• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Havent played OSI servers in 18 years need some help please

dabrixmgp

Visitor
I just reinstalled UO and was gonna make a Tamer since that seems like the best choice for restarting after a long break. I have played on some free shards off and on but all have only been up to T2A. Im completely lost when it comes to modern UO. Theres just so many new stats on gear and all the new pets and abilities to train them with. Not to mention new skills like Necromancy. Last time I played a tamer we just used Dragons and everything was simple. Now it seems you have to train stuff to make them usable. I saw the template sticky above but since I dont understand any of the new skills they dont make sense other than traditional provo tamers. What would be the best template for someone just returning to the game with literally nothing but starting items. Also what is he best pet to tame for now and where should I start hunting? I used to hunt in Shame and Destard for gold back in the day so I dont know anything about the new continents. I go back to Everquest every now and then and UO isnt much older. However, EQ is still basically EQ and easy to pick back up. UO on the other hand now feels like a completely different game and Im so lost. Im trying to read through these forums, official forums, and UO-cah but i cant really find an idiot's guide anywhere as most seem to assume you have an understanding of all the new stuff thats been added since I quit in 2001.

Zorminius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Definitely a steep learning curve, not even sure where to begin! Keep researching I guess. I came back to the game after only about 6 years away, and after the pet revamp. I picked it up fairly quick, by reading the sites you listed above. Good luck!

pevil

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
It's a huge learning curve. I came to OSI after a free shard myself that was AoS years and years ago and even then the extra stats etc just confused me. I've never been hugely active since coming to OSI but am getting more there this past year or so. Tamer has always been my first love.

I still mostly stick to where I know. I'm often found in Shame level 1. I don't have any super awesome built templates. I only recently managed to afford a few 120 scrolls thanks to selling some anniversary tokens this past week. I'm taking it very, very slowly. I'm not even considering boss spawns yet but am working my way there.

The main thing is nothing has gone majorly backwards. So although the old mare or dragon tamer has gone out of the window, it's not because they've gotten worse, simply that other things are better. So I'm still mainly training up a few mares to get used to the whole system. A skilled up mare will still be able to kill the same stuff it could before but if you now do the new animal training on top of that, it'll kill more stuff. And then there are other creatures that are better. If you mess around on something that's not top end to get a feel for the new training, you'll pick it up. There are also a ton of useful threads on here telling you the 'best' builds for each type of creature so you can use those as a baseline and as you get more confident, tweak them so they suit you more. Giant Beetles seem to be pretty good from what I've read and are so easy to tame an army of so maybe start out with some of those.

Have a good read through everything. I was resigned to building a Sampire just to try to earn some money but am currently trying out a ninja build I came across that so far is a lot of fun and might be close to a Sampire for soloing stuff but I'm not sure. In other words, don't ignore things because it doesn't sound your sort of build. I never thought I'd be interested in a ninja one yet it's one of my favourites to play right now. Mess around, die, mess around some more, die some more... you get the drill ;)

Kir

Journeyman
I returned to the game a few months ago after 15 years lapse, some of the stuff that come on top of my head are as follows:
1. Pay a visit to Magincia, there are vendors selling pets, in case your taming is not high enough to tame your own pets.
- Do be mindful of the taming control requirements in the Lore page, especially true if you start training the pet, increasing their slot will increase the requirement.
- For pet selections, there are many different recommendations, I personally like to use Lesser Hiryu and Beetles, though I also have wide selections of pets. Triton is also pretty no brainer for a strong pet, though you cannot mount it... so it's a point for consideration.

2. Try to find LRC gears with good resists if you haven't, try not to use any with Reflect damage

3. Depending on your shards and money you have, do find Mastery Books (either from vendor or from Bard quest) and Taming Primer
- You can raise your taming by using the Taming mastery, though you will still need to raise your lore with other methods.

4. If you don't have it, try get a soulstone, they are very useful in different situation.

5. As for hunting spots (when I first returned), I did farm for a long time at Labyrinth, Miasma (scorpion mob), mainly for the chest which in return gives maps and junks for me to skill my Imbuing. This is using Giant beetle with high poison resist and Consume damage Mastery active, you don't have to heal your pet at all, just focus on looting and not to get aggro...

A good amount of time was spent on training pets in Shame and hunting in Labyrinth when I returned, It did pay off when Invasion events kicked in..... Just treat the game as entire new game, you will probably enjoy it better. Cheers.

Jimmydeanbean

Journeyman
I know the feeling! I rejoined UO about a year and a half ago and everything was so different. I think like others in this thread have already said while there are still plenty of elements from the original game as far the fact that all of the original skills and places still exist. There is so much more new content that it's very overwhelming. Since you'll be starting out fresh you'll want to use UOguide.com for all of the basics on how to train up your skills. Once you are able to control some pets that can pack a punch you'll be ready for some good gameplay. But it will take time to get there. I'm not sure what are some good places to get gold starting out that fresh. Probably anywhere in the old UO that has lower end creatures, like North of Minoc. Felluca gives bonuses to luck on all loot which affects the quality of magic items. Magic items are a whole incredibly complex system in and of itself. There are magic items you find as loot. There are crafted items that have been imbued. There are magic items that have been imbued and reforged. There are artifacts and rare event items. It's all complex but if you can try to find a suit that gives you 100% Lower Reagent Cost and as much mana regen as you can get you'll be able to do a lot. There are player vendors that will stock some suits like this that aren't terribly expensive. Honestly if you just ask in general chat, someone might even give you a lower end suit for free. Especially once you get into animal taming mastery you'll need that mana regen. the 100% LRC is great so you never have to worry about carrying reagents with you. Once you get into higher end content, you probably couldn't hold enough reagents to last an entire battle anyways.