• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Has anyone heard of the Cold Callers Guild?

• Thread starter MissPoodledoodle
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
M

MissPoodledoodle

I was looking at the Google Calender and saw other Toontown events so I checked them out. They were from the Cold Callers Guild. Does anyone know who or what that is? :confused:
And does anyone ever go to their events?

They do a ton of Boss Runs every day. I was going to go to one of the Boss Runs to see what it was like.

:thumbup1:

F

Fangs McWolf

http://www.toontowncentral.com/forums/cold-callers-guild/101931-ccg-run-times.html

The CCG has been around for awhile (don't know how long) and is quite popular. However, their own rules are self defeating. The rules are designed to let everyone play without prejudice, but it leaves open the door for disaster. What if 8 newbies board the elevator? No one is supposed to hop off. That group is essentially doomed.

It's something to keep in mind, that despite the good intent, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

That said, I've been on their runs before. It is a good way to get a run in when you can't get a private group together and want to go with people who are most likely going to play nice.

H

Hile

Yeah, its still a good alternative than just going with all randoms.

S

SuperMac

I'm a little confused on how we are "sorted." It seems that the last couple of times I've gone, both on the VP and the CFO, the group met, and next thing I knew everyone was running for the elevator. When we went on the CFO elevator last night on the 1st run, there were only 7 toons on, all the same height (didn't have a lot of time to check their experience, but I'm still a cold caller), then they ran out at the last second, and then I think it was Trish got on with us and said "let's play again." It was funny to see ONE tall toon with the rest of us, but I was sure glad to see her! We did well, although the goons stacked up a little on one side and made me nervous! LOL! Out of the handful of times I've gone, I've only seen the group actually sorted (that I knew of) once. Is there TF communication being passed that is sorting us somehow? Like you said, it's STILL much better than just randoms because, although we had a very-little one last night, you don't have those terrible shuffles that make me just blow it off.

S

susan4633

the cold callers guild was established because some new toons kept getting shuffled off the elevator in the vp. (that's the quick explanation) they have had routine runs and actually have a schedule i still keep by my computer. my 1st toon miss lilac lady, died 7 times in vp until i found their website and found out i was supposed to play with the sound on to listen for the sounds the vp makes before he jumps. before i found this web site, i religiously ran with the ccg for my 1st toon. i attended the ccg training sessions for vp stunning and also cfo craning. i read their guides and for a long time that was the only way i'd boss battle. as my suits got higher and getting into the nutty river (the home of the most called invasions) was harder. i hated running factories for merits or bullions for bux without that bonus of double(or almost double) points for doing it. it got to the point where i was afraid to leave the river so then i started running with a couple of friends and randoms for the boss battles. after a while eric introduced me to this crazy wonderful group of people and i slowly stopped reading the ttc website. then i thought, i should help pay back for their help on my new toons, so i would bring one of my maxd toons to some of their runs to help out the new toons. i must say unfortunately what flippers said is true, due to the no shuffle rule, many go sad no matter how hard you try to keep them alive. i did a ccg run the other day for the vp. mostly low suits (not an indication of how experienced they were since one was an uber) and me (holly 50) and one other holly. no matter how much we tried to guide the toons to lure left, kill right which is the mantra of the ccg, we had one bunny who insisted on doing his own thing. also lure failed repeatedly as did sound, so trying to get the vp down the ramp were 3 of us, the other holly and the bunny and me. i tried to tu the bunny but he ran from me and missed every jump. since i was taking major damage i felt the best i could do was to pie the hole and get him over the side as soon as possible. the bunny died. :( the other holly and i got the vp to the edge but phantom jumps and the other holly died. i finished it alone 15 minutes later with 20laff. so moral of story? read everything you can about how to fight the bosses, ask your friends questions, listen to what they say, they KNOW mostly what they are talking about and yell for help when you need it. we try to keep low laff toons on our radar but if you run from our help there isn't much else we can do if we don't have tu unites. and MAC for a CFO marathon like last night, you pack the elevator and keep running back until no one wants to run again. it isn't organized like our regular boss runs on sunday night. Re the vp runs on sunday, we've had so many new toons joining us and everyone running around that trish can't keep count. if people would form a circle and stay still she could get an accurate idea of how many we are and settle us in groups. but because people don't stop moving there isn't any way for her to know how many people there are. perhaps our moving to a new district will help. it seems that from nutty river down, it is green most of the time, which means in addition to our newer friends, we also have randoms who join us. sorry for being longwinded, but i wanted to throw out as much info as i could to address some of the posts here.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's something to keep in mind, that despite the good intent, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

That said, I've been on their runs before. It is a good way to get a run in when you can't get a private group together and want to go with people who are most likely going to play nice.
CCG isn't about winning. They are about giving everyone the chance to go. So to that end, they are not a disaster waiting to happen. You just have to realize the reason for the CCG as you're dying. lol

Yeah, its still a good alternative than just going with all randoms.
That I agree with. I've gone on a few CCG runs here and there but was never an active member. Nothing ever went the way it was supposed to (as per their guidelines). But, being one who tries to organize runs, I can understand that.

I'm a little confused on how we are "sorted."
Check the events posts for more clarification. We load and go on the VP mainly for the reasons Susan said. Like the CCG does, I would hope the larger suits would try to split themselves up, but like the CCG, sometimes it can't happen. As for last night.. CFO night has a different goal; to collect Toonup unites. So we just load and go on Tuesdays too. And if we ever get an SOS shopping event going, it'll be the same thing.

princess kitty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://www.toontowncentral.com/forums/cold-callers-guild/101931-ccg-run-times.html

What if 8 newbies board the elevator? No one is supposed to hop off. That group is essentially doomed.
Happened to us today. More than half of us were bottom feeders. We ended up with only 5 toons on the jury. We were at it for what seemed like forever and then there were 3 of us left. LD missed a jump while getting evidence and ended up in the playground. :(

However, most of the higher suits usually do get on. I notice that there are at least a couple on the elevator sides who are ready to pack the elevator. Not sure if this is on purpose though.

While this forum was down, we wanted to do vp and cfo but couldn't (still can't) stand the shuffling. The CCG is a pretty good option for that problem. Plus, player quality is better than average and as they say, mortality rate is pretty low.

M

MissPoodledoodle

From what you guys are saying, it sounds like it's worth checking out. I'm 10 VP runs from maxing my suit:thumbup: , so I was looking for somewhere to do VP runs fast. I love Sundays, they help out SO much! Thanks for all the info!

:thumbup1:

F

Flippers

LOL Susan. LINEBREAK!!!

heh

yes, the CCG can be a disaster waiting to happen sometimes.

First, if you dont have a lot of laff padding, avoid their runs like the plague on holidays and weekends.

Second, a general rule is to wait and not be quick to run in when it's time. The itchy toons are the first at the elevator and the veteran members hang back and wait. Some because they want to hang with their friends and some because they have full suits and want those working on promotions to have a chance. Anyway, if you rush in RIGHT at the time, you're more likely going to be with inexperienced toons who are game to bail if things arent easy enough and the griefer toons who read their boards and join the run just to make trouble.

Third, because of their no-shuffle policy, it's become a babysitting service. Parents will plop their kids unattended with a CCG run (see first point). If you bring up that some orange dog killed off half the players with bike horns, some angry regular is likely to reply in the thread "that was MY five year old son! You have some nerve blah blah blah" which happened to me a while back, even though I didn't name names. Anyway I stopped reporting and go when I can't get a better arrangement. With my ubers I am careful to go only at times where all regulars are likely to be playing - let my reason for going sad be from the cogs or gags. I'm not there to die by toon.

S

sad_faerie

I have done a few runs with them and was not crazy about it. They do have a lot of rules and that's fine, if people follow them. Still waiting to see that. I prefer to go with ATTA, mainly bc the members there are adults and it seems to go much more smoothly. I have yet to see anyone go sad on one of their runs. It is very reassuring to me. ^_^

F

Fangs McWolf

Happened to us today. More than half of us were bottom feeders. We ended up with only 5 toons on the jury. We were at it for what seemed like forever and then there were 3 of us left. LD missed a jump while getting evidence and ended up in the playground. :(
Even those with high level suits can be newbies. But it does show the point, that it's self-inducing flaw. In all fairness though, just about every idea will have some flaw that will generate the same results.

From what you guys are saying, it sounds like it's worth checking out. I'm 10 VP runs from maxing my suit:thumbup: , so I was looking for somewhere to do VP runs fast. I love Sundays, they help out SO much! Thanks for all the info!
The best way to do any boss runs are with experienced friends in a private group. After that, scheduled events with unknowns (CCG being the best example) and then finally, complete randoms. I've gone on a few of their runs and don't recall ever going sad from it. I just prefer to go on the Stratics runs because it's a smaller collection of players and I know that they know how to play, so it's very unlikely for someone to go sad (except for being low laff, lag, bad luck, etc).

Third, because of their no-shuffle policy, it's become a babysitting service. Parents will plop their kids unattended with a CCG run (see first point). If you bring up that some orange dog killed off half the players with bike horns, some angry regular is likely to reply in the thread "that was MY five year old son! You have some nerve blah blah blah" which happened to me a while back, even though I didn't name names.
Yeah and watch, when their child becomes a failure in life, they'll blame everyone in the world except themselves. I don't have anything against them letting their child play on TT, but they should let them play their own toon, so they can learn from it without causing disaster in a boss run.

S

susan4633

sorry flippers. i tried to edit it by adding line spaces but it didn't work.

S

SuperMac

"Re the vp runs on sunday, we've had so many new toons joining us and everyone running around that trish can't keep count. if people would form a circle and stay still she could get an accurate idea of how many we are and settle us in groups. but because people don't stop moving there isn't any way for her to know how many people there are. perhaps our moving to a new district will help. it seems that from nutty river down, it is green most of the time, which means in addition to our newer friends, we also have randoms who join us."
Right... I remember you telling me to try to get into a circle, and I passed that on to the 3 toons that came with me, so we tried to do that, but that orange Rodney was pushing his way through, others were running around. Two of those I brought are new members to this stratics board, 90+ laffs, so I thought they would fit in well, but they were totally lost as to what was going on and it was nothing like what I had told them. It all turned out okay, but it was a madhouse! Susan, you've been my role model for being a bigger toon, and I think it is so nice of you to show up at a run to help less experienced toons survive battles and give advice. I'm planning on doing that too, and I have a 3-4 50-laffers and 2-3 smaller ones that I show up to help when I can, building or factory. I was wondering if there wouldn't be a way for everyone who wants to go to meet at someone's home, in a quiet district, and then go one group at a time to the elevator? Just bare beginnings of thought there.... it's 5 a.m. here, so my brain isn't at its highest functioning! LOL!

F

Flippers

sorry flippers. i tried to edit it by adding line spaces but it didn't work.
I was kidding :p

I don't have anything against them letting their child play on TT, but they should let them play their own toon, so they can learn from it without causing disaster in a boss run.
Well Wolfie that's part of the problem. Them using their parents' toons or parents working up their kids' toons instead of letting the kid learn and earn on their own so they're READY for a big boss battle and can grasp the concept of teamwork and sacrifice.

IMHO a responsible adult will not let a kid on the Internet unattended. It's insane. "Here Junior: there's a candy shop at the other end of this red light district. Here's your candy money. You know how to do it: just walk that way. We'll pick you up later. Bye." Same thing.

F

Fangs McWolf

Well Wolfie that's part of the problem. Them using their parents' toons or parents working up their kids' toons instead of letting the kid learn and earn on their own so they're READY for a big boss battle and can grasp the concept of teamwork and sacrifice.
I helped my son a little bit by working his toon to about 50 laff. More to show him that it's quite easy to progress his toon if he just does what the tasks call for. After that, I showed him how to decide which tasks to pick and how to understand what he needs to do. Since then he's gotten his toon up to 106 laff and should be 110 sometime soon. He's gone into VP and CFO runs and some friends have played with him and reported back to me that he's a good player. The basic rule that I've expressed to him is to try to pick gags that work with what others are doing. If someone is trapping, pick lure. Someone needs toonup, help them. Someone using drop, squirt the cog to stun them. Obvious each battle is different, but the basic idea is to help the team and not pick gags like he's the only one there. His reading skills are a bit advanced too.. Go figure, those speedchat phrases DO serve a purpose! :D

princess kitty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We share a toon in the family (now) but it was my daughter who did the first 5 playgrounds, the factory, who brought the laff up to the 70's. Since then, it's been hard to tell who was responsible for what.

She has read and re-read the stratics guide, watched and learned from the youtube videos. I do stay with her when she does runs the first few times because she gets anxious at the elevator.

But ours is a case of parents using their kids toon because they're too lazy to work up their own. :blushing:

princess kitty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That made me LOL. You may be the only one!
I wouldn't be surprised.

The few times I do want to work my low laff toon, I can't. Only one PC to work with and my daughter is on by the time I get home.

I've been having graphics problems (blinking blue everything) when I've tried using my laptop. Not to mention I'd need to get a second account and the account would have to be a US one for me to be able to run it on my mbp. For some strange reason the SEA toontown version doesn't run on macs.