• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Has anyone managed to heal a Greater Dragon with no veterinary ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When fighting high end game (bosses and the like...), has anyone been able to find a way to keep a Greater Dragon healed without having Veterinary ?

How ?

Since the amount of hit points healed is always the same, I would imagine the most important things would be the fastest casting possible (4/6 ?) and a mana regen high enough to never run out of mana.

But would it be sufficient ?

Or perhaps it would also be necessary to cast spellweaving spell Gift of Renewal ?

Bottom line is, can it be done somehow ?

Maleachi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I run a 21MR suit and have about 30 meditation.
I can keep my GD healed with 2/6 Greater Healing against peerless without problems to be honest.

I am sure this doesn't completely answer your question but they are my 2 cents. :)

J

[JD]

Mysticism makes being a pet owner so nice, especially against monsters that have specials like Mortal etc.

Also agree with FC/FCR, if you are in protection (as some PVM newbs are) you are cutting down the # of greater heals you can cast in any given amount of time. FC/FCR is capped at 2/6 for magery.

Lastly I like to dbl click my bandage on pet, then cast greater heal. The two land at approx the same time, healing for 100+ hp. I can kill Rend solo this way in ghetto gear. And sure SW gift of renewal can help, in the EC I like to set it to target>cursor.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mysticism makes being a pet owner so nice, especially against monsters that have specials like Mortal etc.

What is with Mysticism that is of good use to a Tamer ?

Cleansing winds is handy, but nothing uber wonderfull....

All the other spells are just either offensive or summons or some defensive but nothing that could benefit a tame, really.

As a tamer, a mysticist could not even cast raising colossus because of the follower slots !

I fail to see how mysticism can enhance taming and pets......

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, with Greater Heal and spell weaving. Casting Gift of Renweal on the Dragon and using Arcane Empowerment if I start to fall behind, I rarely have to use vet to heal my Dragon when fighting (Dragon's resist 83/84/47/55/65.... resist >>>> hps).

J

[JD]

Cleansing winds heals for more, and cures and removes curses at the same time. How long would it take you to alternate between greater heal, cure poison, and remove curse - if you even had chivalry? How many times have you been in the middle of a heal only to have your pet poisoned, and your heal nullified? Yeah... Cleansing winds is nice for a tamer.

I played a myst/mage/tamer, with mediocre amounts of myst (around 100) and it was incredibly nice. I just haven't played a tamer much lately or I'd have explored it more.

SP stacks on anything your pet might be casting. You have alternate resist nukes to help your pet out... unless you are one of those tamers who just heals their pet and invises.

Hail storm > Meteor swarm. Have stuff attack your tank pet then run over, and hail storm away.

And no, you can't have your pet and a colossus. But you CAN summon a colossus to clear trash around a pet you want to tame................... or you can use one to weaken that uber GD while everyone complains how hard honor taming is to get honor. :p

Gotta think out of the box dude. Or at least experiment before you naysay ;p

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can keep a gdrag alive against pretty much any peerless mearly with casting. As someone above mentioned, my tamers have from 17-21 MR on their suits, 2/6 casting, max lmc, and usually 100-120 med. I will even heal my guildies pets in a fight, and I honestly can't remember the last time I ran out of mana.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can keep a gdrag alive against pretty much any peerless mearly with casting. As someone above mentioned, my tamers have from 17-21 MR on their suits, 2/6 casting, max lmc, and usually 100-120 med. I will even heal my guildies pets in a fight, and I honestly can't remember the last time I ran out of mana.

Nice. Can you please post your suit set up to reach those totals for modifiers as well as what are the skills on your template ?

Thanks.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never used veterinary to keep my pet alive on any of my tamers..its all casting.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never used veterinary to keep my pet alive on any of my tamers..its all casting.
Which makes me laugh, because I'm the exact opposite, I virtually never cast heals. I've never felt the need to drop vet. Sometimes I cast alongside vetting for an extra boost, but vetting is all I do 99% of the time.

My spellweaver will pop gift of renewal as necessary if a spawn gets tougher, gift of life is handy if you don't have any vet to resurrect a pet. I crammed in vet on that template, because she's also a necro so rather than stand casting heals she tends to do offensive casting while vetting. It's more a "fun" rather than "I want to be a god" template though.

The downside is of course, if you overstep the mark with a no-vet tamer and your pet dies...good luck getting a vet tamer to resurrect it. Worth having vet on a soulstone, because I've seen a few GD tamers in town invasions who couldn't get a rez heh.

Wenchy

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Imbued Royal Circlet with 5HPI and 2MR
Pendant of the Magi- 3MR, 30 LRC and 10 LMC
Rune Bug Carapace 3MR and 15 LMC
Imbued Leather Skirt 2 MR
Imbued Leather Sleeves 2MR and 20 LRC
Imbued Gloves 2MR, 2SR and 17 LRC
Orny- 2/3 FC/FCR, 10 LMC, 20 LRC, 15 Energy
Imbued ring 3FCR, 10 SDI, 15 LRC, and 13 each of poison and fire resist
Tangle 2MR, 10 Intel
Mana Phasing Orb 1MR, 5 SDI, 6 LMC
Conjurer's Garb w/Luck, 2MR
Shadow Cloak of Rejuvenation 1MR, 1SR, 1HPR, 2 LMC
Scrappers with 6 Intel and 1 MR (switchable for various slayer books)

Total is 2/6 FC/FCR, 40+ LMC, 100+ LRC, 20 or 21 MR (depending on which spellbook is used), 70/70/67/70/72

6X120 Mage Tamer (taming, lore, vet, mage, med, eval), with 120 music, disco, peace, spellweaving, ninjitsu, necro, ss, mysticism all on stones in case I want to swap things around.

J

[JD]

People mostly drop vet when they run tight templates (archer tamer, etc) and need the points for other things. With two +15 Vet jewels if your pet dies you only need 50 vet to res it.

I'd agree it's either worth having that on your character, or vet stoned. It's annoying to have to wait 10 min for that NPC vet res...