• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

help! my characters can hardly move after the 9/23/09 patch

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
is there a way to get this patch off my system??

i had no issues whatsoever with crashes, the map (overview), etc. i've been playing most of the day without issue in the underworld & abyss. i logged out for 45 minutes, came back and got the new patch. now my chars can't hardly move (2d client).

my network connection is great to every site (even stratics is loading fast). but uo is almost completely unplayable. i take a step, freeze, wait 5 seconds, repeat or i press the right mouse button & don't move at all. i've logged on to sonoma & chessy to see if it was shard specific & it's not.

i also did the other normal reset stuff (recycled the router, cable modem & rebooted my pc). i even re-downloaded the client & reinstalled/patched. i'm at a loss. the game is unplayable & i don't know what else to try. any ideas anyone?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Standard "Can't hurt, probably won't help, but try it anyway" suggestion, you could try defragging the hard drive. It's possible that the patch fragmented some files in an unfortunate way.

I don't think that's what it is, so feel free to just tell me you did it and it didn't help.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you use UOA or UOAM? If so, try launching just UO without either of those programs.

And as another random thought, try closing your radar map and see if you're still laggy.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's what I've already done to no avail trying to fix this problem:
1. rebooted
2. power reset my router
3. power reset my cable modem
4. verified i had the most recent video bios, video drivers, & pc bios
5. installed DirectX 10
6. un-installed all ultima online software
6. deleted the EA games folder from MyDocuments
7. downloaded the most recent 2D Classic Client
8. reinstalled UO & successfully patched UO
9. deleted all temp files
10. ran traceroutes to Sonoma & Chesapeake (good connections to both servers)
11. verified the problem occurs on SA upgraded accounts & non-SA accounts using the Legacy client.
12. defraged the hard drive
13. logged into uo with & without uoassist

and it still isn't working right!!

here's what i have noticed...if i click & hold down the right-mouse button (trying to make my character run) the character will freeze in place most of the time. sometimes it will move one step. very rarely it will move 4 or 5 tiles. BUT i can move 10 tiles (one at a time) if i right click 10 times. aarrgghhh.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try turning down the ....forget the term... viewing range? drawing range? update range?

Look through the list of macros, and set a key to decrease the range, and one for default range. See if you can run faster with the range set low. You'll have to tap the key a few times, and you'll see an uncolored square shrink your field of view.

Try turning off numlock, holding CTRL, and running by holding down the numbers on your numpad. Do you experience the exact same lag, different lag, or none? Can you just walk with the mouse reliably? Do you have lag dragging items, opening your paperdoll, or opening containers?

If you stand still, does everything else appear to lag still or can people run past you and you'll see them at full speed?

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
is the range option a uo option or something within windows? i'm not familar with it and i'm running the legacy (2d) client which does not have a range option.

i tried your suggestion of running using the arrow keys & it works great! (although i wouldn't want to have to use that method to run all the time and it's not really running it's more like a trot.)

containers open fine, other players fly by me, & the game plays at normal speed.

waiting for your next suggestion. (and ty for trying to help).

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't worry about the range setting. It's a UO setting, but if you can move alright with the numpad that shouldn't matter.

Do you have a wireless mouse? Basically, everything points not so much to the game lagging, as it does to the client just not interpreting the right mouse button properly. If you have a spare mouse laying around, try using it. I'm not saying that's a permanent solution, but it'd give more information. What sort of mouse do you have?

Try holding alt and left-clicking on somebody. See if you can follow them at normal speed.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like it is not lag but a mouse problem.

Right click is not properly detecting a drag or releasing it. Does the same thing happen when you try to drag and drop a file in windows using the right mouse button?

A couple of things to try.

Swap a spare mouse to test.

If it is a wired Usb mouse, try unplugging it and plugging it back in.

If wireless, change the battery. Reset the frequency as well.

Lastly, uninstall the mouse drivers and any related programs like remnant intellipoint etc. Then reinstall the drivers.