• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hates to be in Dor's shoes here shortly....

• Thread starter luthian dargoth
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
L

luthian dargoth

I really feel sorry for the Mod's here shortly, All the flood of the new persons spilling over from the UO forums to here.

*poors Dor extra extra strength coffee*

G

You think Dor's gonna be stressed, you wait til you see the guy who has to read emails about the forums being slow. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

R

Reachwind

If I was still a stratics "staff" member I'd seriously be asking about pay. Volunteer work at a fan site is one thing but being the support staff on the official OSI board is another animal. Seems to me that this was a paid position on the OSI board.

D

Dor of Sonoma

Holy onslaught, Batman!

*jaw drops*

I just returned from work to this news....?

Nice notice. Thanks for the coffee, Luthian! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

*chugs it and races over to UHall*

aaaiiieee!

G

I know the feeling Dor - I just woke up to an urgently blinking ICQ from Pluffy! Acks! hehee

*might take up drinking coffee just for the occasion*

S

Shaman

Maybe if EA pays them support fees they can get rid of the freakin AD code that hogs up the bandwidth and takes stupidly long to load a forum page.

L

luthian dargoth

Big Changes for UO Stratics Forums
UO Stratics, in conjunction with OSI, is very excited to announce that effective today we will now be managing the official forums for Ultima Online. As OSI has already mentioned over on their own site, they will be phasing out the MyUO Forums over the next couple of days. To accommodate the players that will be transitioning over, we have made a few minor adjustments to our own boards (better descriptions, a slightly different order, a couple of new forums, etc). We have also done some mostly invisible hardware upgrades to help with the higher load of members. Other than that, the UO Stratics forums will overall remain essentially the same; so for those that are already active members of our site, you won't notice much of a difference other than having a lot more people to interact with.

More than anything, I would just like to take a moment to welcome the MyUO Forum Community to our site. And to our current members, I would like to thank you in advance for helping make this a great experience for everyone involved. I know that change is hard, but I want to assure everyone that the UO Stratics Moderator Team will be doing everything in their power to make the move as pain free as possible. I encourage everyone new & old alike to visit both our Forum Help Section and our Rules of Conduct Section. Also, at any time if you need help, feel free to contact [email protected] for general forum questions or [email protected] if you have specific concerns that need to be addressed by our Forum Admins.

Lastly, I would like to remind everyone of the various boards that we have available. Make sure to check them out:

OSI Post Links - A new page that will help devoted Dev Team followers track their posts on our various forums.

General Discussion Forums - 17 different forums ranging from General Discussion to Tech to New Player Help to Spiels & Rants.

Shard Forums - 19 forums focused on each of the UO shards.

Profession Forums - 30 forums focused on each other major professions found in UO.

Trading Forums - A place to get together with other players for both same-shard and inter-shard trading.

Guild Forums - Need a place for your Guild to get together out of the game? Then this is the place to come. Broken out by Shard and Guild, you are given the power to run your own forums here.

Thanks!

Your UO Forum Management Team,
Joshua Rowan ([email protected])
Xena Dragon ([email protected])
Crazy Joe ([email protected])
Cynewulf ([email protected])
Freyja ([email protected])
Bella Noir ([email protected])

General News on Front Page Now Too
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003, 3:26 PM EST by Joshua Rowan (GeneralNews)
Just a quick note to our General News readers that in addition to the separate Section for General News, we are now also posting it on our Main Page below all the Headline Links. Both options will be available from here on out.

MyUO Pages
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003, 1:17 PM EST by Teich Dragon (GeneralNews)
In a thread on the MyUO-boards Sannio posted the following information regarding updates to the MyUO-websites:
Yes, the MyUO pages will return to being updated. As we all know, a great many changes came into UO as of the Age of Shadows. The MyUO pages (guild listings, factions pages, and paperdoll displays) had some short-term troubles grabbing their information from the game servers. We were able to fix the problem, but as additional post-AoS launch updates were published to the shards, the MyUO systems needed to be updated a few times. I apologize for the lack of MyUO updates, but now that the AoS dust is settling, our Web team will be able to coordinate better with the developers and see about getting MyUO back up to speed.

=========
Sannio
Online Content Coordinator, UO
Origin Systems

T

thalia

a quote from the MyUO boards from Dor:
<blockquote><hr>

By the way, we were only notified of this change 5 hours ago, ourselves...and it's my birthday tomorrow, too, and I was gonna take the day off...oh well!

<hr></blockquote>

Happy Early Birthday, hun.

E

eXcalibur

*after waiting 5 mins for reply screen to load*
Good luck Dor and Kat... your gonna need it.... *takes a sharpie and marks a 3 foot x 3 foot square* this is my space... don't let anyone take it while I'm out

B

brokensaber

I just hope stratics doesn't adopt UO.coms procedures to delete feedback on subjects that may be negative or contravershal as long as its done within good measures. Like this..

Did UO forums move here because of the topics were to hot to handle? Was it because the post reflect badely on EA? or was it just bandwidth alone?

A post like that ...:]

hehe I'm always playing the rebel lol and can you believe I was a uo volonteer at one time :p

D

Dor of Sonoma

*grins*

Thanks! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

In an ironic twist of fate, Greywolfe and I have the same birthdays...and I am sure he'll be having just as much fun on his tomorrow, as I will be. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

B

brokensaber

Happy Birthday! Guess that tapestry could constitute as an early birthday present :}

Now its time to pick on the Devs :p

D

Dor of Sonoma

To tell you the truth, we Mods were not made privy to the reasons behind the change. Heck, we weren't even notified of the impending change, whatsoever. (umm...yikes?)

However, we HAVE been told that Stratics policies are to remain firmly the same. So...in other words, it's to be business as usual, except with about a kazillion more people...oh, and Devs. :)

By the way, in honor of the occasion, UO Stratics has erected a new forum at http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/uo/postlistdev.php, which will list ALL posts made by any OSI team members on Stratics...regardless of the forum or thread they were posted in originally. I have yet to check it out, but it sounds interesting. :)

C

Cwazy

"All the flood of the newbie spilling over from the UO forums to here."

Thank you for the terrific welcome!

Your post gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside!

N

NocteSonoma

Wow...how to respond to this....I guess I would have to say "Well, no real change from the newbies that are already plague the forums here." Generalizations are good, eh?

I'm not really a Stratics poster, I come here for Fight Night stuff because this is a good way that I can speak to the Sonoma community. But generally speaking, I find the Stratics forum network to be exptremely lacking in a few areas. Mainly in those of hardware/bandwidth/ads performance and the level of professionalism exhibited by multiple staff members that i have encountered.

Im one of the people coming over from the MyUO forums, so insult me and my fellow posters if you want. But before doing so, I implore you to take a gaze into the looking glass. Gratefully Dead(a mod here) has already shown us a shining example of the hospitality and kindness that we can expect from the Stratics staff, so no surprises, I assure you.

If you can't tell, I'm a bit angry at the way this has all gone down. It's a slap in the face from a company that has obviously decided that the bottom line is more important than a close connection to it's community and has decided to force us to a place that many dislike.

I will still read this Sonoma forum to keep in touch with the community and to do Oasis things, but the majority of my leisurely forum browsing time will probably be spent at Ianstorm.com

-Khel-
Oasis Fight Night Coordinator

G

Hi Khel,

Let me say that I am glad to see you posting here, and I know that many here are as well. We really do enjoy having newer faces in from time to time (otherwise we all get old and crotchety and too set in our ways *giggles*). In fact, I do believe I can speak for Luthian in this instance in saying that by "newbie" he meant nothing more than a new person to our forums. I am quite positive that he in no way meant any insult, in fact, I have never known Luthian to insult anyone.

I feel incredibly badly for you (and no these are not just words, I do deeply feel badly - I posted to the UO boards as well and had become quite happy in the Plants forum). This is a horrible time for people that called the UO boards home and I know, I just know that we would all be feeling the same way if the situations were reversed. I would be sitting her crying my heart out.

Please if there is any way that I can help out, to make this time of unrest any smoother, then by all means contact me, or even ask here in the forums. You will find that there are an incredible amount of good people here that are willing to lend a hand immediately for anyone in distress.

L

luthian dargoth

Not wanting to start off on a wrong foot. Kitty is correct in the term 'Newbie' that I was trying to imply...was in the form of all the new non normal boardies that post here regularly. To see you to start posting here for a week or so to me you would be a newbie to me... if I posted to the UO forums where you were for the first week or so I would call myself a newbie. Now I would call it an insult if I had stated it as in 'Noobie or Noob" in the slang term.

C

Cwazy

"I really feel sorry for the Mod's here shortly, All the flood of the newbie spilling over from the UO forums to here.

*poors Dor extra extra strength coffee* "

That is the actual quote, which not only uses the word 'newbie', but also implies that we are somehow going to flood these boards with meaningless posts as to make the mods here work overtime.

I think that Khel expressed the sentiments on behalf of those of us who feel like we've been forced to post here very well already, and I really don't wish to re-hash what has already been said.

When I post here, I vow to treat all posters with the utmost respect, and even if I disagree with them, I will also respect their opinions.

As far as newbie flood, I can honestly say that the reason why the boards at UO.com were filled with dribble was because they were rarely moderated, (someone would come in once or twice a day and lock/delete threads for 20 minutes and leave).

The rules that were in place weren't enforced, and people did pretty much whatever they wanted.

No posters, as far as I know, were ever banned, and there were many that should have been.

Threads were locked and deleted regularly, based on whether or not they agreed with other posters or that of the moderators, and not based on the terms of service.

People constantly flamed others, and posted against the terms of service many many times over, with no action taken.

But...in the midst of all of this...there were a few of us that respected each others opinions and actually had nice long threads that debated 2 sides of a position without flames or personal attacks.

This is the group from whence I came.

By looking at the boards at UO, and then upon hearing the news that everyone was going to start posting here, I can completely understand why a statement like this could be made, and honestly, if I were a regular here and heard that news, whether or not I posted it, I sure would be thinking it.

Although we come from 2 different boards, I would like to say that we are in the same boat, and are not much different from one another.

I can only hope that these boards are moderated on a regular basis and that abusive behavior isn't tollerated.

If so, I expect that the stratics boards could actually be better than the boards at UO.com.

I have yet to settle in, but I hope to someday call these boards home.

I have had a few very warm welcomes from several people on these boards already, and I harbor no ill will towards the person who made this original post.

I am still in a period of adjustment, and do not yet know what to expect here.

Please forgive me if I took offense to a post that I should not have taken offense to.

T

thalia

Cwazy,

I welcome you to the Sonoma boards, as well as ALL Stratics boards. You will come to learn that the Sonoma community is a family. Nothing is ever perfect but the members of this community are immensely helpful and very nice. We are not perfect, there are the occassional squabbles but who doesn't have them in their family now and then. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Dor and Kittykat are not just moderators of this board but also respected members of the Sonoma Shard Community. They live on the Sonoma board as much, if not more, than their in-game time on our shard. They are fair and I am sure that you will like them.

There is a neat feature on our boards that I would like to show you. Feel free to use it whenever you feel necessary.

At the bottom of each individual post, you will see these icons. The one I have pointed to is a "Notify Moderator" button. If you see a problem, just press that button and both Dor and Kittykat will be notified that there is something on this board that they need to look at.

Again, I would like to welcome you and everyone else (lurker or new members) and invite you to join in on any conversation, attend the numerous functions put on by the community, and all around have fun! I am thrilled that you are here.

As I said in the welcome thread, if you have a question, do not be afraid to ask and if you have an answer to someone's question feel free to help them out. If you've had a bad day and just want to let off some steam, there is a whole slew of board members who will lend you a shoulder or pass you some cookies to make you feel better. If you have had something exciting happen, please share it with us. If you have an event coming up, by all means, let us know so that we may attend. Don't hide; introduce yourself.

*hugs*

F

flatscan

Flooded as in many many more posts then the usual. Not that there going to be meaningless or waste of space, but there's already conflicts that pop up, and to have that many new posters (ie newbi's to stratics) there's bound to be even more, expecially cause many of those new posters are going to be upset (understandably) that there now forced to post over here. Let's not start off on the wrong foot and take things out of context. True it maybe could have been worded a little diffrently, but no ill intent was implyed.

C

Cymeraen

You know what is really funny, and shows how out of touch I am?

I originally thought this was a thread about all the people who were new to the game and as usual, after a few weeks of running around on Sonoma, bump into somebody like me who directs all (youngs, newbies, oldies and others alike) to check out the Sonoma Stratics Board for tips, events, and some help with whatever problems they are experiencing.

I thought this was a sympathetic post consoling the Mods for the hard work they were going to need to put in to kindly point people to the FAQ's, and sweetly reign in oldies who are aggitated over change, and those few newbies who can get a little out of hand, because thats what they were used to on the 'flame-o-rama' boards where they posted back when they played whatever they played before they came to UO.

When I found out that MyUO was dropping its boards, it all made sense. The MyUO boards tend to draw the new players first, and for the older regulars, many of their forums are borderline rants with the occassional erruption of flames and swelling.

Note that it is not because of the nature of the posters there, but the nature of the boards. When we all get miffed about what OSI does, we hit the MyOU boards and let them have it. Now the Mods here at Stratics will need to contend with those sorts of emotions from otherswise thoughtful and considerate people who have momentarily lost their cool.

Lastly, I know that when your routines are interupted, its easy to get defensive or take offense over casual comments, and nobody blames you for doing so, but I think we all would ask with varying degrees of tact, that you realize we are a friendly bunch, and to please try and interpret anything said here in the most positive manner possible. Odds are good it was intended in good spirit, and in those cases where it might not have been, at least rest assured that the troll will be left feeling unfulfilled when you reciprocate with kindness.