• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hello, Question about Starting UO

Trammie_Surprise

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi everyone, I am a returning UO player. This time I am bringing friends with me to play the game but was surprised to see a UO account with Stygian Abyss and High Seas is going to cost like $45.

My friends think this cost is high to play a subscription game, is there a way to get an expansion enabled account cheaper?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My friends think this cost is high to play a subscription game, is there a way to get an expansion enabled account cheaper?
Option 1: Wait for a sale on the Origin store when they (sometimes) discount many of the products.

Option 2: Make a normal account without any of the expansions. Farm in game like crazy so you can use the in game gold you have made to buy an upgrade code for the account.

You can get a rough idea of how much it will cost you for the codes here: https://stratics.com/community/thre...erver-6-month-game-time-code-275m-atl.325151/

PS.. It will take a new player quite a long time to get a few hundred million for the codes.

Kuzan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If they just want to try uo out you start out with mondalns legacy for free aside from monthly subscription other than that I don't know of any cheaper prices you can buy them one at a time the restrictions are not very bad just can't enter ter mur or get on high seas boats or wear armor that is tagged Stygian abyss expansion I went 4 months before I purchased

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
restrictions are not very bad just can't enter ter mur or get on high seas boats or wear armor that is tagged Stygian abyss expansion I went 4 months before I purchased
or wear any of the new decent armour / items that require the SA update.

Trammie_Surprise

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
How hard is it to get a Luna Vendor? Last time I played (1 year ago) it took me weeks before I could even get a response from a Luna Vendor.

I will be playing on Atlantic server.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many of the vendor houses have ICQ numbers on the signs so easy to get in touch with them to rent a vendor. Now we have vendor search in game location really is not that important

Danika

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
If you get the Stygian Abyss expansion that's for new accounts you'll also get 30 days of gametime with it. If you plan on getting the Abyss+New Account, double check and make sure you buy the right Abyss package as there's an Abyss expansion without the new account and the 30 days, which is cheaper but it has no 30 days gametime. Both are the same Abyss expansion, just one has the 30 day gametime and the other doesn't, so that's why I say to double check that you're getting what you want.

Like others have said, you don't have to buy the expansions right away. If you haven't seen it yet, the Dev Blog Video shows that they'll be adding another expansion too plus you'll get to see what other goodies they have planned, I think it's pretty exciting to know what's coming.

As for the Luna vendors, with the vendor search in game it doesn't matter as much as it used to about having a Luna vendor. Players can use the vendor search in game by clicking on their character with they're in a town, moongate, or at their homes and search for items by name or by prices. Then you can get a map to the vendor and either walk there or use the maps teleport function to get there faster, which is what most people do. If you want to gear your vendors toward new players I'd think any location near a moongate would be fine. Personally, I tend to avoid Luna unless the vendor search shows a good price on an item I need since the lag tends to be awful for me.

Ooh! Also if you've been gone from the game awhile you'll also want to check out the vet rewards. They've added things so it's not just the old vet rewards you remember. Welcome back to the game! I hope you and your friends will join up and get to enjoy UO together :D

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How hard is it to get a Luna Vendor? Last time I played (1 year ago) it took me weeks before I could even get a response from a Luna Vendor.

I will be playing on Atlantic server.
Not to discourage you at all, but I own an Atlantic in town Luna vendor house, and have a list of about 15 people who reserved the next open spot, in addition to the current 65 renters....most of them said they tried to get in touch with the other in town Luna owners and were not able to.

It's definitely possible to get a luna vendor, but it will probably take awhile.

Christina Kardos

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Welcome back! Dont buy the expansions just yet. See the game first, explore, get to know the new content... Take your time :) . Btw high seas is mostly for fishing and big ships so its not really necessary. Neither is the SA, at least not at first.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will second that, you can mostly start the game without using the expansions, especially albeit that less people play now than there used to be. High Seas I wouldn't worry about and SA you can get by without while you gain in skills, money. Just saying.