• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hello, am planning on returning and have a few questions.

Gromda

Adventurer
Hello --

I played UO quite a bit from launch until the mid-2000s and haven't been back since. So all the new content since say 2006/8 onward is totally new to me. Right now that only account I still have access to is an account I was working on at the time and it has a GM Fisher on it, though his skills are still a work in progress (80ish magery, etc.).

Any suggestions on how to best get started? I doubt I have much in the way of gold/items right now so I'd probably be better off starting a new character before working on him again.

Also I'd love to get involved with a community who plays together/chats/etc. Discord?

One last question, I noticed that there seems to be add-on UIs you can use to get a better interface. Could someone point me at that(them)?

Thanks for any advice,
Cort

Gromda

Adventurer
Just an addendum: I own all the expansions after an aborted attempt at returning a year ago.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Welcome Back!

First, it sounds like you are using the Enhanced Client (which is the only client that supports UI Addons), so you may want to check out PincosUI: Setup Guide

It's pretty straight-forward. Download the installer, it will self-patch, then rune the game through the patch interface. You can find support for the UI here: Pinco's UI

Also, if you are unfamiliar with the in-game Chat channel, make sure you are in "General" and not "Help", since you can only be in one channel at a time, most people will be in General. In EC, there will be a Chat icon on your menu hotbar (looks like a speech bubble), from there you can join "General". To talk in it, just use /c before your message "/c Hello".

As for finding a group of peopleto play with, there are usually lots of us on, even if the chat channel is quiet. I'd recommend looking for Phoenix and NANOC, or members of [DWxC] or [TPN], as they are always happy to help out new and returning players. Most people hang around Luna now instead of other town banks, so if you haven't gone there yet, you should find people there most days (Moongate > Malas > Luna).

Gromda

Adventurer
Welcome Back!

First, it sounds like you are using the Enhanced Client (which is the only client that supports UI Addons), so you may want to check out PincosUI: Setup Guide

It's pretty straight-forward. Download the installer, it will self-patch, then rune the game through the patch interface. You can find support for the UI here: Pinco's UI

Also, if you are unfamiliar with the in-game Chat channel, make sure you are in "General" and not "Help", since you can only be in one channel at a time, most people will be in General. In EC, there will be a Chat icon on your menu hotbar (looks like a speech bubble), from there you can join "General". To talk in it, just use /c before your message "/c Hello".

As for finding a group of peopleto play with, there are usually lots of us on, even if the chat channel is quiet. I'd recommend looking for Phoenix and NANOC, or members of [DWxC] or [TPN], as they are always happy to help out new and returning players. Most people hang around Luna now instead of other town banks, so if you haven't gone there yet, you should find people there most days (Moongate > Malas > Luna).
Thanks a ton, will check out Pincos later tonight after our D&D game! Appreciate the advice and will make sure that I am in the right channel and will hit Luna once I get started again. My fisher is indeed nowhere near ready for primetime -- he has a 78 magery and the rest of his skills are low so might figure out a good solo character that can make some gold and get myself started. I doubt I'll be able to buy a house anytime soon, but I figure if I can at least get back into the swing of things in terms of how the game plays these days that'll be a big plus.

Thanks again!