
The shadow elemental cannot be hurt by magery or pets so you will be able to train as long as you like.

G

What I have done is, lets say you are taming harts for taming gains tame one and do not release it then tame a second one and release the second one. Now have the tamed one attack the fresh released one and vet the tamed one. Every couple of rounds replace the one you have been vetting with a fresh tame. Once you get through polar bears your vet should be high enough to be useable through normal game play. Once I could res my pets I just let it gain through normal game play.

G

There are 2 options:

1) the profitable and interesting one - Take your pets out hunting and vet as you go. Pick any monster that your pets will take a while to kill (ideally) so your vetting isn't interrupted too much with looting time. This will train you, your pets and fill up your bank.

2) the boring and unprofitable one - Spar 2 pets (anything will do, just pick ones that you can keep alive) Vet pets while they fight and you'll get vet gains. Note that if you're buying bandies, this will cost you GPs to do. Hence why I prefer normal hunting to train vet

In either case, if you can set up a macro in UOAssist to use item type (bandages) then target pet 1 and make another for your other pet, it'll ensure you can keep your pets alive while you train, and when you hunt.

If you don't have UOA, you can make up macros to vet in there. If you look back a page or 2 for a thread about vet macros you'll find a detailed rundown about how I've worked it.

Wenchy

I

imported_EnigmaMaitreya

I have done a couple of things to raise vet.

As noted earlier I would tame a Polar Bear then tame another and have the New tame Kill the Prev Tame and vet the New Tame. Rinse and Repeat.

BUT

I also caped Magery with a 100% LRC suit.

I went to the First Island in the Moongate list on the SE expansion. Found a Group of Tesukie(sp) Wolves that I could single pull to a Kill Box. I summoned an Earth Elemental, pulled a Wolf, hide or invis and send in the Earthy. Vet the Earthy until Wolfy is dead. I was getting 3 to 5 skill ups per Wolf in non Power Hour Time. About 1k Loot every Wolf, I pick up good Rings and Bracelets on occasion, one was a +14 Vet and other mods.

I have subsequently modified this to Honor the Wolf first then Kill him and have started building up my Honor Virtue.

My Taming is 81.7 and the best (until last night) pet was a Frenzied Osterd. They can not stand up to the Wolves and have me skilling up in Veterinary.

I Tried taming one of the Fox things on the 3rd Island as it had a minimum 80.7 Taming required. This was just strange versus my other experiences so far. I never ever failed to start a Tame cycle. I also never ever Tamed it. I did this for 2 hours, died about 6 times, Rezed my Frenzied each time (had to quit the Client once as the Frenzied got lost somewhere). I get the being very close to the Req to Tame thing and Failing but it was very different getting a 100% tame cycle start.

Anywho I went to Luna and asked Lord Bob if he would come tame that Laughing Fox for me and he did right away. Now we shall see who laughs last

PS: I have not found a good opponent for the Fox yet and he clearly cuts through Ogres, Trolls, Ettins etc with the greatest of ease. I will probably find the Mob mix I am looking for on Test Server while this one has down time in the stable (teach his butt to laugh at my corpse).

I totaly don't know what drives the Barding Difficulty on the Lore Gump but I do know it goes up as any stat/resist/skill changes. I tend to just ues that as a quick guide to relative value of the pet.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

I looked through the Tamers Forums and did searches on Vet training but I could not find anything on it. If I have over looked it, my apologies ahead of time.

I'm pretty new to taming. This is my first one on any shard. I'm looking for a way to Train the Vet skill. A fellow Tamer mentioned that you can tame a couple pets, have them attack each other and heal them to train Vet skill. I'm cool with this but I dont know the specifics.

Whats the pet type of pet to use for this? Actualy, whats the best neutral pet to tame for this? How do I get them to fight each other and is there a specific OUAssist that I can use to optimize the heals on the pets?

Thanks ahead of time. =)

[/ QUOTE ]

What I did once my skill was high enough I hung out in Luna when I wasn't hunting stuff and rezed pets as they came in...that got me a few good gains...

G

If you're gonna use 2 Pets to fight each other, Gamans do pretty good. They're the toughest 1 Slot pet there is.

G

Power Hour hasn't existed in a LONG time, several years. I miss the days of logging on and immediately recalling to Ice Isle to tame White Wolves for Taming gains. GMed off of them in 98.

I

imported_EnigmaMaitreya

<blockquote><hr>

Power Hour hasn't existed in a LONG time, several years. I miss the days of logging on and immediately recalling to Ice Isle to tame White Wolves for Taming gains. GMed off of them in 98.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok then what the Hades is the Guaranteed Gains System?

I guess I am going to need to Google it

G

GGS means that if you haven't gained in a skill in so long, the next time you succesfully use the skill you are guaranteed to gain in it. It depends on how many total skillpoints your char has. However once you gain in that skill, it resets the timer.

Power Hour happened for the first hour that you logged on when you haven't been on that char in 24+ Hours or when that char last had Power Hour. During Power Hour, the chance to gain increased when successfully using a skill. Power Hour also happened at Midnight, but used up that day's Power Hour. For example, i could log on at 8:00 PM, and have my Power Hour if i hadn't logged in that char in the past 24 Hours. I could have another Power Hour 4 hours later at 12:00 AM, but i wouldn't be able to have another Power Hour until 24 Hours later.

I

imported_EnigmaMaitreya

Thanks for the explanations and link.

I read all that and I think it best I just keep my fingers busy elsewhere for the time being.

J

joblackjon

Training a tamer is hard work. Sooner or later most people just go for a GGS. So I say have a little fun with it!

I'm training my 3rd tamer. Currently I tame 4-5 Gamans in the Kitsuni Woods and then use them to take down Kits and Tsuki Wolves. I get solid Vet gains trying to keep them alive. It's good experience for handling fast Vetting on relatively weaker pets and I get a bag full of hides and gold.

G

Hello there,
At higher levels of vet, the best way to get gains is trying to resurrect a dead pet. Simply res it and then hit NO when it asks if you want to res it, repeat over and over. Since resurrecting a pet requires more skill than just healing, you get better gains when you are at a higher level. BTW, this is what I have heard in some circles and will be trying this tonight. Sounds good in theory so I will put it out there for you... GL.

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just tamed 2 polar bears and had them fight each other and vetted them to gain. Taming is the only tamer skill thats hard to train. Lore and Vet are simple as pie.