• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Heart of the Pooka

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There have been few people that I have truly trusted over the course of my lifetime. In saying this I do not mean one that you trust to tend your bar at night, fill a shopping list or make sure your horse is properly fed and bedded down for the night. What I mean is that someone in whose counsel you can trust and know that come what may, they will be standing with you in good times and bad.

James is one such being. I remember often when I first seemed to meet him, although in reality I think I have known him more years than I can now recall. He introduced himself as Daniel Flynn, and promptly told me;”I made that up myself.”- All the while nodding vigorously. Since that day he has been an ever present and at times omnipresent part of my life.

There have been many times that I have been at wits end, and found myself frantically searching for a solution to one problem or another. James would suddenly show up and with a few words spoken, helped me to find my way through problems. I know many times there are those who think James to be speaking a sort of gibberish, or perhaps even see him as a bit of a mad hatter. But if you really listen, and hear beyond the syllables, you will be able to find the wisdom inherent in the words he speaks. Unless of course his solution is to set fire to yourself, then you may wish to run like hell.

I am not sure how many years I have been able to see through the mists and behold the fanciful nature of life in a freehold. It was odd for me the first time I noticed that one of the people I was chatting to was large, hairy and blue, or that I was having my afternoon tea with a lovely tree. But for some reason, this all seemed quite normal to me. I in fact enjoyed my many visits to the three freeholds of Bedlam, Icefall and especially the Freehold of Roses. It was always within the Rose that my heart and mind found the greatest measure of serenity. And in these days there have been many times when I would give a kings ransom for just one more afternoon chatting with Sage before the fire, or the chance to see Elisandra hold court in the Crystal Palace. As the cold grip of reality tightens around the world, and the last vestiges of grace and beauty seems to have withered and died, it is within the magic of this Pooka that I can still find solace.

Dramora asked me how I seemed to know when James was around even when he was not visible. The answer I told her is simple. When the fae of Icefall withdrew into the dreaming, the balefire which burned in the caverns beneath Everthorn and Aegis were left without a firebrand. Had James not chosen to tend not only that fire, but also the one beneath the Freehold of Roses, the fire would have died off. And in gratitude to him the woods around Aegis delights in his coming. You can hear it in the songs of the birds, and smell it as the flowers, shrubs and trees give off the most delightful scents. Even the chatter of the small creatures who make their homes beneath boughs and down burrows takes on a more joyful aspect.

I sometimes wonder of James realizes the effect he has on people and things. And if he does, if it matters to him at all past the chance to pull some new prank- or enjoy befuddling those around him. . But it is the nature of pooka to pull pranks and tricks. To them it is not something they do so much to be cruel, but things they do to see what happens. They are very curious creatures. And sometimes, if you think it through some of James pranks had a sort of genius behind them.

Such as when the Knights of Kithrinwood were attacking Aegis one night, and James set fire to the hall we were holed up in. Yes, it did destroy the building, and it took us much time and expense to rebuild. James said as he looked over the roof at them “haha you cannot burn down the place if I do it first!” The Kithrin knights were either so amused, or felt so sorry for us that the broke off the attack, and rode back to their lands.

Was this act an act of madness? - Perhaps. But it also served to save many lives and prevented more harm coming to the Glade.

Through the years I have learned to look beyond the tricks, and to listen to more than just words spoken. I have found James to be a person of the highest qualities, and a creature of great warmth and heart. And once you get beyond the occasional fire, you will find a friend worth placing your faith and trust in. James may scorch your backside, or gate you to a place ripe with demons and dragons when you asked for a gate to Skara. But when you need someone you can rely on, there is no better friend to be found.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I came to know him more as James Bunny-Man. And it is with some wonder now that I realize how little it surprised me at the time that I sometimes saw him as a small bunny, sometimes as a goblin of sorts and other times as a rather tall rabbit-man with a most pleasing jaunt to his ears.

James rarely calls anyone by their proper names, preferring instead to apply his own made up names for those he meets along the way. For some years now Clive has been known as Beetle and Penrose is simply called Twitchy. I have never worked up the nerve to ask what it is he calls me, sometimes ignorance can be bliss. None of the names James gives to others are ever intended to be degrading or hurtful. To me it always seems more as him assigning a pet name to those he tends to interact with on a regular basis.

He has always had a unique way to look at the world and events around him. Perhaps the very nature of who and what he is allows him to see beyond the mundane reasons and things which seem to plague most folks, and tax the heartiest of imaginations. And though it may seem as though he has a complete disregard for the safety of those standing too close to his fire balls, in truth James is keenly aware of pitfalls most of us would easily over look.

There is for instance, a problem Dramora and I have been facing which weighs heavily on us. And James has tried his best to offer council and interesting ideas to help us dispose of an artifact that should really not still exist. And I know full well that should I ask him, James would take this burden far into the underground caverns where madness drips like honey off a spoon. He will tell you flat out that death is not so bad, and with him it seems to be a very temporary state.

I know full well that there are many who will pooh-pooh much of what I have written here. But they are the sort of folks who walk through live with their eyes always cast down. They do not see the rainbow as it traces a graceful arch across the skies following a summer rain. To them fairies are but a fantasy. A story told to daughters at bedtime, or used to explain why little boys can fly and never grow old. But to live in a world lacking such wonders, or where those such as James are called odd or crazy would surely be a life not worth living.