• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help on Pure Mage > T-Hunter Build?

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Hey everyone, I have a pure mage that I used to PVP with back in the day (6-10 years ago) that is scrolled out at 6x120 Mage, Eval, Med, Focus, Wrestling & Resist Spells, though only in the 115's on 4/6 (Legendary Focus and Wrestling). Given my current interests after returning to UO and current playstyle, I'd really like to turn him into a Treasure Hunter to experience a portion of the game I have never delved into. I have read up on some of the more recent changes to Cartography vs. Mining but I am curious on whether or not I am going to need lock picking as some of what I have read insinuates the "scaling" of magic unlock to be applied to more difficult locks as you raise Magery skill? I am assuming remove trap is still necessary and I was hoping to fit in MYSTICISM on the build as I will most def need a meat shield from what I have gathered. I was hoping to keep eval to cast over RC but wanted to get ideas from people who may have play tested this. Just looking to get an overall understanding of what level of difficulty I will be facing and where I should focus the template. I realize this char will be back in Fel when he reaches his pinnacle and is (hopefully) doing top tier maps. I already run a disco/bard mage tamer that is pretty much my main so I am looking for something to log into w/ a different playstyle. For starting gear I have a 120'd smith/tailor/imbue/carp crafter and a 7x gm alchemist, inscription and all of the other crafting I couldn't fit on the other besides cooking.

Last edited:

WiggyJiggyJed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
You will definitely need Lockpicking if you want to do Horde or Trove maps. Magic Unlock can only open up to Cache.

Remove Trap isn't absolutely necessary, but I would recommend it. Otherwise you end up having to kill Guardian Spawn that give no loot, which wastes a bunch of time, esp. on Horde/Trove.

I have seen Magery/Spellweaving builds, and even Magery/Spellweaving/Mysticism. Obviously there are concessions to make in order to add Spellweafing/Mysticism, and that usually means Eval and Med (and in your case Wrestling).

Personally, I run a Mysticism/Magery build and use RC for killing the spawn on.
120 Mysticism
110 Magery
105 Focus
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
100 Remove Trap
95 Resist

There is always the option of digging up the chest with T-Hunter skills, mark rune, recall home, stone t-hunting skills for combat skills, recall back, kill spawn, recall home, stone combat skills for t-hunting, open chest. A bit tedious, but gives you the best skills for the specific task at hand.

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Thank you for the the post! I realize I misspoke when suggesting SW as I meant Mystic to summon RC. I'll adjust that in the OP. I was thinking along the lines of Mystic 120 (natural), 90 mage, 90 eval, 100 cart, lp, rt. I can use jewelry to hit 120 Mage/Eval and that will leave me w/ 120 pts. Do you find Resist a must w/ the RC? Also is Focus considered superior to med? TY again!

EDIT: Also would I be better suited choosing another 120 "real skill" vs Mystic via this build for specific mastery?

Last edited:

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
More I think about it though, the more I think it's gonna really come down to gear for what I've presented there.... gonna be hard to get FC/FCR, skills and luck... unless maybe I'm swapping equipment.

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Then I guess my next question is, w/o jeopardizing the scrolls this toon has already eaten back in the day, is Magery alone too fickle to run the build w/o Mystic or SW?

WiggyJiggyJed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
In addition to what @Odin of Europa said, another benefit to focus is that it isn't hindered by non-medable armor, whereas Meditation is.

I have 120 real Mysticism, but I haven't done mastery, so I can't help there.

Since I rely on RC to do the majority of the damage, FC/FCR aren't a huge concern for me. Naturally, faster is better, but not critical. Also, I carry a luck suit for digging, and switch to a combat suit before the chest fully erupts. Luck only comes into play on the initial dig.

As for Magery without Mystic/SW, I don't know how easy it will be to take down multiple Ancient Wyrms/Greater Dragons/Frost Dragons, with just Magery. RC can inflict and take a lot of damage, and because he's red, nothing attacks him until he targets it (i.e. only one mob dealing damage to him at a time). I'm sure it's possible to run just magery, I just can't say how practical it would be.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A caster of any kind fine for lower level but hoard and trove will give you trouble

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I think I have settled on the following:

1659659087491.png

I already have the Crystaline Ring, can source the extra 10 in Mysticism from the book and Imbue the final 10 in Focus. I can soul stone off Eval and Med and always swap them back in place of Cartography/Lockpicking after certain points on harder maps if needed for the spawn.