• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help me to resolve this character dynamic

Crimson Hawk Moth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
When have you ever seen a 'Grand Master'/'Legendary' mage, or mystic make their living as a fisher in fantasy.
I can handle being forced to basically run Mystic on my Treasure Hunter, although I feel a melee skill
is more fitting for the character dynamic. but Fisher ehhhh ?

And yes this is driving me crazy for some reason.

Alira Drakrul

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I think we need a bit more details, but everyone needs a "hobby". Fishing can be hobby no matter what other skills they have.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make your fisher an archer. This works well, better in some instances than magic. I have 2 Legendary Fishers. One is a mystic/mage and the other is an archer/stealther. An archer with a snake slayer repeating crossbow dispatches those pesky sea serpents that pop up almost instantly. Stealth is wonderful for getting to some of the nastier fishing spots. Having said that being able to summon an RC or a couple of EVs to body guard you while you fish is very useful as well. Have you tried fishing in Destard? Gonna have to fight pretty much while you fish.

As to your opening question....When a fisher has to claw his/her way through the Prism of Light or Terethan Keep for some fish....I think you can make a case for Legendary Mage Fishermen.

It is also quite easy for a fisher to pad his income with piracy so those combat skills be they magic or archery are quite useful.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could be a disgraced magus or someone hiding from his past. You see this a lot in fiction where the character starts out 'talented;' perhaps someone important died on his watch so he gave up his role as a [insert dangerous profession here] for a simpler life, before circumstance forces him back into the action.

Could be the Obi-Wan Kenobi or the Gandalf, where being a fisherman is a deliberate guise meant to hide his true power and purpose.

Could be in witness protection.

As someone mentioned above, it could be a hobby. I personally know several business people who like to go fishing, hiking and so forth on the weekends. I'm one of them.

He could also incorporate fishing as part of his wizardry. Mages are essentially the 'Scientists' of our fictional universe. Perhaps he is the equivalent of a marine biologist, collecting fish and marine wildlife for study, preferring water-based spells and companions, and engaging in more sea-based adventure, and so on.

#thoughts

Crimson Hawk Moth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Could be a disgraced magus or someone hiding from his past. You see this a lot in fiction where the character starts out 'talented;' perhaps someone important died on his watch so he gave up his role as a [insert dangerous profession here] for a simpler life, before circumstance forces him back into the action.

Could be the Obi-Wan Kenobi or the Gandalf, where being a fisherman is a deliberate guise meant to hide his true power and purpose.

Could be in witness protection.

As someone mentioned above, it could be a hobby. I personally know several business people who like to go fishing, hiking and so forth on the weekends. I'm one of them.

He could also incorporate fishing as part of his wizardry. Mages are essentially the 'Scientists' of our fictional universe. Perhaps he is the equivalent of a marine biologist, collecting fish and marine wildlife for study, preferring water-based spells and companions, and engaging in more sea-based adventure, and so on.

#thoughts

Thanks I really liked the disgraced magus trope. I think I could go with that.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
In Arthurian Legend, Merlin loved fishing when he wasn't out and about trying to guide Arthur and save the British Isles from Saxon raiders. It's a fun idea to have a toon that can be effective, but also have one skill slot set aside for an un-related hobby.

Anymore background on your character / perspective?

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You trash fool! I'm a legendary mage and necromancer and I've had all sorts of hopeless jobs including but not limited to: fisherman, soldier, silversmith, seamstress, non-kosher abattoir worker, shochet, beautiful boy, clown, hedge maze groundskeeper, ghoul breeder, plastic surgeon, sodomite, racehorse, blackrock miner, shepherd, goatherd, executioner, university lecturer, carpenter, alchemist, sexy alchemist, author, babysitter, househusband, prostitute, stonemason, funeral parlour director, glazier, geologist, vollem breeder and midwife. The secret is passion. Follow your dreams! They will lead you astray and your life will be an utmost disaster like mine has been. Weep for me. Don't weep for me. I'm too gorgeous for this world.