• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hello, and goodbye

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Hi everyone,

My wife tells me that quite a few people have been trying to get in touch lately, as my houses were falling. Thanks for that. :)

I made a conscious decision to step away from UO several months back. I had to reset my credit card number, and found I couldn't log into the account management system for any of my accounts. Some change in either the client or wine also made it so the client wouldn't load anymore. But before I spent time trying to fix either issue, I thought about it, and realized that for the past couple of years, pretty much since the anniversary party in DC, UO's just felt more and more like work to me. I'd step away for a few weeks, then come back and spend hours, mostly just updating the wiki with the latest rares, posting here for their names, then going and finding them to add to the wiki.

For a while, I managed to keep myself interested by rewriting the wiki's Atlas code. It had been broken when we upgraded the wiki; it works now. I then went through and was working on mapping out the spawn for everywhere. If I recall correctly, Ilshenar is mostly done. You can see an example here: Atlas/Ilshenar/Anordkor Tereg - Stratics Community Wiki Hover over any mob's name in the list on the left to see exactly where they spawn on that map. And rather than manually updating the Hunter's Guide with where mobs spawn (which updating never has actually happened, so a lot of that is 5 to 15 year old info), adding a mob's spawning to the map auto-updates that mob's entry in the Hunter's Guide.

(For future reference, if anyone wants to add to that info, load any atlas page, then hit:
* Ctrl-o to show all grid cell IDs
* Ctrl-up to increase the cell ID font sizes
* Ctrl-down to decrease the cell ID font sizes )
Ctrl-o will also add a box above the map where you can generate the code to dump into the wiki to highlight the selected areas.)

Problem is, once I'd worked out all the technical issues to make all that work, I was back to just grinding data to get it into the wiki.

I've fought just about every mob, done every quest, cleared every dungeon, etc. at least a thousand times. I've been everywhere in the game, even incredibly inaccessible hidden places, over and over. I've searched and seen just about every rare item - and of the couple hundred I've not, I would have to say most likely don't exist any more. I had assembled and crafted beyond top end armor and pets. I've owned, held, and spent countless tens of platinum. (I also seemed to encounter just about every housing bug that ever happened, on accounts that were fully paid, and lost quite a few houses, including my entre rubble, EM cloak, and gift box collections. :( )

But the UO of today just doesn't have the magic for me anymore. I kept trying to find things that would feel like what had brought me to the game, but especially as old friends began to die off in RL, let alone those who just quit, that got harder and harder. I had hoped that the big announcement at the 20th anniversary would be huge, but letting people come play for free wasn't quite the actual solid content I was hoping for. Same for the events that followed; they were fun for a short while, but they weren't permanent things. When they then came back a year or so ago for a rerun, I realized how bored I was even of them.

For a couple of years, I told myself that I'd just sell everything that was left off. I even tried cleaning house and vendoring stuff. But really, there was so much of it, and so much that was high enough value to need auctions, rather than vendors, what I really needed was... well, Hidden Valley auctions. But noone had taken that kind of role up once I stopped having the time, so it all just stayed piled up.

My kids are now growing up. Work had already sucked up a huge amount of my time even before COVID hit, such that I really could only even get on the computer for a couple of hours on the weekends. Also, working overnight as I do, meant that even for my friends here who were still playing, I never was on when they were. You know what? You guys are what made this game fun to play even long after the game itself grew boring. When COVID hit, my work went from 40 hour weeks to 6 days a week, 12 hours a day, and my free time completely disappeared. The few minutes a day I get anymore to do anything other than work or sleep, I try to spend those with my kids.

I'd been keeping 5 accounts going, monthly, for at least a year and a half, while never actually logging in more than a couple of minutes a month to make sure the houses were still there. So with the account and other issues, I made the decision that it was time to just let it all go. Let the IDOCers have one big party, let the stuff just go. I'll miss my friends who were still left here, but it was time to move on. I hope some of you got some nice stuff from the houses when they fell. :)

Anyhow, thanks for reading. If anyone wants to get in touch, I'm on Discord at brianfreud#3227

Brian

PS: I hope folks are still keeping the wiki updated. It was a labor of love for many years; it'd be nice to know that it's still updated and accurate, even after I'm gone. :)

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You will be missed, my friend
Stay well and take care
Sending positive wishes and hoping for the best in your future endeavors

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm sad your leaving for good this time but glad to hear your still alive... there's been lots of rumors floating around since your houses were falling again. Safe travels my friend :thumbup:.

Pampa DH

Lore Master
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Man, I don't even know what to say to this. I am glad that you are well and your family is doing great, however I will miss our long drawn out conversations about selling stuff and finding the last remaining rares on your list. I've always enjoyed the hunt and you helped me immensely. You were a great asset to this game and community, and you will be missed. Stay safe my friend and take care of that family of yours.

Jonas

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glad to hear you are well and safe Brian. Best of luck to you in the future! Was always a pleasure interacting with you.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Happy Trails! Thank you for your invaluable contributions to Stratics and Ultima Online. Best of Luck!

blend

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Hopefully , come back when work settles down
It's sad to see you leave this game.you are One of the greatest players I've seen in the game.
I understand that this devoted man spent a huge amount of time updating WIKI and did a lot of work.
also, I was an honor to run a Rares festival with you on some shards.
Best of luck!

Dan(Tasanar)

Journeyman
Professional
UNLEASHED
Hi everyone,

My wife tells me that quite a few people have been trying to get in touch lately, as my houses were falling. Thanks for that. :)

I made a conscious decision to step away from UO several months back. I had to reset my credit card number, and found I couldn't log into the account management system for any of my accounts. Some change in either the client or wine also made it so the client wouldn't load anymore. But before I spent time trying to fix either issue, I thought about it, and realized that for the past couple of years, pretty much since the anniversary party in DC, UO's just felt more and more like work to me. I'd step away for a few weeks, then come back and spend hours, mostly just updating the wiki with the latest rares, posting here for their names, then going and finding them to add to the wiki.

For a while, I managed to keep myself interested by rewriting the wiki's Atlas code. It had been broken when we upgraded the wiki; it works now. I then went through and was working on mapping out the spawn for everywhere. If I recall correctly, Ilshenar is mostly done. You can see an example here: Atlas/Ilshenar/Anordkor Tereg - Stratics Community Wiki Hover over any mob's name in the list on the left to see exactly where they spawn on that map. And rather than manually updating the Hunter's Guide with where mobs spawn (which updating never has actually happened, so a lot of that is 5 to 15 year old info), adding a mob's spawning to the map auto-updates that mob's entry in the Hunter's Guide.

(For future reference, if anyone wants to add to that info, load any atlas page, then hit:
* Ctrl-o to show all grid cell IDs
* Ctrl-up to increase the cell ID font sizes
* Ctrl-down to decrease the cell ID font sizes )
Ctrl-o will also add a box above the map where you can generate the code to dump into the wiki to highlight the selected areas.)

Problem is, once I'd worked out all the technical issues to make all that work, I was back to just grinding data to get it into the wiki.

I've fought just about every mob, done every quest, cleared every dungeon, etc. at least a thousand times. I've been everywhere in the game, even incredibly inaccessible hidden places, over and over. I've searched and seen just about every rare item - and of the couple hundred I've not, I would have to say most likely don't exist any more. I had assembled and crafted beyond top end armor and pets. I've owned, held, and spent countless tens of platinum. (I also seemed to encounter just about every housing bug that ever happened, on accounts that were fully paid, and lost quite a few houses, including my entre rubble, EM cloak, and gift box collections. :( )

But the UO of today just doesn't have the magic for me anymore. I kept trying to find things that would feel like what had brought me to the game, but especially as old friends began to die off in RL, let alone those who just quit, that got harder and harder. I had hoped that the big announcement at the 20th anniversary would be huge, but letting people come play for free wasn't quite the actual solid content I was hoping for. Same for the events that followed; they were fun for a short while, but they weren't permanent things. When they then came back a year or so ago for a rerun, I realized how bored I was even of them.

For a couple of years, I told myself that I'd just sell everything that was left off. I even tried cleaning house and vendoring stuff. But really, there was so much of it, and so much that was high enough value to need auctions, rather than vendors, what I really needed was... well, Hidden Valley auctions. But noone had taken that kind of role up once I stopped having the time, so it all just stayed piled up.

My kids are now growing up. Work had already sucked up a huge amount of my time even before COVID hit, such that I really could only even get on the computer for a couple of hours on the weekends. Also, working overnight as I do, meant that even for my friends here who were still playing, I never was on when they were. You know what? You guys are what made this game fun to play even long after the game itself grew boring. When COVID hit, my work went from 40 hour weeks to 6 days a week, 12 hours a day, and my free time completely disappeared. The few minutes a day I get anymore to do anything other than work or sleep, I try to spend those with my kids.

I'd been keeping 5 accounts going, monthly, for at least a year and a half, while never actually logging in more than a couple of minutes a month to make sure the houses were still there. So with the account and other issues, I made the decision that it was time to just let it all go. Let the IDOCers have one big party, let the stuff just go. I'll miss my friends who were still left here, but it was time to move on. I hope some of you got some nice stuff from the houses when they fell. :)

Anyhow, thanks for reading. If anyone wants to get in touch, I'm on Discord at brianfreud#3227

Brian

PS: I hope folks are still keeping the wiki updated. It was a labor of love for many years; it'd be nice to know that it's still updated and accurate, even after I'm gone. :)
Plenty of opportunities to keep the magic alive on the emulation side! I enjoy the puzzles that present themselves, in various situations, when coding. If it wasn't for being able to code my own systems or explore those of others I would have walked away from Ultima long ago.

Because of emulation I still maintain my Mr Nice character account on Atlantic and pay them 14.99 a month. Basically an art asset fee at this point because otherwise their overall Ultima experience/content is junk. I still pay, I just play a different way.

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Great to hear you're still around .. Ya got more guts than me I couldn't just let it all go. LOL i'd have to Commission vendor / auction safe stuff

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A part of UO will be with you. I thought I left for good came back after 6 years since then I take breaks as well. You will be missed and I hope to see you around. Maybe after Covid over we can meet up and have a beer while are kids play.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Very sorry to see you go, but it's completely understandable, and we're all very relieved that nothing happened to you in real life. You've truly been one of the most dedicated people to the UO community, and embodied what makes it special. Running rares festivals like Chessiefest with you was really fun, and your work on the wiki has been extremely useful, especially to the rares community. Hopefully you'll come back to visit us on an Endless Journey account or Stratics from time to time!

Jepeth

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Indeed when your Felucca rares castle fell on Chesapeake the other week or two ago it was a party! The shard crashed and reverted twice in the chaos.

When another of your houses fell that had a ton of books a few days later I was so heartened to see how many people turned the books over to me to keep at the Corwyn Library where they will remain. I'll keep them safe. Good luck to you and thanks for the work you've done for all of us.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sad to see you leave but you have to do what is right for you and your family first.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Indeed when your Felucca rares castle fell on Chesapeake the other week or two ago it was a party! The shard crashed and reverted twice in the chaos.

When another of your houses fell that had a ton of books a few days later I was so heartened to see how many people turned the books over to me to keep at the Corwyn Library where they will remain. I'll keep them safe. Good luck to you and thanks for the work you've done for all of us.
Thanks. :) I'd tried to find a home for those for a long time, but every time, it fell through because the library disappeared. Literally storing those was the only reason I kept that keep standing. :p A large number I scavenged from Asuka and Isumo when all the Japanese houses fell. I had a large number of the IDOCers saving me books when they found them, on every shard, and would bring them back so they wouldn't disappear forever. There's a whole series I'd commissioned a copy of from the kingdom of Dawn on Baja. Others are copies of various seer and event books. In yet another wiki project, I'd written the backend to export those and store the text in the wiki (and translate it, so it was easy to read), I just never had enough time to actually do the exporting. It's over here Player-Written Fiction - Stratics Community Wiki Example here: Chronicle II - Stratics Community Wiki

Dixie chessy/legends

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You did so much for UO over the years, this game will not be the same without you. Your auctions and rares fests were some of the most fun I've had on UO. Everyone has been so worried about you, I'm so glad you are ok. I'll miss ya buddy, but being a parent now myself I totally understand. When your fel castle went down I was there and the 1st thing I said is, B would have loved this. Seeing all us idocers, all us unruly misfits you've helped through the years absolutely panic out at the amount of stuff we just seen hit the ground. Lol ... it crashed the shard 3 times lol...it was one of those I'll never forget! I wish ya the very best B enjoy those babies and you'll always have friends on UO if you ever have the itch :)

Snark

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Thanks Brian for updating the rares wiki and for all our in game conversations about old rares, it was fun.

P.S. I deleted your old rare sash collection that fell in IDOC, including the one of a kind set from the first day of the game. If you remember you didn't want them back so I doubled down on that conviction when I left recently. Rares aren't rare when GMs get caught making them and when there are more "new rares" than common items... happy Vas Rel Por back to the real world where TIME is the true rare that we are all burning.

Cheers!

Last edited:

panoramix2009

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thx Brian for updating wiki and your good auction spend alot money there :)

i know you like houses with extra floor i remember your desert malas on chessy shard everytime i go there all time the game crached loll

Stay safe my friend and take care of that small family of yours. :thumbsup::grouphug:

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Safe journeys, Brian, and thank you for all your hard work. You will be missed.