• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Bowcraft/Fletching] Heartwood Runic question

D

Darkrain

When making bows with the Heartwood Runic should I use regular wood then try to enhance or just special woods to start? Thank you for your time.

I

imperterritus

Darkrain,

On stuff you craft, begin with the material you want it to be. I'm not even sure you can enhance player-crafted stuff. At one point it was monster-drops only. Even if that is no longer true, enhancing has a chance of destroying the item -- a risk you do not encounter if you just make it out of what you want in the first place.

If you are concerned that the runic and material bonuses might not stack, don't be. They do. :)

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what is the wood and bow of choice for those who have done these heartwood kits? I think I have a pretty good idea, but want to hear what the experts have to say.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Many of the weapon properties have no effect on enhancing (I think the only ones that do are Luck, lower requirements, increasing durability, and adding elemental damage).

A lot of people are Ash-obsessed, for purposes of crafting, but there's really only a 10-stamina-point window where that extra SSI will make a difference. A few people like using Yew for the HCI & DI. A rare few, if they only do PvM, might go for oak, to get luck.

Typically, look at your target audience.

IF you're gonna craft to sell, and can't imbue, go for Ash.

If you are going to make for yourself, and can't imbue, choose your wood on your needs from Ash, Yew and Oak.

If you ARE going to Imbue the results, make out of normal wood, Imbue to the best you can, THEN enhance (as the properties that the wood adds would limit the amount you can imbue). Do note that in this case, Yew is the wood least likely to break the item in enhancing (as the other two add properties that make enhancing harder), but Yew will still be very attractive for the SSI bonus. Make your call based on what the wepon ends up with, after runic crafting + imbuing.