• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Has Death become almost meaningless in UO, or to you?

G

Hail: "You are Dead" oo00oo00oo. So What? Big Whoop? La De da? and so on.

Death has changed a lot since UO started. Most of that change was because players were to afraid to use the best items they had. Get Killed, and if you could not find a healer, and get back to your body within 2 minutes, By By stuff.

Right now death to most players is a nuisance at most. If you are not afraid to Die, then where is the real adventure at? The way it is now, there is almost no need to go back to your dead body at all.

Since this is NOT the way the game was designed to be by It's creators, have they overdone limiting the consequences of getting killed? I say, Yes they have, by a long shot. What do you all think?

ps: If you don't agree with me, I'll Kill ya. Oh, i forgot, you dont care .........

G

Either that or Darkfall, but Darkfall Open Beta isn't until Spring 2008.

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

Answers to both your questions:

No.

-Galen's player

R

Rykus

<blockquote><hr>

Siege Perilous.

Thats all that needs to be said.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

"Not where I live."

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not rich, I can't afford to die and I haven't yet got a single virtue item, so I don't go around in a blessed suit, I'd buy it... But I'm not rich so I can't afford a single piece.

So, in a nutshell... Not at all, I fear and hate death, I refuse to venture alone most of the time (which can definitely be a pain). But, I think the game is more enjoyable this way to be honest, I may be a 'Trammie', but danger is still danger when its dangerous!

*Continues to attempt to patch KR*

X

xxEvolusxx

I just sold 4000 feathers on Siege for 24,000. I'm ecstatic that I have 24,000 gold.

I'm trying to afford a bow that is 50,000 gold. So yeah, death sucks. Even when I mainly played on Chesapeake I was broke, and when I died most the armor I lost was crap anyways. lol

So although I don't have uber gear i can tell you this. All my armor comes from killing Orcs, Ogres, or Harpys. So when I die its not that big of a deal. I just kill a few of the above monsters and restock. haha

I

imported_Goron

xxEvolusxx icq me and ill make up the diff in gold u need for that bow on siege.
my num is in my profile.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<font color="purple"> I still get rapid heartbeat when I die
other than that, I have not much to contribute to this thread, just wanted to pop in and say

holy cow, is Goron a nice guy or what?
nice move, sir </font>

G

So wait, dying is a part of this game. You're fussing that it's not making people miserable enough?

When I first started, I remember one night dying because of a thunderstorm. I had a plant in my backpack which I'd been raising for nearly a week, spending all my hard earned gold off Haven low end monsters to keep it healthy. When I was able to log in, my plant, pet, sword to kill more monsters... everything was gone. I was so upset that I actually cried. Is that meaningful enough for you?

Since the changes and the fact that I'm no longer terrified to die and spend half an hour or more regrouping, I've been able to go out and explore the game and have fun. Go places I never would have gone before because there weren't wandering healers in a couple steps radius. Heaven forbid a game should be fun! Far as I'm concerned, a *game* should not be frustrating enough to move a player to tears.

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still dislike dying. Nearly all my chars have a lord title. Highly annoying to 'all kill' or EV some more daemons to pixel heaven.

I

imported_mr.blackmage

All death means is 30 seconds to 2 minutes of not pvping. PvP in this game is near meaningless now, so I don't really care if I have to go afk in the middle of a battle or duel or something. I just log back in dead and take 30 seconds and I'm back to where I was. Gold? I haven't even thought about gold in the past 7 years. I've always made more insurance than I've lost.

G

Well thats just silly. Plants grow just as well in the bank box as on your person. There was no reason to take the plant into danger.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Siege Perilous.

Thats all that needs to be said.

[/ QUOTE ] Bless deeds ftw

G

<blockquote><hr>

Basically, I don't think death in a game should be gut wrenching or ruin a day's (weeks/months) play. If it's part of a game, it should be something you want to avoid, but not dread.

[/ QUOTE ]

While, I cant say that any time except maybe the first week or so was death gut wrenching, I agree it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but really its a personal thing whether or not the loss of item or time bothers you to the point that you get really upset over it I suppose.

G

The only time I have died is this year...during Moonglow invasion and now from the stupid recall-booted out of game glitch. Before this I hadn't died since 1998.
(this being my main char...the thief char i use to steal from npc barrels not part of my equation

G

I have never understood why death should be a big hassle. I remember when Sunsword first started talking about auto looting your own corpse (we were at a Dallas luncheon) he got a huge ovation. Apparently a lot of people (those in attendance anyway) felt that looting your corpse was a big PITA.

Personally I think they should get rid of insurance (on Trammel at least) and just have everything blessed. The other games I play are like that. (mostly Guild Wars and Dungeon Runners). They have some small, temporary, death penalty but it is not too bad.

As it is in UO you still have to get back to your body before it decays and any uninsured stuff disappears.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

I just sold 4000 feathers on Siege for 24,000. I'm ecstatic that I have 24,000 gold.

I'm trying to afford a bow that is 50,000 gold. So yeah, death sucks. Even when I mainly played on Chesapeake I was broke, and when I died most the armor I lost was crap anyways. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me... I will give you 50k on Siege

Then you'll have the bow... and 24k

G

I don't think death SHOULD be a huge hassle. A small setback timewise, and/or the cost of risking your equipment by not insuring vs risking the gold to insure it.

Beyond that, what point does death really serve outside of a PvP setting (which is in dire need of an overhaul anyway which an issue in and of itself)?

However, I will reiterate a though I had during a thread on insurance and item loss...

Insurance should come at a cost.

An item that is Insured should lose its ability to be powdered or repaired, but change the durability so that the current rating is added to the permanent rating and the item takes durability downwards from there... at 0 it is destroyed. An item that is insured can be uninsured, but REMAINS unrepairable (add tool tip).

Items that are NOT insured can continue to be repaired.

This will create an opportunity cost a player has to decide... risk equipment loss due to looting but retain the ability to augment the durability and repair, or have "safe" equipment with a shorter "shelf life".

Beyond that, if you want to go into ideas on how to make death worthwhile in a PvP setting where it DOES make a difference in terms of large scale battles in determining winners and losers, then feel free.

In the PvM world, the benefits of harsh penalties on death are few and far between.

G

Yes, I find death is still a big deal to me.

Part of it is that I tend to adventure alone, so if I die in a deep, dark corner, it's not automatic that I'm going to be able to get out, res and get back to my corpse in time. Part of it is that I just don't harvest huge amounts of gold, so insurance is a non-trivial hit to the bank account of most of my characters. Part of it is that it just breaks the mood - I like to play as if there was permadeath (I wouldn't actually want permadeath because every now and then the client crashes or the the doorbell rings).

If a character dies, I usually quit playing it for a few days (after restoring lord status if it's one of the high council).

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

RTLFC

Looting another corpse is one of the reasons I love UO. Whether I'm looting a monster or humans corpse dry... it's freaking great.

On Siege, I love the fact that I can loot other people's bodies. Instanced corpses isn't all that cool... the players I kill should have to loot their bodies piece by piece... just like I have to. It's actually kind of ridiculous.

And lets not even mention that the virtue sacrifice allows people to auto-res up to 3 times a week... AND all of the items on your body auto go to your backpack upon res.

This is SUPER lame in terms of risk vs reward. Someone, who's a worthy adversary that I finally kill on the battlefield gets a re-res a couple screens away and all of their stuff?

I play UO in generic gear and have a large and well kept stock of items to keep me playing UO. I don't die very often and my gear stock is often on the rise.

The problem I have is that if I die... I'm carrying supplies and my opponent can have them. They earned it... that's what winnings about! And looting my body is all about trying to win!

I miss the days when anyone could loot a monster instead of this "rationed out" crap we have now.

Not everyone's a freaking winner in this game... if I win, I win. And the reason why I win... I hope is because I was better at something than you.

It's called competition. There's competition in everything! That's what makes it fun...! Sour losers have really taken some of the magic out of this game. I really wish we could get some of the magic put back in.

M

Maximinus Thrax

Do you run when being chased or stand your ground and die?

I personally find myself running from being killed in tram because it's a waste of time to die and have to res and resupply. (Also it is dishonorable to die alone). When I go to fel I expect to die so I don't pack kegs of pots in my pack. I usually lose 30 bandies and 12 total pots per death. It's so little that rarely do people bother to loot them.

So I do find death to be annoying when I don't expect it (tram). But in fel it's pretty much expected so I am always prepared.

Anyhoo, it's in my characters nature to get ganked...

"I have found the essence of Bushido: TO DIE!"
-Tsunetomo Yamamoto

G

Always been meaningless UO is a game not RL. But I do have to remind my self there are people out there that are so far out there that death in UO/wow are to them almost equal to the real thing.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

I think death in UO is pretty meaningless...6000 gold in a hyperinflated economy isn't even worth notice.

On Siege it's all good though.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Not on siege perilous where real uo players are.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea. All 20 of them

to the op:
What should death prove? That you failed? That you should spend money? If I remember correctly 3k was all that was needed to buy a suit of armor in the early days. If you couldn't afford it you killed skeletons to get some bone armor which was plenty good enough until you found more. Or you went to a dungeon and looked in barrels as armor used to spawn in them.

You went to the bank and put on one of your spare suits. Yes, even on Siege. Please...

I

imported_dexdash

yeah i came to seige to have more excitment "risk" in dieing alow its more fun my goal is to see how long before i get dismounted and ganked.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

<blockquote><hr>

yeah i came to seige to have more excitment "risk" in dieing alow its more fun my goal is to see how long before i get dismounted and ganked.

[/ QUOTE ]

That just means you PvP...has nothing to do with Siege. Lame tactics abound in a broken system...such is life.

If people abandoned the lame tactics PvP would be so much better everywhere...but we have to depend on the devs to limit their capabilities.

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

Death is always a problem...

The last time was: I was on a ship sailing around the Tokuno isles and three,
yes... three Water elements spawned... I was so dead. Try finding a healer
before the body on the ship disappears. I landed ashore and found a healer
with three Ronins... I had to go get the second key to boot! Then the Ronin
were so... I got raised six times before I keyed the ship and picked stuff up.

I must have been in Frenzie mode.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

K

Korso

Death is Bad! I dont like to Die. If I die in the game that means im waisting time rezing, which I believe EA should pay me for waisting my time not playing the game.

All you stupid people and your wanna be dieing. This isn't a game! This is my life and if I have to spend a single minute actualy playing this game I'll quit! I've payed $500 for all my stuff on Ebay and I better not even have a chance to lose it. What kind of fun would that be if I can't have everything in this game. I mean who honestly has the time to spend playing this game?

If I die and my screen turns grey for a second before I rez with all my stuff insured, thats long enough for me. I think we shouldn't even die in UO. We should have it to where our health goes down to 1hp, and then all the monsters who are attacking me will say "we beat him up good enough" and then they will retreat so noone dies anymore.

Go ahead and flame me! But UO is going to go down this path sooner or later cause im going to scream about it till they hear me!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hail: "You are Dead" oo00oo00oo. So What? Big Whoop? La De da? and so on.

Death has changed a lot since UO started. Most of that change was because players were to afraid to use the best items they had. Get Killed, and if you could not find a healer, and get back to your body within 2 minutes, By By stuff.

Right now death to most players is a nuisance at most. If you are not afraid to Die, then where is the real adventure at? The way it is now, there is almost no need to go back to your dead body at all.

Since this is NOT the way the game was designed to be by It's creators, have they overdone limiting the consequences of getting killed? I say, Yes they have, by a long shot. What do you all think?

ps: If you don't agree with me, I'll Kill ya. Oh, i forgot, you dont care .........

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh... This smells like a vieled attempt to whine about not getting any good rewards for killing someone, I'd wager dollars for donuts your just another greedy player miffed at the rules, either that or you cant lord it over someone when all you can loot is thier bandaids. lol

Maybe i'm wrong, just what I think...

I

imported_Hawkeye_Pike

I personally insure only the most valuable items I wear, like the Pendant of the Magi. Thus, I always try to get back to my corpse and retrieve the rest of my items.

You are right, the danger of actually losing items has decreased a lot. I hardly lost anything in the past 2 months. However, I prefer it being that way. I don't have to horde tons of items for replacement anymore. I think the personal grief level has decreased a lot, while the thrill has decreased only a little.