• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Have you just started the game? Read this for player insight on what to do.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hail and fair thee well,

This thread is to provide you, a new player, with insight on what to do in your first week or month in the game. We are hoping to give you the insight that many of us have obtained over the last decade or more of playing UO. It's a great game that, IMO, will provide you with a greater game playing adventure than anything else on the market. UO has passed the test of time and we hope you will also. Be wary as the first month is hard, the game is deeper than anything else you might have played but it will provide a reward greater than the others.

We hope that you come back here once you have become a longer term player and add your insight to game.

Good luck traveler.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This topic is an excellent idea, and I hope that a lot of peeps participate. (The only possible downside I can see is: Exactly how would a new player find UOStratics, much less this post? Personally, I think it's high time EA officially "recognize" Stratics as THE source of info for gameplay and shout it out on the opening UO screen...)

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dear new player,

welcome to Ultima Online. You have entered a complex and challenging world full of adventure and friendship. There is much to learn ahead and we can provide you with any information you need. But note one thing: This is a MMORPG. There is nothing more important and informative than your fellow players. No tutorial can replace the information you can get by talking to others. So, here are my two only suggestions. Straightforward. No other info needed:

1. Create your char, it really does not matter much, which template you design. You will have no idea how it works, anyways. Chose New Haven as starting place. Leave the city (gate in the south) and follow the path to the shimmering blue moongate. Enter the gate and choose the options "Malas - Luna" (I would suggest "Trammel -Britain", too - but you will have to run some miles. So, easier this way). Go up the steps on your left. You will see players hanging around here. Talk to them... Say: "Hi, I am a newbie... Can you help me a bit?"

2. You can also try another thing: Join General Chat. Ignore the trash talkers. Introduce yourself kindly and say you want to learn this game. Try to find kind people, make friends, join a guild...

Everything else will come from these two steps (or one of both). You don´t need to know anything else. On DF, it would work perfectly. You would become Ally-Member within minutes and find at least 3-4 really experienced teachers that can help you out with basic knowledge, some stuff, some money. Whatever.

THIS is what this game is about: COMMUNICATION, SOCIAL LIFE, FRIENDSHIP! If you start THIS way, you will find all doors open lightly, everything gets clearer day by day. This game is ALL ABOUT how you and your friends behave, how you and your friends FILL IT OUT. Its just a sandbox. You can do whatever you want. It takes some time. There are LOTS of people out there which really want to welcome you! Just ask, you will be answered! IT IS ALL ABOUT COMMUNICATION!

Welcome to your new home! Welcome to UO (Welcome to Drachenfels, har har har!)

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been working at this off and on during some free time. It's turing out to be a much greater project than I had expected but I hope to have a copy by the weekend.

Thanks Earendil for adding the first posting!!!

D.Vino

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Praise be! It's definitely heartening to have found this forum. I know I've been over a couple others, skimming over info to help get me started, and was worried by how outdated a lot of things were. I've always loved this game and look forward to joining the community. ^^

qbradq2

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I remember the first release of the game. It came with no manual, only an instruction card. It told you how to move, how to attack, how to open your backpack and how to talk to other players. It then said "ask other players for help!". The first player I talked to ran me to the Brit Graveyard and tried to PK me :) The second one I spoke to pointed me to Stratics.

Mongbat Puck

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Great Idea, may I suggest you drop some books at New Haven on the shards for new players to see as they arrive. Many may not know about Stratics, and could follow a link. Happy to be back after 5 years away. If you see my pizza booth in Haven say Hey. I'll be happy to help.