• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Bowcraft/Fletching] HEARTWOOD FLETCHING KIT CHANCES

D

Derrick83

Ummm. I just started doing them.. for the first time.. I had been doing the lethal darts quest and not getting ANY kits over LOTS of bolts. So I started to train up my fletching. I had 60 skill. 1st batch of 1250 boards.. I get a Yew kit. 2nd set of 1250 boards.. i get a heartwood kit.

2500 boards and a yew + heartwood kit.. my skill is now 65.8.

I am sure this will not keep up that kind of pace, but being as they said the odds were supposed to be 1/10000 the chances of me hittin that lotto right as I start is very slim unless something is up with the %%'s as people are talking about.

If I were you I would hop on doin some quests and see how it works for you..

I posed this in another thread but I thought I would make a post about this because I see all the locked post at the top about smithy/tailoring rewards but apparently whatever changes has changed the heartwood quest chances too. I ONLY tried this because I saw a few posts here and in the UHall about people getting more heartwood kits lately... so i started and got one..maybe we should get a locked through for heartwood too to try to get the results to see if these have changed too.

D

Derrick83

Ummm. I just started doing them.. for the first time.. I had been doing the lethal darts quest and not getting ANY kits over LOTS of bolts. So I started to train up my fletching. I had 60 skill. 1st batch of 1250 boards.. I get a Yew kit. 2nd set of 1250 boards.. i get a heartwood kit.

2500 boards and a yew + heartwood kit.. my skill is now 65.8.

I am sure this will not keep up that kind of pace, but being as they said the odds were supposed to be 1/10000 the chances of me hittin that lotto right as I start is very slim unless something is up with the %%'s as people are talking about.

If I were you I would hop on doin some quests and see how it works for you..

I posed this in another thread but I thought I would make a post about this because I see all the locked post at the top about smithy/tailoring rewards but apparently whatever changes has changed the heartwood quest chances too. I ONLY tried this because I saw a few posts here and in the UHall about people getting more heartwood kits lately... so i started and got one..maybe we should get a locked through for heartwood too to try to get the results to see if these have changed too.
UPDATE

Just got another heartwood kit. 2 heartwood kits in less than 25k boards. Started at 60 skill.. currently at 79.8 skill.

U

UOKaiser

UPDATE

Just got another heartwood kit. 2 heartwood kits in less than 25k boards. Started at 60 skill.. currently at 79.8 skill.
Unfortunetly that means the price will drop immensly making it not worth doing them if it's confirmed and too wildly known. Which reminds me erase this post once i post it :(

O

Old Man of UO

Unfortunetly that means the price will drop immensly making it not worth doing them if it's confirmed and too wildly known. Which reminds me erase this post once i post it :(
Unless your purpose is to make weapons and armor (dovetail saws) out of them, which is what I want them for!

Marcellis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After about 6k boards I managed to get 1 Oak, 1 Ash, and 1 Heartwood kit doing the Simple Bows quest. I was totally surprised as I'd only ever gotten an Oak kit in the maybe 40k boards I've put into this quest total.

D

Derrick83

Sorry going to have to disagree with what I "think" your getting at.

This is a GOOD thing. The problem is that people think that if they make them more common that its good for the scripters. In fact the scripters do NOT want them to become more common.

Its supply and demand.

Right now the supply is low and the demand is high. Scripters probably get 1 kit a day with 4 or 5 accounts running and make enough in the 1st week to pay for the extra accounts the use to script with.

2 things will happen if they make the kits drop more often. The supply will go up AND the demand will go down.
A. Scripters will be getting 5 or 6 kits a day PLUS normal people like the ones posting will be getting more too.

B. Demand will go down because normal people will not feel like they are FORCED to buy a kit. They believe they can get one on their own and dont need to buy from the scripters. More people trying to get one and less people just outright buying them.

When this happens the price will drop dramatically AT FIRST. THEN the scripting of the kits will no longer be worth the time and money to the scripters and they will move onto something else that makes more money.. then that leaves the market to the actual crafters to get the kits AND the money that they get for selling them.

Increasing the drop rate will be GOOD for actual crafters and bad for scripters.

U

UOKaiser

Sorry going to have to disagree with what I "think" your getting at.

This is a GOOD thing. The problem is that people think that if they make them more common that its good for the scripters. In fact the scripters do NOT want them to become more common.

Its supply and demand.

Right now the supply is low and the demand is high. Scripters probably get 1 kit a day with 4 or 5 accounts running and make enough in the 1st week to pay for the extra accounts the use to script with.

2 things will happen if they make the kits drop more often. The supply will go up AND the demand will go down.
A. Scripters will be getting 5 or 6 kits a day PLUS normal people like the ones posting will be getting more too.

B. Demand will go down because normal people will not feel like they are FORCED to buy a kit. They believe they can get one on their own and dont need to buy from the scripters. More people trying to get one and less people just outright buying them.

When this happens the price will drop dramatically AT FIRST. THEN the scripting of the kits will no longer be worth the time and money to the scripters and they will move onto something else that makes more money.. then that leaves the market to the actual crafters to get the kits AND the money that they get for selling them.

Increasing the drop rate will be GOOD for actual crafters and bad for scripters.
You forgot Bad for merchants like myself as well. Especially with everyone having billions to spend I want them spending it on me :).Though doesn't matter to me if it's scripters,kr users or 2d users"suffering cause there against kr. Just like any resource the more competition there is and easier to achieve the less value it hasthen the the price goes down."Remmember when bods first came out and the value of a bronze,copper,shadow and dull runics where? They were money makers" Now i be lucky if I can sell a dull for 500 gold a shadow for 2k a copper for 30-60k and bronze a little over 300k.
Am already competing with with some luna venders who have increased there stocks as well as players who began to toss high end fletcher products on the floor.
As unatteneded scripters don't use up time then it's no loss to them and it's pure profit though I havent many lately just other Kr users like me.

Either way it's the same as any resource,rare,item. The more there are and easier to get the lower the price goes. I have plenty of markets so no big if this market becomes barbed kit market or worse.
I just say take advantage on high prices for now and sell what you get try not to sell below market too much or not too many at a time so the prices stay up a little while longer before the inevitable. On the bright side you can make archer weps from it and try to get a high end one to sell for 3 times what the runic sells for at this time though sadly it's not guaranteed of that chance.

D

Derrick83

You forgot Bad for merchants like myself as well. Especially with everyone having billions to spend I want them spending it on me :).Though doesn't matter to me if it's scripters,kr users or 2d users"suffering cause there against kr. Just like any resource the more competition there is and easier to achieve the less value it hasthen the the price goes down."Remmember when bods first came out and the value of a bronze,copper,shadow and dull runics where? They were money makers" Now i be lucky if I can sell a dull for 500 gold a shadow for 2k a copper for 30-60k and bronze a little over 300k.
Am already competing with with some luna venders who have increased there stocks as well as players who began to toss high end fletcher products on the floor.
As unatteneded scripters don't use up time then it's no loss to them and it's pure profit though I havent many lately just other Kr users like me.

Either way it's the same as any resource,rare,item. The more there are and easier to get the lower the price goes. I have plenty of markets so no big if this market becomes barbed kit market or worse.
I just say take advantage on high prices for now and sell what you get try not to sell below market too much or not too many at a time so the prices stay up a little while longer before the inevitable. On the bright side you can make archer weps from it and try to get a high end one to sell for 3 times what the runic sells for at this time though sadly it's not guaranteed of that chance.
I can see your point, but as it is a casual gamer had almost NO chance to get a kit on their own. People were reporting 500k+ logs without kits. Think about that... to BY HAND, chop 500k logs... then with 1 account.. manually run through 500k logs...thats MONTHS.. I have been doing it non stop today and went through like 30k. It would take weeks or months at 3 or 4 hours a day to do that many and you STILL might not get one. As it WAS almost ONLY scripters could get these.. meaning they monopolized the market.

By making them more accessable they will move OUT of this market and allow YOU(the merchant) to be able to get them and sell them. As it was people had to make the scripters richer to take advantage of that because the time constraints were nuts for a normal 1 account gamer.

As it is.. people are now empowered to try it themselves and get a reward for it.. if that means they arent worth 15-20 mil or more now.. then so be it.. but it NEVER should be that you HAVE to have 2-5 accounts running 15 hours a day to get a kit in a reasonable ammount of time.. and using "well if we dont make the odds REALLY low, then scripters will make lots of money" as a justification doesnt work because that EXACT reasoning(making the odds of getting one REALLY LOW) ENSURES that scripters make the most out of it.

J

jp78

RNG was nice to you then, I went from 80-100 Skill and got:

1 Heartwood kit, 3 Yew, 4 ash and 6 oaks.

I turned in bolts, made, crossbows, heavy xbows, repeaters and a few bows for the record.

D

Derrick83

RNG was nice to you then, I went from 80-100 Skill and got:

1 Heartwood kit, 3 Yew, 4 ash and 6 oaks.

I turned in bolts, made, crossbows, heavy xbows, repeaters and a few bows for the record.
Well again these changes that have been rumored to have taken place have only happened over the last week or so.. so unless you went from 80 to 100 in the past week, your probably lucky to have gotten that 1 heartwood kit you did get.

As it is.. i just got ANOTHER heartwod kit.. thats 3 now on my venture to 100 starting at 60 skill. I am at 94.9 and did not get to play any over the weekend. So from 60 to 94.9... 3 heartwood kits, 3 yew kits, and 7+ each ash and oak.

I have a hard time believing its "RNG being nice" if I have gotten 3. Getting one within 2500 boards may be "hitting the lotto" but getting 3 within 100,000 boards when people HAD been reporting 500k to 600k without even one...Like I said getting 1 within 2500 boards id not enough hard data to bank on, but after 100k boards... the numbers are pretty consistent. I am starting to think that things have changed.

J

jp78

Just trying to provide more info to help with trying to figure this out.

I went from 50-100 last week Wednesday-Friday.

I didn't start doing the heartwood bow crafter quests though till around 77ish.

D

Derrick83

Just trying to provide more info to help with trying to figure this out.

I went from 50-100 last week Wednesday-Friday.

I didn't start doing the heartwood bow crafter quests though till around 77ish.

Hrm.. wierd because thats about the same days I started too. how many boards did you go through roughly to GM(only count the ones you used when doing heartwood quests)

J

jp78

Didn't keep track of actual number of boards since i have a ton from leveling Lumberjacking, but I'd guess around 120k boards from 77ish to 100.

G

Gwendar-SP

Too bad heartwood is not seriously available on Siege since the GZ in yew is down

U

UOKaiser

The run has definetly ended for me im getting the same rate as of runics of the past.. Anybody still getting good rates in the last couple of days?

D

Derrick83

The run has definetly ended for me im getting the same rate as of runics of the past.. Anybody still getting good rates in the last couple of days?
Well I got 3 heartwoods and 6 yew over about 120k logs. I had not been able to play much the last 4 days so tonight after I get off work I may be able to knock out some more.. we will see what results i get then.

U

UOKaiser

Well I got 3 heartwoods and 6 yew over about 120k logs. I had not been able to play much the last 4 days so tonight after I get off work I may be able to knock out some more.. we will see what results i get then.
Yea last 2 days a waste of time me being there. Pretty much check it out and see if your rates are still going strong or thats the end of it.

V

Vertigo

Yea last 2 days a waste of time me being there. Pretty much check it out and see if your rates are still going strong or thats the end of it.
I just got a Heartwood, 3 Ash and 4 Oak in about 30K boards making Heavy x-bow quest

U

UOKaiser

I just got a Heartwood, 3 Ash and 4 Oak in about 30K boards making Heavy x-bow quest
Im gonna try again this time am switching my quest. Was doing the crossbow quest before. Maybe am just stuck and the RNG gods have decided im not worthy any longer.

D

Derrick83

Im gonna try again this time am switching my quest. Was doing the crossbow quest before. Maybe am just stuck and the RNG gods have decided im not worthy any longer.
Got another heartwood kit within the first 4500 logs today.. did not do quest last night after work so this was the first test I did since I posted yesterday.

C

Caelas

I've seen one Yew kit in the 10k or so boards I've burnt through plus dart turn ins.

Are you guys doing just the quest that seems correct for you level of skill (Heavy X-bow vs Simple Bow and X-Bow) or making anything you can?

V

Vertigo

well, just did another 15k of boards and got absolutely nothing!

I tried switching between heavy x-bows, crossbows, and repeaters.

I'll try regular bows next I guess.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually unless you are a scripter, this is a good change, even for merchants. Kits will sell for less, but merchants will have more to sell. People *may* decide to get them on their own, but the loss of those potential buyers will be balanced by the scripters who find they don't get the same return on their investment as before and move to using those accounts to script something else.

Heck, I might even start doing heartwood quests myself. :thumbsup:

W

Wilde1

i was getting a runic drop (no heartwoods yet) every 3k boards or so when the bod change was noticed.

In the last couple days Im back to burning lots of boards with and occasional oak or ash drop. in the last 45k or so of boards got 2 low level runics.

I'm wondering whether its the RNG being mean to me or whether there really was no change in drop rate and a few folks got lucky on heartwoods and posted above (making it seem like the drop rate had been modified).

What have others been experiencing?

U

UOKaiser

i was getting a runic drop (no heartwoods yet) every 3k boards or so when the bod change was noticed.

In the last couple days Im back to burning lots of boards with and occasional oak or ash drop. in the last 45k or so of boards got 2 low level runics.

I'm wondering whether its the RNG being mean to me or whether there really was no change in drop rate and a few folks got lucky on heartwoods and posted above (making it seem like the drop rate had been modified).

What have others been experiencing?
Then I was correct. While the event was going on and not many people where doing the quest the rng was favorable. Now that the event is over and the news of easy heartwood runic got out were back to normal drop rates. Maybe in low populated shards some people are still getting lucky.
Or maybe it was a code glitch and the dev got attention to it when the information was placed on these boards which they said oops time to fix it. Without a word.

Either way it's best to keep these things to ourselves or else it will be ruined.

D

Derrick83

Then I was correct. While the event was going on and not many people where doing the quest the rng was favorable. Now that the event is over and the news of easy heartwood runic got out were back to normal drop rates. Maybe in low populated shards some people are still getting lucky.
Or maybe it was a code glitch and the dev got attention to it when the information was placed on these boards which they said oops time to fix it. Without a word.

Either way it's best to keep these things to ourselves or else it will be ruined.
I personally think it was the event.. while less people were doing the quest the RNG was able to work as intended... while the RNG is being constantly used it somehow is not giving the odds as intended... and if a Dev sees this and test it they will most likely spawn a vendor in green acres or something along those lines in which case they will be the only person on that server using the RNG and thus it will work similar to how it worked when the event was going on...so they will not see a problem with how it is working...

I have got 2 more heartwoods since the end of the events but it took about 2-3x as many boards to get them. Seems like maybe the drop rates may have been slightly improved, but its still definately a lot less than it was during the even...

Over about 4 days(doing it a lot on those days) I got about 5 heartwood, 7 yew and countless ash and oak.... now I have got 2 heartwood, 2 yew and few ash/oak... over about the same amount of boards... their for sure is a difference since the end of the even and it would be nice if the Devs could look at what we are saying and maybe run a script on a real server, in real heartwood so they themselves can see what the ACTUAL rates are...

C

Caelas

After going through around 50k boards, I have 4 yew and one oak. However, a guild mate has scored four Heartwood in the past week...he even donated one to our guild door prize.

Wondering if having a luck suit on changes anything?

G

guum

Just curious where this stands now. I did about 10k boards yesterday and didn't get a single kit of any type. No idea if this was just a bad run, or if they've really reduced the drop rate again. Has anyone done a large-scale (100k+ boards) check in the last few days?

D

Derrick83

Just curious where this stands now. I did about 10k boards yesterday and didn't get a single kit of any type. No idea if this was just a bad run, or if they've really reduced the drop rate again. Has anyone done a large-scale (100k+ boards) check in the last few days?
Well over the past 2-3 weeks I have used about 200k ish boards and got about 8 heartwood kits. I got one about 2 days ago.. i didnt get to play much yesterday.. they are still comming about every 20-30k logs for me.

C

Caelas

Ok, the guys I was talking about above has on a luck suit, 1453. Pulls up Heartwood kits, usually multiples, every day, and he doesn't script. My luck is 0, and I JUST now got my first Yew. (Previous posts were wrong I was getting Ash kits :( )

Seems to me luck has something to do with this!

D

Derrick83

Ok, the guys I was talking about above has on a luck suit, 1453. Pulls up Heartwood kits, usually multiples, every day, and he doesn't script. My luck is 0, and I JUST now got my first Yew. (Previous posts were wrong I was getting Ash kits :( )

Seems to me luck has something to do with this!
How long does he do it each day? I will try to put a luck suit on my guy and see if that changes things...

C

Caelas

How long does he do it each day? I will try to put a luck suit on my guy and see if that changes things...
Not sure how long he does it each day. I don't see him all the time at Heartwood, so it isn't constant. I build a 1100 luck suit last night, but didn't have much of a chance to test it before getting tackled by the wife. I'll test tonight and post results.

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been doing quite a bit of quests these last two weeks. I've acquired approx. 10-13 yews, 7 heartwood and to many ash/oak to count. Most of this was acquired in the last 5 days. I only got 4 ash yesterday, but i only went through 24k boards too.

Rewards - 10-13 Yew, 7 Heartwood, XX oak/ash = less than 200k boards.

C

Caelas

I had to take a break from the heartwood quests, but hope to jump back on it. I don't have the attention span (or time) to go through THAT much wood in one sitting. The guy I was talking to claims to go through 60K boards a DAY.

Y

Yen Sid

I am a GM Bowcrafter/Fletcher and yesturday I went through about 5500 boards and got an ash, then an oak, and then finally a heartwood, not too bad after stoping for about 9 months :thumbsup:

V

Vyal

9 heartwood kits in 3 days under 60k boards a number of yews and ashs,
I have got more heartwood then anything else tho :p

ACB1961

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
9 heartwood kits in 3 days under 60k boards a number of yews and ashs,
I have got more heartwood then anything else tho :p
That happened to me too, but its so random. We might get 3 hws in a day then nothing for 4-5 days.

C

cac

what quests are u guys doing? Whats the name of them> i just got a gm fletcher

O

Orthodoxyn

i would also like to know what quest you guys are doing to get these kits?

B

BadManiac

Any bowcrafting quests in Heartwood from the Bowcrafter NPC's. "a Simple Bow", "Ingenious Archery I-III".
Usually your chances are 1 Heartwood Kit in about 150-250K boards doing the simple bow and/or crossbow quests. Last few days the chances have been rather higher than that...

M

Myna

150-250k? omg that are over 20-35k bows ...2000-3500 quests .... its insane to do it